• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tom Moldvay passes away (see post #52)

RFisher

Explorer
I only hope the attempts to contact him made by some of the DF folks possibly let him know how much we still appreciate the work he did.

(u_u) Good-bye, Tom. You were missed, & you still will be.

howandwhy99

Adventurer
My heart goes out to his family. He brought a lot of joy to the gaming world.

Gonna have to play one of his awesome adventures again and soon.

(from Pen & Paper):

Code:
Roleplaying Game Credits:

Book	 	Publisher	 	Credit
Mark of Amber (Mystara) (1995)	 	TSR, Inc.	 	Original Design
Twilight Calling (Dungeons & Dragons (classic)) (1986)	 	TSR, Inc.	 	Design
Lords of Creation (1983)	 	Avalon Hill	 	Design and Development
Fiend Folio (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons) (1981)	 	TSR, Inc.	 	Design Contribution
Isle of Dread, The (Dungeons & Dragons (classic)) (1981)	 	TSR, Inc.	 	Author
Keep on the Borderlands, The (Dungeons & Dragons (classic)) (1981)	 	TSR, Inc.	 	Editing
Secret of the Slavers Stockade (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons) (1981)	 	TSR, Inc.	 	Developer
Secret of the Slavers Stockade (Advanced Dungeons & Dragons) (1981)	 	TSR, Inc.	 	Additional Design

Magazine Article Credits:

Article	 	Credit
"Demons, Devils and Spirits" in Dragon #42 (Oct 1980)	 	Author
"Dragon's Bestiary" in Dragon #41 (Sep 1980)	 	Author
"Dragon's Blood: …And Another" in Dragon #41 (Sep 1980)	 	Author
"Giants in the Earth" in Dragon #42 (Oct 1980)	 	Author
"Giants of the Earth" in Dragon #41 (Sep 1980)	 	Author
"Out of the Shadows" in Dragon #162 (Oct 1990)	 	Author
"Taltos, The" in Dragon #247 (May 1998)	 	Author
"Tasariq: The Crystal Planet" in Star Wars Adventure Journal #15 (Nov 1997)	 	Author
"Too Evil to Die" in Dragon #210 (Oct 1994)	 	Author
"Ungrateful Dead, The" in Dragon #138 (Oct 1988)	 	Author

Particle_Man

Explorer
Shouldn't this news be on the news page?

I am going to bring the old red and blue books to gaming tonight, to show the younger folks.

Thanks for the memories, Tom!

T. Foster

First Post
Hmm, that Pen&Paper bibliography is seriously incomplete, obviously-at-a-glance missing at least The Lost City, Castle Amber (Chateau d'Ambreville), and his co-write/re-write on Palace of the Silver Princess, not to mention the 1981 D&D Basic Set itself. Does anyone have a more complete listing?

Akrasia

Procrastinator
I'm grateful for his many contributions to our hobby (the best version of Basic D&D ever published; classic modules like B4, X1, & X2; his work on Star Frontiers and other games).

Sad news indeed. :(

jrients

First Post
T. Foster said:
Hmm, that Pen&Paper bibliography is seriously incomplete, obviously-at-a-glance missing at least The Lost City, Castle Amber (Chateau d'Ambreville), and his co-write/re-write on Palace of the Silver Princess, not to mention the 1981 D&D Basic Set itself. Does anyone have a more complete listing?

Over at Dragonsfoot we're working on a complete bibliography. I don't think we're done yet, but here's the thread.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Next to Gary, Tom may have been one of the most influential people in the early history of D&D; I seem to remember a poll on these forums years back where a HUGE chunk (not majority, but maybe a plurality) of the gamers on ENWorld started with the Moldvay version of the rules. Last week was very event-laden, and this was even more sadness to add to all the other pieces of bad news for me. :( If it weren't for the gameday I attended, I'd have really needed some cheering up! :)

Havlo

First Post
Wow....I don't know what to say. Like many of you, I also learned the game from Tom's rules. I was around 9 or 10 at the time. That was 25 years ago, and I'm still playing today. Ironically, I was thumbing through his books about an hour before I saw this post and was contemplating running a game for friends who have never played that wonderful version. I think my mission is clear now.

As a matter of fact, I propose that March 8th become Tom Moldvay D&D day, and every year we all run a game using his rules to keep his spirit alive and remind everyone how fun this game can really be. What say you all?

Remove ads