• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

To WotC: How to Pick Up Girls

Crazy Jerome

First Post
Of the five "girls" in our group (we are mostly ages 30s and 40s), they break down like this:

1. My wife - Wants easier characters, absolutely loves Star Wars Saga, compared to previous editions.

2. The one currenlty playing a giant warmain, and likes to bash things--when she isn't playing a roguish type, and sneaking up on things.

3. Moved 5 hours away, and has to really scrape to make a Saturday session occasionally. Did someone mention virtual table top?

4. Lawyer, hardly gets to play anymore, has trouble keeping up with mechanics and character sheets. Did someone mention online tools?

5. Moved 11 hours away, can't play anymore, thinking about changing jobs to get back in the area. Did someone mention virtual table top?

Note that all of them like to get into a role. If the mechanics are simplified and the technology helps, then they'll be able to get into a role more often. OTOH, they might be atypical, since all of them had Fantasy Hero as their first RPG. :)

getgoldcardsoul

First Post
Gothic_Demon said:
I have three girls in my six person gaming group, and their first comments on the videos were:

"Character generator I can see my character in! Yeah!"
"A board without having to carry my carefully painted figures! Yeah!"
"What do you mean no Eberron upgrade? What's gonna happen to my warforged!"

So, two out of three techy answers for me. Not a bad result. Maybe it's just your girls in particular?
Yes, if the OP meant the post to be taken as a hardcore take-no-prisoners commentary, it would have been a hasty generalization to assume from his five D&D playin' girls that all or even most D&D playin' girls won't like 4E.

But since it was just a funny rant, we can let it slide. :p ;)

As for my opinion on this... well... in total, 4E just confuses me. Or scares me. Whichever one makes sense in which the psychological response is hiding behind a tree stump and poking at 4E with a stick.

As for the only girl in my group (my girlfriend, actually... almost 3 years!), she doesn't care. My group plays 3.5. If that changes, I don't think she'll complain. So long as she gets to be the Barbarian and kill stuff and talk like Kratos/Leonidas. :D

jester47

First Post
I think it was stated at PAX in a panel that women like to play games but are not generally as a gender into fandom. Most women want to game. If the dudes are playing 4e then most of the gals will play 4e.

hexgrid

Explorer
If girls don't care about 4e, it's because they don't, in general, care much about the gritty specifics of rules systems at all (there are exceptions, of course.) I bet you'll find just as few female 3e diehards as you will female 4e enthusiasts.

Is even there such thing as a female grognard?

Ozmar

First Post
"Girls"? What's that? Is that some kind of new 4e race or class or something? I looked in my Monster Manual V, and I didn't see a reference...

Ozmar the True Gamer

Remove ads