• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

To the Noble Born. (finished)

Zaset

First Post
Evilhalfling said:
Anyone else have suggestions?

Group them together however it makes sense to you, and then give us whichever ability mod makes the most sense in context.

For Sense Motive, I guess, I think there's a few different ways to catch people in lies and such. You can see their immediate reaction, if it's not what they make it out to be, if they're not practiced liars. Intelligence can help you figure out subtle untruths you wouldn't have otherwise noticed. Wisdom could help you note any subtle modulations of voice that indicate lies or truth, especially from people who aren't practiced liars. And Charisma could help you to get a person to hint at the truth to you, because they may believe you have the same goals they do.

I'm just saying: especially for the mental skills like this, the case could be made for any of the mental ability modifiers. The physical ones and the physical ability modifiers make some sense as well; I can see a skill needing strength in one circumstance but dexterity in another.

Just my two cents. Since you asked.

Dekana

Explorer
EvilHalfling said:
Anyone else have suggestions?
Honestly? :D
I would compress the skills together, but leave out the trained/untrained system from 4E. It seems like it's more of a hassle than anything, mainly because we don't know the entire rule system yet; whereas with 3.5, we know what task would be DC15, which would be DC20, and whatnot.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
wysiwyg

couple of things about your in character post. Your country has not been officially at war with Krov for 33 years. The premise was that you were trained but inexperienced, however your families version of training might have been going on raids. So that could be okay.
You may also want to think about [sblock] why you are neutral good. I see your father leaning into more chaos, and/or evil. [/sblock]
Also could you pick a speech color other than slate gray? Rayburn is already using it, and it helps distinguish between players speaking.

I also considered the following In-character response. But I wasn't sure if you had missed the official peace or were elaborating on the fact your family was ignoring it. If the later I will post a version of this to the game thread.
[sblock]
"Jason my boy, you have been listening to my old war stories too long, you have only been into Krov Chasing Robbers we have been at peace with them for many years. Certainly nothing that requires those reparations they have been demanding." Viscount Aurelius says, with a sidelong glance at the paladin.[/sblock]

Zaset

First Post
Evilhalfling said:
Also could you pick a speech color other than slate gray? Rayburn is already using it, and it helps distinguish between players speaking.

If he has his heart set on it I can change mine. No big deal. I was just looking for a neutral color and thought, hey, gray.

EDIT: CHanged mine to Silver. Hope that's legible on everyone's browser, I know the site can display in something like 4 formats or more.

Last edited:

wysiwyg

First Post
Jason Aurelius

Evilhalfling said:
wysiwyg - I guess it was 3.0 that restricted rangers from taking their own species. Your father probably has it, but he has spent a lot of time fighting wars and has a very bloody outlook.
Favourite enemy doesn't necessarily mean those one hates the most. It is those that one knows their habits & weaknesses best. The term 'enemy' is misleading.

Evilhalfling said:
The tower shield gives you a -2 to attack when using it. (please add a line under combat to reflect this.)
I didn't know about the penalty (learn new things every day). I've changed to a regular steel shield instead.

Evilhalfling said:
The help is not supposed to be accompanying you, aside from the cleric. It was a fair journey to the count's fortress, and your men could have accompanied you this far.
If you are planning on arguing, changing or avoiding this, the dinner is a good time to bring it up.
I wasn't aware that anyone objected to my personal staff. "As royalty, it is unfitting to do one's own dirty laundry. We should always keep ourselves elite in the eyes of the serfs. What would it look like if a nobleman busied himself with polishing shoes, or gutting a fish! Do you not agree father? "

Evilhalfling said:
couple of things about your in character post. Your country has not been officially at war with Krov for 33 years. The premise was that you were trained but inexperienced, however your families version of training might have been going on raids. So that could be okay.
What about in the north fighting the gnolls? Could Jason of been in any military campaign over there instead? I need to know these facts before I make up his background.

Evilhalfling said:
You may also want to think about...
Changed that as well.

Zaset said:
If he has his heart set on it I can change mine. No big deal. I was just looking for a neutral color and thought, hey, gray.

EDIT: CHanged mine to Silver. Hope that's legible on everyone's browser, I know the site
can display in something like 4 formats or more.
Thanks. I wasn't even aware that we were using the same color.

