• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

To the Noble Born. (finished)

wysiwyg

First Post
You're right. I'm playing in another group and I forgot where the item comes from.
BTW instead of the second wind rule have you considered Reserve Points from UA? (the advantage of this method is not to change our HP in combat, but allow us to heal afterwards faster).

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
the trained/untrained skill system and second wind are coming out of the teasers for 4ed (ie SWSE) this game is a playtest of the new rules, as well as its own adventure.

wysiwyg

First Post
Skill System

I had an idea to use instead of skills use the alternate system. Tell me what you think.

Skills are now consolidated into groups. Groups include several skills, and are developed using the skill point method, but for the group as a whole instead of for individual skills in the group. The groups are:
Academic (Int/Wis) Knowledge – History, Knowledge – Nobility and royalty, Knowledge – Planes, Knowledge – Religion
Artistic (Cha/Dex) Choose any three from: Perform – Act, Perform – Dancing, Perform – Oratory, Perform – Painting, Perform – Play Instrument, Perform – Singing
Athletic (Dex/Str) Balance, Escape Artist, Tumble
General (Int/Int) Knowledge – Geography, Knowledge – Local, Speak Language (new language acquired every 3 ranks)
Horsemanship (Wis/Dex) Handle Animal, Ride
Influence (Cha/Int) Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, Public Speaking
Insight (Wis/Cha) Gather Information, Sense Motive
Mystical Arts (Int/Con) Concentration, Knowledge – Arcana, Spellcraft, Use Magic Device
Outdoor (Wis/Int) Knowledge – Dungeoneering, Knowledge – Nature, Survival, Use Rope
Perception (Wis/Int) Listen, Search, Spot
Physical (Str/Dex) Climb, Jump, Swim
Stealth (Dex/Wis) Hide, Move Silently, Sleight of Hand
Subterfuge (Dex/Wis) Decipher Script, Disguise , Forgery, Disable Device, Open Lock
Vocational (Wis/Int) Choose any two from: Appraisal, Craft (one), Heal, Profession (one)

Character starts off knowing certain groups depending on the starting class (see below), plus a number of groups of choice equal to his intelligence modifier. The classes start off knowing the following groups (all know General):
Barbarian (Horsemanship, Outdoor, Physical)
Bard (Artistic, Athletic, Influence, Physical, Stealth)
Cleric (Academic)
Druid (Horsemanship, Outdoor, Perception, Vocational)
Fighter (Horsemanship, Physical)
Monk (Athletic, Insight, Perception, Physical, Stealth)
Paladin (Academic, Horsemanship, Influence)
Ranger (Horsemanship, Outdoor, Perception, Physical, Stealth, Vocational)
Rogue (Athletic, Influence, Insight, Perceptions, Physical, Stealth, Subterfuge, Vocational)
Sorcerer (Mystical Arts, Vocational)
Wizard (Academic, Mystical Arts)

The starting group skill is equal to 3 plus both stat modifiers associated with that group.
Every time the character makes a level, choose a number of groups to improve by 1 point equal to the number of skill points acquired by the new class level. A different class does not confer new skill groups, only a certain number of skill points to allocate.
[SBlock=Example]Take Xaros Anuvien, a human bard with the following stats:
STR: 12 (+1); DEX: 14 (+2); CON: 10 (+0); INT: 14 (+2); WIS: 8 (-1); CHA: 16 (+3)

At first level he has:
Artistic (Cha/Dex): 8 = 3(starting) +3(cha) + 2(dex)
Athletic (Dex/Str): 6 = 3(starting) + 2(dex) +1(str)
Influence (Cha/Int): 8 = 3(starting) + 3(cha) +2(int)
Physical (Str/Dex): 6 = 3(starting) + 2(dex) +1(str)
Stealth (Dex/Wis): 4 = 3(starting) + 2(dex) -1(wis)
plus any other group of his choice
[/SBlock]

A group may be learned by expanding a number of skill points equal to the total number of skills in the group. For example, if one wanted to learn the Subterfuge group, one would need to use up 5 points to learn it.

Racial Group Bonuses:
Human: Any one of player’s choice .
Dwarves: Vocational or Physical
Elves: Outdoors or Artistic
Gnomes: Vocational or Mystical Arts
Half Elves: Influence or Perceptions
Halflings: Vocational or Stealth

Last edited:

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
interseting skill system, but I would think that disguise and forgery are a different skill set than opening locks and disabling devices, and that most crafters don't have heal, but it is an intresing take.

I will stick with my system though. Its closer to the glipses of 4e.
I am going to remove intimidate as a skill, attempts to intimidate can be based on bluff or persuasion if anyone wants to try it.
Sense Motive will be rolled into Persuasion, allowing to be used for opposed rolls against itself. The modifer will stay CHR based.

Evilhalfling

Adventurer
BTW - who is going to be around between now and New Years?
I am visiting my in-laws starting tomorrow, but they are dreadfully dull and have a good internet connection. So I will probably be on a lot.
My vacation ends on the 26th - and its back to work.

wysiwyg

First Post
Just one thought on the skill system that we're using.
The progression for trained skills, i.e. those that we're good in, is 5 + half level.

The 'half level' bit could be a problem since a few skills are vital to each class, e.g. hide for a rogue, concentration for spellcasters, etc.

According to this progression, it's good for starting character levels, but see what happens when classes advance, and the optimised skills fall quite short of desired game levels.

See chart comparing optimised skills in 3.75 vs 3.5

Ranks 3.75 / 3.5
Level 1: 5 / 4
Level 2: 5 / 5
Level 3: 6 / 6
Level 4: 6 / 7
Level 5: 7 / 8
Level 6: 7 / 9

The gap grows and grows. This means that vital skills will not be as good, starting from 4th level.

Zaset

First Post
Evilhalfling said:
Zaset (only)

Answer: (EvilHalfling only)

[sblock]I named my familiar. Pretty sure I listed it on my character sheet and her stat sheet. As I've read the rules, the familiar and I can talk and share empathy but not telepathy, so Rayburn knows what she feels and generally where she is but not necessarily what she's doing. basically, if she's not on Rayburn's person or in his square, it's up to you to roleplay her. Though I dearly love the idea of an intelligent snake familiar my thinking was that it was unseemly to have such at a dinner of state, and that either Rayburn's father would have forbidden her attendance (and possibly dislike her as well) or Rayburn himself would have decided to keep her away from the dinner. That's why I've been roleplaying as being so distracted. I figured it all fit together. If it doesn't, or if I should stop, let me know.

Also, I wouldn't set up a hook without your explicit permission. I'm not the DM.[/sblock]

And for everyone else: I love snow, but I hate travelling in it. Over the course of two days I spent 9 total hours on various buses and another two hours on 7 subways besides.

Sorry I haven't posted in a bit. Back now though.

Remove ads