• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tomb of the Lizard King - your experiences?

Quasqueton

First Post
Thirty-sixth thread of a series on the old classic Dungeons & Dragons adventure modules. It is interesting to see how everyone's experiences compared and differed.

Tomb of the Lizard King
i2.gif

Did you Play or DM this adventure (or both, as some did)? What were your experiences? Did you complete it? What were the highlights for your group?

Quasqueton

Last edited:

MrFilthyIke

First Post
diaglo said:
7HD plus an undead template...
vampire
Jim "I am the Lizard King" Morrison

Yeeaaahhhh, I got the Morrison referrence, but as the Doors have always annoyed me, I prefer my Simpsons referrence. :cool:

Voadam

Legend
I ran this one multiple times.

I remember the second time I ran this the players scrambling to physically get away from the game table when I started the cleric chanting in the king interview scene.

I remember the PCs being successful, except for one element about disposing of a vampire, I think they forgot to stuff something in the mouth after beheading him.

Kastil

Explorer
That module was my very first D&D experience and I loved it! Perin Lighthand... how I loved you! It was fun and I got the party in lots of trouble with my wandering hands. :p

BlackMoria

First Post
I like this one alot. Played it several times in the old 2E days and once as a converted to 3E adventure.

I like the beginning..... getting near ground zero of a flame strike really sets the mood.

In the 3E run adventure, the party had a rough go with the black dragon (of course, properly run 3E dragons are supposed to give parties a hard time....).

In the Lizard King's lair, the area with all the wights was a hoot. One of the players charged ahead and suddenly realized the lizard men were wights.....just in time to get totally surrounded and drained down to 1st level before we could rescue him.

I always liked the module. Must have played or DMed it about 5 times over the years.

PaulGreystoke

First Post
This is another of those underrated classics that I have used time & again - most recently in 3E. As hong might say "a railroad runs through it", but I found it plays well enough. The first time I ran this (back in 1E) I was worried that it might prove too deadly for the players, as the module punishes parties that get loot-happy - & 1E parties were notoriously loot-hogs. ;) But the players took the in-game warnings seriously & stayed on mission, avoiding most of the nasty tricks & traps.

This was one of the last modules I ran in 2E as a one-shot before 3E came out. I permitted use of most of the 2E expansion materials as a farewell to 2E's rampant munchkinism. But I failed to scale up the module's challenges accordingly & the party had far too easy a run of it. :eek:

In 3E, I used I2 as a follow-up to the N2: Cult of the Reptile God. In that module a fallen cleric of Merikka was able to pray for & cast high level spells while under the influence of a naga. I reasoned that some divine force must be actually granting the spells to this cleric & created the "Dark Serpent" Cult as this divine force's earthly representative. Thus the naga in N2 & the lizardfolk clerics in I2 were parts of this cult's world-spanning conspiracy.

Anyway, I've always liked this module. Lizardfolk are fun, & swamps rock! :p And properly played, Sakatha the vampire Lizard King is a great challenge to a mid-level party.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads