Pathfinder 1E Tom Vasel reviews the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game

DonTadow

First Post
At Gen Con I watched my 50-something aunt demo it, looking quite bored, while at the next table over a group of hardcore Pathfinder players were really excited.

Personally, to me it looked like a stealth playtest of an alternative RPG system that isn't D20-reliant. I didn't play enough to get a sense of how well it does that.

Very surprised Tom gave this an 8, considering it's not really a board game as much as it is a condensed card driven rpg game. The idea of writing on something i paid 50 bucks for also is a big turn off. Sure you could buy additinoal material to prevent this, but (like party games) this should be included if this is the intention. Eventually you will wear out most cards. I think Waterdeep was a much better board game.

Wicht

Hero
Very surprised Tom gave this an 8, considering it's not really a board game as much as it is a condensed card driven rpg game. The idea of writing on something i paid 50 bucks for also is a big turn off. Sure you could buy additinoal material to prevent this, but (like party games) this should be included if this is the intention. Eventually you will wear out most cards. I think Waterdeep was a much better board game.

He reviews both board and card games. Card games (Dominion for example) are pretty much accepted as part of the board-game family, though they do, of course, lack an actual board.

I think for the writing part, I would photo-copy the cards in question myself. I dislike writing on my game's "permanent" pieces, but this is not the only game to suggest such a thing.

And Tom gave Lord's of Waterdeep an 8.5 so he subjectively agrees with you based on his rating system (which is somewhat fluid and subject to change).

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)

Have no fear. Sheets with the characters on them are available for free download from Paizo.

Community Use Package: Pathfinder Adventure Card Game Character Sheets

Wicht

Hero
I also wanted to add an addendum to my comment on Mr. Vasel's rating system. Anytime he gives a game a 5 or 6, it means he thinks its a decent game, he'll willingly play it if asked, but its not necessarily anything to get excited about. Games he thinks are definitely worth checking out are a 7 or better, and about the time you get to his "8" he is very likely suggesting the game is excellent and a keeper. Where exactly a game is going to fall in the 8-10 range is going to always be a matter of subjective taste.

Remove ads