• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tome of Battle Game (probing for interest)

Voidrazor

First Post
My preference would be for the highest level the DM is comfortable with so as to play with as much of the ToB's unique material as possible. As for books, perhaps automatically include SRD and ToB stuff, and leave all sources beyond that as possibilities requiring DM approval. The world should probably capture that anime-infused fantasy feel. Maybe a blend of Oriental Adventures and Eberron? Or, even better, a homebrew that steals shamelessly from Princess Mononoke, Ninja Scrolls, or works of a similar vein.

ByteRynn

First Post
I too would rather this be on the upper end as well.

I like the suggestions of using the mythology of the book and creating a world around it.

gabrion

First Post
Ok, so I'm getting more and more of an urge to actually do this. Assuming the game would start at 6th level and allow pretty much any WotC sources (with DM veto ability of course and the hope that you draw on ToB as much as possible), could ya'll give me concrete ideas about what you would like to play? As for the earlier question about LA races, those would be fine.

If it helps people figure out what they might want to play, the campaign would be combat oriented more than anything else. Trapfinding and other traditional must haves for a dungeon delve wouldn't be needed, but social skills would still be useful (obvioulsy healing and casting still have their place). You would basically be a group travelling from one school to the next, trying to defeat them in order to unite the different disciplines of the sublime way. Anyway, with this limited info on a possible game, give me some character concepts...

Azaar

Explorer
Hmm... now it gets tough. Gee, thanks gabrion. ;)

Seriously... definitely swordsage. I love the flavor of it. My only problem is defining the concept too fully right this moment: part of me is thinking TWFer, part of me is thinking drow, and yet another part of me says just make a silly human and be done with it. I'll think on it over the next few hours and come back with something more solid for you, but at least I know I want the swordsage.

Masquerade

First Post
6th level sounds like a fine compromise. I am very interested in this game.

As long as most WotC sources are available, I may take the opportunity to try out either a beguiler (PHBII) or shadowcaster (ToM), probably multiclassing into one of the ToB classes.

A couple of questions, though, on the topic of multiclassing. Will experience penalties be applied as per the RAW, or will we be doing away with that rule (most DMs I have played with don't like the penalty, but it is best to ask). Also, can fractional BAB and saves (as per Unearthed Arcana) be used for multiclassers?

gabrion

First Post
GoblinMasquerade said:
6th level sounds like a fine compromise. I am very interested in this game.

As long as most WotC sources are available, I may take the opportunity to try out either a beguiler (PHBII) or shadowcaster (ToM), probably multiclassing into one of the ToB classes.

Sounds neat...glad to see you're interested. If you're interested in an arcane character, I would love to see someone play a Jade Phoenix Mage. I would even offere certain...incentives...to do so.

A couple of questions, though, on the topic of multiclassing. Will experience penalties be applied as per the RAW, or will we be doing away with that rule (most DMs I have played with don't like the penalty, but it is best to ask). Also, can fractional BAB and saves (as per Unearthed Arcana) be used for multiclassers?

I'm fine with doing away with the multi-classing rules (and the alignment restrictions for monks for that matter), but I'm not as sure about fractional BAB and saves yet. I'll probably use that if everyone is comfortable with it (I prefer it, but it can make things more complicated). These things will be more certain when I put up a real recruitment thread that has all the chargen guidlines. For now I was just hoping people could come up with solid concepts they would like to play.

hafrogman

Adventurer
gabrion said:
I would love to see someone play a Jade Phoenix Mage. I would even offere certain...incentives...to do so.

Those would have to be some incentives. Gotta be level 7 before you can enter the class.

I'm still looking through the book, but leaning towards warblade, possibly with the Bloodstorm Blade PrC.

ByteRynn

First Post
I'd be interested in going Warblade/Wizard, maybe even looking at the combo mage/initiator class from the book. I am not sure what level you need to be to get the PRC, I'll look tonight and see if it's possible.

Masquerade

First Post
gabrion said:
Sounds neat...glad to see you're interested. If you're interested in an arcane character, I would love to see someone play a Jade Phoenix Mage. I would even offere certain...incentives...to do so.

Jade Phoenix Mage certainly does look appealing. I like the roleplaying implications of the "rite of walking." Right now I'm considering a Beguiler4/Warblade2 (race undecided) with the intent of entering that PrC at about 8th level. I will start working on a more concrete concept.

edit - If ByteRynn playing an arcanist/warblade also concerns anyone, I am certainly still open to and interested in other combinations.

Voidrazor

First Post
I'm still planning on playing a chain weilding crusader. Although I'll probably do a 2 level dip into either fighter or swordsage. Looks like I'll be feat starved, even if you do allow flaws. So the race will either be human or, if allowable, maybe a stoutheart halfling.

Remove ads