Tom Swift on CW

Dire Bare

Legend
On general principle I am obligated to be interested in a show that turns Tom Swift, Jr into a cross between Tony Stark and Little Nas X. But I kinda forgot this was real. I've tuned out of the CW over the past few years. Maybe I'll watch the premiere?

"Magic soap" doesn't sound like it's really taking advantage of the premise, or approaching it with the required panache (Eau de Panache??). Dude needs inventions like an 'ultra-fabulous cycloplane'.

Full disclose: I've read at least a dozen Tom Swift, Jr. books as a kid.
To be fair . . . Tom wants to focus on figuring out why the spacecraft he invented, and his dad was piloting to Saturn, exploded. His friend and business partner was trying to get him to invent "magic soap" for a client to keep his business afloat and his employees employed. Tom at first brushed it off, then put in a long night and magically figured out the spacecraft problem and invented magic soap, making everybody happy for a while.

Still . . . .

Mallus

Legend
To be fair . . . Tom wants to focus on figuring out why the spacecraft he invented, and his dad was piloting to Saturn, exploded. His friend and business partner was trying to get him to invent "magic soap" for a client to keep his business afloat and his employees employed. Tom at first brushed it off, then put in a long night and magically figured out the spacecraft problem and invented magic soap, making everybody happy for a while.

Still . . . .
Ok that sounds better.

Thomas Shey

Legend
The show is stuffed full of supertech. Its just that its either a side gig to keep the company happy, or in the service of the "treasure hunt" to try and figure out how to save his father.

GreyLord

Legend
Hmm, series books when I was younger were Hardy Boys, Tom Swift, Boxcar Children, Bobsey Twins, and Biff Brewster.

Of Tom Swift though, my FAVORITE iteration is from the 1980s. The book series went Sci Fi into space, with interstellar battles and interstellar war with other species.

It was also continous. What happened in one book affected what happened in the next, and the next. It was a true series that was connected just like trilogies of the day, but longer.

Basically Tom Swift III. Best series of Tom Swift ever written. All others pale in comparison.

My favorite series (when I was a kid, it's very dated now in comparison to modern writing and books) was more about a boy adventurer then a detective. Biff Brewster is a name sadly unknown to those born later.

I also loved Carley Dawson's books which started with Mr. Wickers Window. That series is hard to find these days (Except for the first one which has been reprinted via Amazon). (also probably very dated to the times it was written).

I loved adventure books where they go to mysterious places and untamed wilds even as a child.

Last edited:

Remove ads