• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

To create a Drow Paladin

FurryFighter

First Post
So I got stats 16 10 10 11 18 with point buy (and +2 dex, cha).

I haven't yet figured out if I want to do two hand weapons or 1h + shield.

Are these beginning stats good for either, or does it lean towards one type? I think I will take the charisma at wills (they worked very nice on my last 2h pal, but the group broke apart so it went flush), as I like the sort of debuff/controller aspect of them. Can one that specializes in charisma based hits do as well with 2h as 1h + shield? I ask because the 4th phb says it is recommended to use sword and shield, but I can't seem to figure out why.

thoughts, advice?

swiftgoose

First Post
paladin powers

There aren't to many powers in the paladin class that allow you to use two weapons. That means you'll have to spend a significant amount of feats multiclassing to ranger to get two attacks.

Sgt_Shock

First Post
Well...

You could dual wield and just bite the measly +1 damage increase. You could also just tell everyone that just because you're rolling once and the PHB says you're just using one weapon, you're really attacking with both. Sounds like harmless rule-bending (if even that) to me.

aurance

Explorer
The OP is talking about two-hander, not dual wielding. :)

Anyway, you can do just fine as a Cha paladin with a two-hander. The Str powers tend to be focused slightly more on damage, and Cha powers just a bit more on status effects, but with Divine Power there's enough variety to wield whatever weapon you want.

Sgt_Shock

First Post
The OP is talking about two-hander, not dual wielding. :)

Anyway, you can do just fine as a Cha paladin with a two-hander. The Str powers tend to be focused slightly more on damage, and Cha powers just a bit more on status effects, but with Divine Power there's enough variety to wield whatever weapon you want.

XD! Man, I feel dumb. For some reason I read two Hand-weapons. Either that, or I read Drow and immediately thought of a certain fantasy icon's weapon style.

FurryFighter

First Post
thanks. I had a feeling towards that, because I couldnt conclusively reason that a 2h would be less powerful as the phb says, other than having the obviously large damage dump per a single attack if you hit with a holy strike or so with a 2h.

settled on greataxe and 16 10 10 11 14 17 stats, plate, toughness (Feat), intimidate, history, religion (oblig), and heal.

as it turns out, the townspeople where he grew up is suspicious of him despite being raised by the elves of the temple of erathis in town :blush:

but at least he has a halfing and an elf friend.

Gryphon04

First Post
Drow Paladin

Hey All,
Im not sure how old this post is but wanted to put my 2 cents in. I have a gnoll paladin and he wields a fullblade into battle. His ability bonuses are geared more for rangers but he worked just fine as a paladin. He is lacking a bit in the wis department so his divine mettle and lay on hands are limited a bit but he kicks but on a regular basis with both sword and radient powers!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads