TMP - Wiki

Nathan Sane

First Post
I went ahead and started the creation process on commwikis, if needs be we can move whatever content we have there to another place if its deemed more feasible, I will supply the addy once I get it.

Bhryn

First Post
I'm a little last to this, as I've been thinking it over, but here are some points to consider about the content (as I've seen it everywhere else):

1. Consider what has 'definitely' happened and what 'hasn't' happened. It's not good if seven people will cite different events, ie: Luke says that World War 3 happened and lists details but Mark in contrast says World War 3 was more like the Gulf War 3, yet Sarah cites that it never happened at all. Did it or did it not happen? To get the major details correct, you'd have to go rummaging around the old thread.

2. It's been a few years since the TMP even instated itself, so it follows linear time like we do (none of this time distortion rubbish) - so there'll have been advancements even then in the future.

3. Alien races (we know they exist, it was stated as such) - you'll need to document them before people can edit them.

4. Technology and advances, including fields of medical, bio-mechanical, mechanical, war, research, etc etc. You'll have to consider what is firm fact, what is still being researched, etc. Such as cloning, probably not a perfect process and has been strictly limited to medical aid, like regrowing a kidney for someone with diabetes. The black market always has rogue 'medical researchers' and whatnot on it, so what would the availability of it be?

5. As was suggested, the state of world affairs. Is America and the UK still chummy? Has Japan dominated the technology market (more than it does already). Has Russia finally fully cast off the chains of opression and on the flipside, is China getting worse under communist regime?

6.Diseases. What has been cured, what hasn't - what new diseases have cropped up, their effects and lethal/non lethal, also, the cures?

7. Supernatural beings - I think this would be more of a 'rumour' page, as they aren't technically supposed to exist in the TMP setting, except as wild speculation. Of course, we -know- they exist, but in modern times, it's really not cool to parade about as a freak. The social stigmas they might find attached to themselves.

8. Religion. Always a bit awkward to tackle but its the future of our own world. Has religion managed to come to terms with each other? This one will need a lot of thought.

9. Clothes and fashion style - is green the new black? What's the socially acceptable weight? Food and of course, eating habits...

10. Which does bring us to general habits such as food, groceries, living arrangements, the price of the dollar, the credit, etc etc.

...it's a lot to consider and I know Nathan is busy setting up the server, but I thought I'd throw a few ideas out there for people to chew over for when the time comes that the server is up and editable.

--Nathan, a lot of people will be willing to put silly information down into the TMP, so perhaps having a system where it can be reviewed by someone before it is approved for posting would be a good idea too?

Bhryn xxx

Sienna_Rose

First Post
Bhryn said:
8. Religion. Always a bit awkward to tackle but its the future of our own world. Has religion managed to come to terms with each other? This one will need a lot of thought.

Religion has been warring for hundreds, if not thousands of years. Denominations of the same religion can't even get along, let alone different religions. I don't think that will improve in the next 25 - 30 years.

Bhryn said:
9. Clothes and fashion style - is green the new black? What's the socially acceptable weight? Food and of course, eating habits...

10. Which does bring us to general habits such as food, groceries, living arrangements, the price of the dollar, the credit, etc etc.
I think these are already established by the clothing and behavior of the folk in TMP. Of course, that's general fashion that people actually wear. The fashion world itself could have completely different ideas. ..
And, while we're on the subject of food. . what *is* purple stuff? And, is "jet fuel" really jet fuel, or just some really stout drink?? ;)

Bhryn

First Post
I think we had a drinks list at some point... I'm sure it can be dug up again. It listed everything in the drinks!

Adeleana

First Post
I think Nate is doing this to bring not only the TMP ideas together, but to expand that outside of New York City. We shouldn't exclude topics just because they might be established in the club already. New York is just one state one the face of the earth, and the world certainly isn't going to follow the opinions of one club in the middle of it. People like playing chars from far off places, and things are bound to be a little different there.

Religion is a hot topic. It has a lot to do with personal feelings on it. Although it might not have changed, our opinion and priorities have. I wouldn't expect it to get better over night, but our view on it might have been altered along the way. A perfect example of that is how the country feels about Iraq now, compared to 30 or so years ago when it wasn't as big on our minds as Vietnam was. These are conflicts I'm talking about, but it does shape religious principals as a whole for most people by defining what is 'right' and what is 'wrong'.

As mentioned clothing and fashion is going to be different outside of the club. New York fashion is different from L.A fashion. Not to mention other countries take on it. Sometimes you can tell a lot about a person by what clothing they wear, and the fashion world is already so dynamic as is. Not just current matters come in to play here. Remember we are trying to fill in a gap. In our case, what is fashion history with out the horror we call the 80's ;)?

I'm not implying that we go over every last city, state, and country. Only that we should touch on what we deem has stood out over the past 30 years, and is important for them up to date. Most of the details are going to be in the local events, but it's just as important to branch out past that as well.

Nathan Sane

First Post
Bhryn>
Actually I am not setting up the server they do all the hard work, they just email when it is ready and I will post it when its ready, I have an easy job. Now about the topics your brought up, most of them are brilliant and need to be added to the meeting place.
Bhryn said:
I may be off base, but it would probably be best ot keep religion toned down in the meeting place, as arguments over religion in the future will only lead to hurt feelings.

Magi_Gabriel

Foppish Technocrat
I should point out we did try this initially when the room was formed and eventually the best conclusion was, at that time, at least, to leave things as wide and open as possible so as to allow people to have all the types of modern/future characters they want without feeling like there's a very finite list of possibilities.

Topics like world politics, alien races, religion, etc tend to get messy because the people who want to write them have a grand vision that frequently doesn't mesh with the grand vision of the other people.

Topics like music, culture movements, drinks, fun new inventions, etc work much better for general input. Major issues like political shifts, major legal shifts, etc tend to ruffle feathers unless handled carefully.

Nathan Sane

First Post
That was mostly my intent, Gabe-gabe, more cultural than geopolitical. Its just hard to play characters whose frame of referances has to be set 30+ years in the past.

Remove ads