BTW: I use quotes "" do denote speech. Thoughts are without qoutes. Jason's first post had no spoken speech to it, only personal thoughts.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
Doh - your right I am more used to the convention that colored text is speech, and missed the lack of quotes. Well no response from the Viscount at the table. In regards to an earlier conversation:

"Self-reliance is the key, son. Depend on yourself and your companions, it will build character. Besides not everyone will be able afford loyal servants, and disloyal ones could do a lot of harm with so few eyes to watch them."

There have not been any offical wars for a while (see timeline), its one of the pressures that creates so many restless younger sons with no offical duties. In previous generations extra sons died off in war.
There could have been an actual bandit lord that had to be taken out in the valley of Lasia, and thus provide justification for your father's raids, your military experiance and even a Krovian response. The problem being that there is little chance of further military action. It would have been a small scale, one time event.

Another alternative would be a small goblin (1 tribe) incursion/immigration. Gnolls don't work as well because your viscounty shares a border with the Grand Duchy of Krov (south of Denumbria), and thus far from the North Eastern lands of the gnolls. Although if your Duke was attacked, you might have been sent as part of the fuedal obligations to send military aid to you liege.

"Species enemy is those that one knows their habits & weaknesses best." - Right, especially in regards to hunting them like prey and killing them. How bout if yout throw in some justification about tracking criminals or fighting the above bandit lord, and I'll accept it.

Zaset (only) [sblock] Do you have an idea who Agatha is? or are you just setting up hooks? [/sblock]

Last edited:

Dekana

Explorer
Evilhalfling said:
Doh - your right I am more used to the convention that colored text is speech, and missed the lack of quotes.
I usually use italics to designate thoughts. But if you prefer some other format, I'd be happy to switch over.

wysiwyg

First Post
Evilhalfling said:
"Self-reliance is the key, son. Depend on yourself and your companions, it will build character. Besides not everyone will be able afford loyal servants, and disloyal ones could do a lot of harm with so few eyes to watch them."
"It is not as issue of being independent father. Heavens know I can take care of myself in the wilds, probably even better than with inept company to look after. But the image of nobility cannot be ignored. How many rebellions had to be put down because peasants saw us as equals instead of their peers? I also represent the Viscounty of Aurelius, as well as the Aurelian family crest and name; how would it fare that a prince of Aurelius busies himself with cores of peasants?"

Evilhalfling said:
There could have been an actual bandit lord that had to be taken out in the valley of Lasia, and thus provide justification for your father's raids, your military experiance and even a Krovian response. The problem being that there is little chance of further military action. It would have been a small scale, one time event...How bout if yout throw in some justification about tracking criminals or fighting the above bandit lord, and I'll accept it.
I have an idea that might have a future in your campaign. Instead of a bandit lord, how about if say four barons from my father's viscounty were bribed to start a rebellion by the Krovians who preferred to keep their hands clean and sweep the rewards after both factions have been considerably weakened. Unfortunately the rebellion was crushed after only five seasons - not enough time to cause serious damage to the realm. And thus the Krovian plot was thwarted (for now).

Speech: Bold & quotes
Thoughts: Italics & no quotes

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
wysiwyg said:
"It is not as issue of being independent father. Heavens know I can take care of myself in the wilds, probably even better than with inept company to look after. But the image of nobility cannot be ignored. How many rebellions had to be put down because peasants saw us as equals instead of their peers? I also represent the Viscounty of Aurelius, as well as the Aurelian family crest and name; how would it fare that a prince of Aurelius busies himself with cores of peasants?"

My peasants know better than that, who would protect them from things in the night without us? What if we then become the things in the night like that vampire lord in the old country? You worry too much on appearances, it is the mailed fist that keeps them in line. Its not like you will be going a'courting on this quest. Now if we had any hardy noble ladies to accompany you ... [sblock] anyway about the other lads, you do your best but don't show them up, I have any empty barony back here, and we need the allies more than any particular rewards. You do well and the job may fall to you.[/sblock]

wysiwyg said:
I have an idea that might have a future in your campaign. Instead of a bandit lord, how about if say four barons from my father's viscounty were bribed to start a rebellion by the Krovians who preferred to keep their hands clean and sweep the rewards after both factions have been considerably weakened. Unfortunately the rebellion was crushed after only five seasons - not enough time to cause serious damage to the realm. And thus the Krovian plot was thwarted (for now).

I'll go 2 rebellious barons over 5 seasons, small and localized is the key here. the King Funistan the Fox has been successful in stopping more widespread problems.

Remove ads