• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tonight is Threshold

Fast Learner

First Post
It's funny, that's what I thought at first, but then I thought, "There's simply no way they'd do that," and decided that my memory must be off. Too freakin' weird.

Fast Learner

First Post
Well, two episodes were enough, I'm done. Just too weak and incoherent (not in the sense of being incomprehensible, but rather that the stories just don't feel well put together).

John Crichton

First Post
I actually liked the second ep more than the pilot. It wasn't great but it'll keep me watching for a few more weeks.

I'm thinking that lowered expections helped a bit. At least they are revealing what's going on, unlike on Surface.

ohGr

First Post
John Crichton said:
At least they are revealing what's going on, unlike on Surface.
To be fair, we've now had 3 hours of Threshold to only 1 of Surface. Maybe they'll reveal more in the next few episodes.

Yeah, OK, so that's probably not happening. I can hope, though, can't i? :p

John Crichton said:
I actually liked the second ep more than the pilot. It wasn't great but it'll keep me watching for a few more weeks.
I think I did too, although I liked the pilot quite a bit. Of the three Lost clones, this is my wife's favorite so far. Personally, I'm favoring Invasion by a hair, but all three are still interesting to me. I'm not ready to drop any of them yet. But give me a few more episodes, and I'll probably settle on one, or maybe two to follow. Heck, I even watched three episodes of Point Pleasant before I decided I'd had enough. All of three of these are better than that was.

John Crichton

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
I think I did too, although I liked the pilot quite a bit. Of the three Lost clones, this is my wife's favorite so far. Personally, I'm favoring Invasion by a hair, but all three are still interesting to me. I'm not ready to drop any of them yet. But give me a few more episodes, and I'll probably settle on one, or maybe two to follow. Heck, I even watched three episodes of Point Pleasant before I decided I'd had enough. All of three of these are better than that was.
I never watched Point Pleasant so I can't compare to that but I did watch a many eps of Blind Justice, which wasn't great.

I, too, like Invasion the best of the 3 Lost clones. It simply has the best characters. The problem for me is that I really like concept shows (not just fantasy/science fiction genre) and I enjoy the fact that the networks are actually giving this stuff a chance. It ain't Farscape, B5, Firefly or even close but I'll keep watching until it starts to bore me. Doesn't mean all 3 will keep me aboard for an entire season but TiVo allows me to watch whenever the mood strikes so even if it ain't great I'm always in the mood for a new story at the touch of a button.

The funny thing? I really *want* to like Threshold. I like all the principle actors (maybe not their characters), especially Spiner and Gugino (who I've had a thing for since Spy Kids). Dutton is always solid and brings power to his roles. Haven't seen it hit home so far but he's got talent. The trick will be in the writing.

I did come to one conclusion after thinking about the pilot - David Goyer needs to stick to screenwriting and writing in general and stay away from directing. I just don't like his style. I liked Blady Trinity in spite of his direction (Blade II was far superior) and the same may go for Threshold. Joss Whedon he ain't, as a director. Maybe he just needs more practice or just to slow down and concentrate on one project that he really loves. Look at his imdb page and look at all the genre work he is doing right now. I know he's the hot writer at the moment and he's riding a high wave of popularity but there is such a thing as burnout and overwork - as a comparison I'll point to Season 7 of Buffy. Joss was just working on too many shows at once - one had to suffer and it did while the other 2 thrived.

And that Braga is writing for this show doesn't turn me off to it. If it was Berman, it would. Braga had some great shows written early on in his Trek career. Yeah, his later work reeked but you let anyone run free with a franchise lead by a fool and Voyager happens. :)

Henry

Autoexreginated
I'm definitely digging Ramsey - I thought I heard right, linguist AND mathematician. Whether his "language sherlock" moment was true or not, it was believable enough, and fun to watch. The rest of the episode I enjoyed, though it seemed disjointed. I'm unclear how the imprinted software "screensaver" could do what the digital video camera could not -- or maybe that's their way of telling us that the aliens have something different in mind for Caffrey, Pegg, and Cavanaugh, or that those three are "special" in some way.

I'll keep watching for now, though I'm less enthused than I was.

Mad Hatter

First Post
Henry, I think it was a combination of the particular sound waves and probably the light patterns and general changing of that orb-thing.

Remove ads