To give it all up

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
No, this thread isnt about giving up Pen and paper RPGS. It is about having to give up a current campaign that is going great. Right now all the PC are level 14, my Paladin is the leader of an elite unit of warriors and an entire army as well. The Mage has his own mage school. The Dwarven Cleric is a High Priest, and the Tiefling Fighter/Rogue is the head of a Thieves guild. But we may have to give up the current campaign because, with th4e exception of me, they all want this new guy to join, which means we would have to start over ay our DM would not want him to start at level 14. it sucks because I am the only one who doesnt like the idea. :(

Crothian

First Post
Why doesn't the DM want him to start at level 14?

For a challenge, have him start at level one and have your paladin get a personal message from his god to protect the new guy. :D

der_kluge

Adventurer
Not starting the new guy at the same level as the rest of the party is the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard. I really have nothing more to say on the subject. :)

Particle_Man

Explorer
Galeros said:
we would have to start over ay our DM would not want him to start at level 14. it sucks because I am the only one who doesnt like the idea. :(

Depends why your DM doesn't want the guy to start so high level. If it is something like "he has to earn his power" you are sol. But if it is like "he doesn't get a good background story unless he lives through his levels" then ECL is your friend. Suggest to your DM that the guy start as some 1st level character of a race (probably monster race) with a HD+Level Adjustment = +13. Then you get to keep your character, the new guy is balanced with respect to the party, and the character is still a "Starting" character in terms of his memories, stuff he knows about "you mean trolls are vulnerable to fire? Wow!" etc.

Good luck.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
While I have no problem (as a DM or Player) with starting a PC at the same level as the rest of the party, I have played in games where new PCs started at 1st level...though not with as big a disparity as 13 levels.

However, think of the new guy like a hireling. He tags along, soaks up knowledge from these legendary heroes (XP), and eventually begins to pull his own weight. The group XP from 1 adventure with high-level PCs should pump him up several levels, and surviving a couple more adventures will really equalize his abilities.

After all, D'artagnian was a n00b when he started hanging out with the Athos, Porthos and Aramis...

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Dannyalcatraz said:
After all, D'artagnian was a n00b when he started hanging out with the Athos, Porthos and Aramis...
Oh, pfft. He could've held his own in a duel with any one of them. Now, three in the same day... ;)

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
Well, I will try and picth the ECL idea to my DM. I think the main thing is he just does not like to have people new to the game start off at high levels. Sure, if a PC dies they can make a new character at the same level at the rest of the party. Not too mention he will throw off the "chi" of the room. When I had to switch spots with someone else I felt off-balance for the next couple of sessions. A new person would be reallyt weird.

I fear I may be fighting a losing battle, I told the DM that I would be okay with it, but I would prefer to keep playing the current game.

jokamachi

Explorer
Galeros said:
No, this thread isnt about giving up Pen and paper RPGS. It is about having to give up a current campaign that is going great. Right now all the PC are level 14, my Paladin is the leader of an elite unit of warriors and an entire army as well. The Mage has his own mage school. The Dwarven Cleric is a High Priest, and the Tiefling Fighter/Rogue is the head of a Thieves guild. But we may have to give up the current campaign because, with th4e exception of me, they all want this new guy to join, which means we would have to start over ay our DM would not want him to start at level 14. it sucks because I am the only one who doesnt like the idea. :(

Sounds like the DM (and the othjer players) are using the guy as an excuse to reset the campaign; otherwise, yes, it's a pretty lame move.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
The DM doesn't want to start him at 14th level? Maybe start him at 13th or even 12th, then.

Felnar

First Post
the new guy is new to D&D?
if the DM just wants to ease him into D&D, suggest shelving the current campaign, then run low level campaign until he gets the hang of the game. Then you can bring out your old characters again.

Remove ads