ToC CR 7 Finals - CN vs. CE: Juvenile Fang Dragon vs. Dust Wight

ugulu

First Post
15 holy? Mama.

Goth will try Dispel (first) + Paralysis, rotate, Sleep + Scorching Ray, rotate, Inflict M. Wounds + Exhaustion. Ends up with his central eye towards Whisper, right-side facing downwards...like his entrails.

Last edited:

Gansk

Explorer
The first ray takes out an image. Three images left.

The second ray hits the real Whisper, who barely resists its effects (15 Fort save).

The third ray takes out an image. Two images left.

The fourth ray misses (natural 1).

The fifth ray misses (rolled 13 touch).

The sixth ray misses Whisper's blurry image.

Round 2!

Gansk

Explorer
I don't see how. The ray has to hit something, and it hit an image instead of the real Whisper. The ray acts as a targeted dispel, so it would only cancel the entire spell if it hit the target of the spell, and it did not.

ugulu

First Post
Goth is only alive until EH returns...but for my own knowledge:

Given the wording of a targeted dispel, if I had said "he targets mirror image" (which means he's targeting the spell, not a creature or object) would that have dispeled it?

Gansk

Explorer
If he was a normal spellcaster, yes (note that I have some house rules that require a spellcraft check to identify the spell). But spellcasters don't shoot rays, so the only application of targeted dispel that I can see that would result from a ray is the one where you target a creature or object, not a spell.

ugulu

First Post
What about an ongoing effect like a Wall of Fire? I'd think that would be an auto-hit, just requiring a Dispel check?

Remove ads