• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Todd's FR adventure: On the Merchant Road. Part I

ToddSchumacher

I like to draw!
Ok boys and girls, you know the rules. No posting unless your playing. The characters and ooc comments are over here.

Here we go.

The sun is setting as you travel south along Evermoor Way, the most direct route from Everlund to the great city of Waterdeep. As the main route of travel for caravans and their goods, it also offers plenty of opportunities for Adventurers seeking gold to rid the route of dangers.

Not 24 hours ago your party gathered at the home of Aaron Marlstead, a weathy merchant with holdings in Waterdeep, Everlund, and Silverymoon. Seems his partner and brother, Edmund, aquired a very old heirloom for an important client. Being as Edmund was in Waterdeep and the important client was in Silverymoon they put it on one of their caravans headed for Everlund. Alas, the caravan with said heirloom is days late and the 'very important client' grows concerned. Aaron offered 1500gp to the party if they find the caravan, or more importantly, the heirloom and return it safely. If they return with it within 5 days the bounty doubles.

So you find yourself, after a day travel, on the road to meet a caravan from the Marlstead Merchant house. On this stretch of the road the High Forest lies mere feet (15 to be exact) on the east side of the road. The other is grassy rolling hills. As you round a bend in the road you see a plume of smoke in the distance, a feint red-orange glow is seen on the smoke as the sun slips below the horizon.

Krug

Newshound
Krug muttered under his breath while trying to draw a nasty thingie that accumulated in his left nostril out. "Pah... how could a caravan get lost? That never happened to the mountain dwarves!" The dwarf had spent his time fixing and 'unfixing' locks to stay in practise, as well as devising elaborate traps on scraps of paper he tucked into his messy pouch. He liked his companions, especially Killian, but found the elf too... serious. But they were always a dour race. He always thought that the elves had a branch of some sort stuck up their arse when they were born, but of course he never asked the Paladin about it...

He liked Kreeg, of course, but felt that the priest seemed to be hiding something. Few were those who opened up to Krug, and those who did, generally had pinchers on their noses so it didn't bother him that much. The shield dwarves lived too close to humanity and became too involved in their affairs, he thought.

And the bald dwarf. By the forges that sing under the mountains! He shaved off his... beard! It made Krug itchy to think about it. Krug didn't like the wolf that accompanied the Clanless one, and a master of nature as well. Oh the ways of dwarves.... what would his clan make of all this?

Last edited:

JohnClark

First Post
Derek slowed his horse on seeing the smoke ahead on the road. "I hate fire", he muttered. To this point the trip had been uneventful, which was fine for part of Derek, but the other half of him yearned for action, a chance to really prove himself in battle, particularly against the demons who had robbed him of everything he loved.

He found his companions to be...interesting. Hailing from the hordlands his experience with other races was farily limited, and he found the elven paladin to be fairly stodgy, and the dwarven trap maker had the manner of a wild boar (or so he thought :D). The others were fine adventurers, but Derek was a man of few words and he didn't truly know any of his companions very well.

Old Fezziwig

a man builds a city with banks and cathedrals
Aravalir Celincoer (Move 1)

Thoughts of exactly what type of heirloom — tapestry? a painting? a finely crafted sword or amulet? — raced through Aravalir's head. They wanted it back and the caravan found? Fine, he'd be happy to do so. He would've gladly done so for free, but he was hardly anxious to do so for fear that his companions would mutiny. Not that he was in charge, but they seemed to like him poorly enough as it was without him exacerbating matters.

The dwarf seemed capable, if not messy. Panache was most definitely not the word that came to mind when describing Krug, that was for sure. Aravalir only hoped that the dwarf would make up for what he lacked in style with substance. Killian, on the otherhand, was full of style — anyone that talented with a spiked chain had to be. Of course, anyone that talented with a spiked chain was also liable to be dangerous. Most likely both. Finally, Derek hadn't said much of anything, and it seemed wise at the current moment not to push things.

Ahead of him — smoke. His stomach turned at the thought of another caravan burning. Although he desperately wanted to charge in there and see what was the matter, getting himself killed was going to do nothing for anyone. Gritting his teeth, he turned to the group — "This could be our caravan. It could also be an ambush...or it might be both. I'm willing to scout ahead, but I might not be the best choice for that? Any suggestions?"

Last edited:

Kreeg Stonesplitter

"Scout ahead? Bah!! If there is smoke the trouble has either already begun or finished, either way now is not the time to hesitate." Kreeg pulls out his sling and a bullet and presses on down the road.

Last edited:

Krug

Newshound
"Smoke? Oh.. yes. Well we should all just head out there together," Krug says. He arms his crossbow bolt and puts away his playthings.

He talks to his crossbow. "Been a while ain't it boy? You're waiting to stick a bolt up some orcish arse aren't ya now? Yes, yes. It'll be soon! Trust me! Nice orcish arse.. "

JohnClark

First Post
Re: Kreeg Stonesplitter

Sir Osis of Liver said:
"Scout ahead? Bah!! If there is smoke the trouble has either already begun or finished, either way now is not the time to hesitate." Kreeg pulls out his sling and a bullet and presses on down the road.

Derek rolls his eyes slightly. 'Ceraintly a prudent course of action', he thinks to himself as he loads his crossbow and kicks his horse into action.

Torillan

First Post
Torillan quickly nocks and arrow in his longbow. Then he starts to mutter under his breath. Anyone looking closely would notice a glimmer in his eyes, and a slight smile.

reapersaurus

Explorer
OOC: I assume we were provided horses, then? Cause they're way more expensive than all of us together could afford, right? ;)

Killian Maxwell sees the fire, surmises as the others do that it may be the caravan they're looking for, and dreads.

"Ach - I be hoping the smoke dinna' portend a nasty fire.
I've spent many a month travelin' with caravans, and I hope this 'un dinna end up with a grisly fate."

Killian immediately spurs his horse on along with Kreeg - men of action seldom wait while time marches on.
"Krug me lad - I be wonderin' meself how a caravan be gettin' lost.
That's not tha way thay're sup'osed ta work."
;)

Last edited:

ToddSchumacher

I like to draw!
reapersaurus said:
OOC: I assume we were provided horses, then? Cause they're way more expensive than all of us together could afford, right? ;)

Indeed, you are borrowed horses to-which...

As per your contract with the Marlstead Merchant house:
when you return with said heirloom are to either 1) return the horse, or 2) the cost of the horse to be deducted from your bounty. If you fail to return with the item you are to either 1) return the horse, or 2) pay the full worth of the horse out of your own pocket. Barter (with items other than hard coin) is agreeable providing the value of bartered items (to be determined by a merchant house accountant) equal the value of the horses { [3 ponies (for the dwarves) x 30gp ea]+[4 light horses x75gp ea]=390gp}.

Needless to say, a breach of contract (taking the horses and Not returning at all) will cause all sorts of headaches, least of which may very well involve bounty hunters.

OOC -I wait one more day for the others to post, then I'll continue, assuming the others will assume similar stances - weapons drawn , riding to the fire, ect.

Last edited:

Remove ads