D&D 5E To The Strongest: A 5E War Campaign [CLOSED; OOC]

River Song

Explorer
Happy with that idea Thanatos, so we campaigned before and decided to pool our forces together.
[MENTION=6855130]Jago[/MENTION], I have taken the inspiring leader feat, I assume that will add the temp hitpoints to my stand total, not to individual members.

i.e. the stand gets 7 temp HP, not 70 (7 x 10 members)

Jago

Explorer
So from my understanding the turns happen all at once, so when I send the strand and I to 'hit and run' on an enemy the enemy get's to attack us as well correct? Assuming they're still alive that is.

Well they still get a shot even if you wipe them out: dropping them to 0 HP does not remove them from the field until after the round is over. And remember, you cannot hit and run very easily: Once you became adjacent to an Enemy Stand, you cannot move unless you take the Retreat Action, which means not attacking.

So, you can smash into an enemy, attack, take the attack in turn, take the Retreat action next turn and run away, then attack the following turn, if you wish. Or, you can just stay in Melee and grind down the enemy until you can eliminate the Stand and move again (although Units get to fill the gaps left by dead Stands if they have extra nearby).

This is why the Hetairoi are such a massive boost to Heavy Cavalry, because the ability to Paralyze the enemy basically means you can crash into them once and wipe the enemy stand from the field in basically 1 fell swoop, and the enemy cannot attack back.

I tried to build as many of the "Elite Units" with abilities to manipulate these rules, like Mangudai basically always being able to stay out of range of most units, never get tied down unless surrounded, and yet still getting their attack, or Hoplites and Vexillari in the same Unit basically forming a super Infantry Block that's going to take a lot of punishment and keep coming back unless it's picked apart by Missile Troops, and even then that will take awhile.

Jago

Explorer
Happy with that idea Thanatos, so we campaigned before and decided to pool our forces together.
@Jago, I have taken the inspiring leader feat, I assume that will add the temp hitpoints to my stand total, not to individual members.

i.e. the stand gets 7 temp HP, not 70 (7 x 10 members)

Yes, that's a perfectly acceptable use: boosting the 1 Stand is within the realms of the Feat (just like a Spell, it's going to affect at least half the stand and therefore it is A-O-Good), and it makes your Heavy Infantry even tougher to drive from the field (yay Phalanx!)

Thateous

Explorer

[MENTION=6855130]Jago[/MENTION] This is where I got hit and run from
Skirmishers.

Skirmisher units are loosely organized. They excel at moving quickly, making hit-and-run attacks, and scouting ahead of the main army.

A skirmisher stand can use part of its move, take an action, and then complete its move.

Does that work for charge and ride away, rinse and repeat?

Jago

Explorer

@Jago This is where I got hit and run from
Skirmishers.

Skirmisher units are loosely organized. They excel at moving quickly, making hit-and-run attacks, and scouting ahead of the main army.

A skirmisher stand can use part of its move, take an action, and then complete its move.

Does that work for charge and ride away, rinse and repeat?

It does not because, on Page 4:

Adjacent to Other Stands.
[FONT=Cambria,Cambria][FONT=Cambria,Cambria]There are no opportunity attacks in these rules. Instead, a stand cannot move once it becomes adjacent to an enemy stand, unless its unit takes the Retreat action. This restriction does not prevent other stands in the unit from moving normally—only those stands that are adjacent to enemy stands.

For Skirmisher Units, that's more "Archers move here, Fire off a hail of arrows, then run away into the trees to gain cover from the return volley," or "Healers move adjacent to allied melee troops, cast Cure Wounds, then step back again so they don't get caught in the fight."

Essentially, once Melee troops engage with each other, that's it: they're going to grind it out until one of them breaks. It's why it would be horribly bad for lighter archers like the Scouts to come into melee with Veterans, because they won't be able to get away unless they just keep using the Retreat Action.
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[FONT=Cambria,Cambria][FONT=Cambria,Cambria][/FONT][/FONT]

Trogdor1992

First Post
[MENTION=6814006]Thateous[/MENTION] perhaps I fought beside you in that battle? I am supposed to be pretty well-known for my savagery on the field of battle, and my willingness to fight to the bitter end, so perhaps the army terminated my contact because of my apparent excessive thirst for blood?

Sent from my HUAWEI Y536A1 using Tapatalk

Jago

Explorer
Just a heads-up that Copats has informed me that he will not be participating, so we have a team of 6. Once everyone gets their full character sheets into the RG and finishes up the connections, we will begin.

Thateous

Explorer
Works for me [MENTION=6801450]Trogdor1992[/MENTION] . So we were all former members of the elven army and our paths crossed after we each, for our own reasons, left.

Thanks for answering all the questions [MENTION=6855130]Jago[/MENTION]

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Shayuri

First Post
Hmm. Okay, so Aridha was operating fairly independently for a while there, acting as a bounty hunter while also hunting down someone she had a personal vendetta against. Perhaps one or more PCs helped her in this task, earning her friendship and loyalty and thus leading her to throw in her lot with them after her revenge was taken?

Trogdor1992

First Post
Sounds good to me. I am working on my background now. My character was an orphan raised by monks. If you guys are from the elven nations I could be as well. Only thing is if monks are common in that area. If not then he was banished from his monastery after studying forbibben texts. He wandered for awhile before finding his patron and making his deal.
Who is your pact with? And how do you feel about having previously fought in the war?

Sent from my HUAWEI Y536A1 using Tapatalk

Remove ads