• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tonight is Threshold

Alhazred

First Post
Umbran said:
Well, have fun with that. Unless you're a Neilsen person, your boycott is pretty much meaningless, except to yourself. Me, I dont care who the producer is. I care if it's interesting and entertaining. A good show from a person who had a bad record is still a good show.

I watched the pilot, and it earned the right to another couple of episodes.

Agreed. I'll let the show rise or fall on its own merits and not its association with a certain and much loathed exec producer.

As for the other comments, sci-fi science and technology don't bother me so long as internal consistency is maintained. Shows like (some) Star Trek and Babylon 5 were great, not because of the science or technology (which were no more than plot devices) but because of the writers' ability to tell compelling stories and the ability of the characters (and actors) to give life to those stories.

The bit with the North Koreans was, well, stupid. At least it's a change from Islamic terrorists.

RedShirtNo5

First Post
I thought the show did manage to convey a sense of dread. But dialog was pretty bad, and the concepts mostly unoriginal. A full season of covert ops tracking down hidden invaders? I don't see myself staying interested.

Also, it seems to be a foregone conclusion that the aliens are hostile. It would have been much more interesting if their motives were unknown.

-Redshirt

Truth Seeker

Adventurer
Umbran said:
Well, have fun with that. Unless you're a Neilsen person, your boycott is pretty much meaningless, except to yourself. Me, I dont care who the producer is. I care if it's interesting and entertaining. A good show from a person who had a bad record is still a good show.

I watched the pilot, and it earned the right to another couple of episodes.

From that, it sounds like you are not expecting for it to last either ;) . And yes I am one...for now. :p

jasper

Rotten DM
I only saw the first hour and it was ok. One highlight was the midget was an actual character. Problems I saw. You have a fleet of warships around the ship doing sonar etc and you worried about the North Koreans discovering something. Put one guard on the ship and tow into a port. It still an U.S. military ship the most the North Korean sub could do would surface and take pictures, if you didn't blow it out of water for getting to close to U.S. military ship.
Lack of support personnel. Just red shirts who can't fight well.
I may watch this next week but it does not look well.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Like most of the offerings, not great but not bad, either. I, too, liked that Peter Dinklage is playing a main character - I see very few actors with dwarfism taking lead roles (Is the correct term "little person?" "dwarf?") and he's not being played for comic effect, either.

Also, I didn't think he was listed as a Linguist, but a Math Expert - hence the Fractal Pattern business being evident to him. (Hell, the fractal pattern thing was evident to ME, and I'm no mathematician!)

Carla Gugino I don't recognize - I'll have to check her IMDB, but she's darned familiar to me.

And yes, the most annoying thing to me was a North Korean group off the east coast. Somewhere in the middle of the Pacific, I could see, and I understand it's necessity to make him swimming to shore believable, because him swimming across the Pac. Northwest is not just superhuman, it's freaking unbelievable).

stevelabny said:
For the most part, these seem like real nitpicks.
I agree; they didn't bother me terribly much either. I quite enjoyed the pilot; my wife and I will certainly tune in again this coming week.

Arnwyn

First Post
I agree with all of mmu1's issues (in fact, creepily enough, every one of those was something I pointed out during the show). However, despite those problems, I still enjoyed myself. I suppose I liked (most of) the characters enough, as well as the premise, to stay interested.

But the North Koreans? No horde of marines guarding the super-important team when they're in the field? Ouch... it hurt watching that.
Umbran said:
Well, have fun with that. Unless you're a Neilsen person, your boycott is pretty much meaningless, except to yourself.
Uh huh. And? I don't think he was thinking otherwise... :confused:

Crothian said:
They have it away in the previews to the audience so they had to figue it out fast in show. The suspense of the characters not knowing is killed when the audience knows what is going on.
Tolkien might argue with you there. He used that technique all over the place to raise tension.

Rackhir

Explorer
Joshua Dyal said:
Spy Kids. Sin City.

She was also in the excellent, but poorly titled "She Creature".

One note, 80 miles off the US coast is nominally in international waters, but well within the 200 nautical mile "Exclusive Economic Zone" that most countries claim. I'm fairly certain that under international law the NK ship/sub? has every right to be there though. I'm pretty sure the russians parked some of their short ranged SSBN subs were parked even close than that during the cold war.

Last edited:

Remove ads