Torturing myself with music

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
Though not an 80s piece, and overused in movies, the Blue Danube is a classic!

And I must say that Reveille instills me with peace and tranquility. One of the reasons I love MASH!

IronWolf said:
80's hair rock! :D
Yup. That's music that I pretty much only appreciate for it's nostalgic factor these days. But I still likes to hear me some Van Halen, Def Leppard or ZZ Top and get nostalgic.

John Q. Mayhem

Explorer
Nightwish does it for me. Some other songs and bands, too, but not really any that spring to mind. I guess Letter to Dana, by Sonata Arctica, is one.

Ferox4

First Post
ragboy said:
REM, New Model Army, thinking of nostalgia music got me all nostalgic...

New Model Army!

"This golden age of communication
just means everyone talks at the same time."

"No one needs morality
when there isn't enough to eat."

Torm

Explorer
"Maple Street Memories" by the Statler Brothers and "Ozark Mountain Jubilee" by the Oak Ridge Boys both put me in mind of places and times back home in Missouri, and cause me to tear up.

"I'm No Stranger To The Rain" by Keith Whitley, "Heaven" by Warrant, "Without You" by Motley Crue, "Roam" by the B52s, and "Summer Rain" by Belinda Carlisle all remind me of a very bad time I went through when I was 14 to 15 - but for some reason, I guess I'm sick enough in the head to enjoy the pain and listen to them on purpose sometimes. (Actually, there's quite a few country songs from around then that fall into this category, but I don't torture myself by listening to them much anymore...)

"I Will Always Love You" by Dolly Parton (NOT the Whitney Houston abomination) puts me in mind of a really bad time when I was 8, and I don't listen to either version on purpose, because I WILL be crying by the end.

"Faithfully" by Journey and "Take My Breath Away" by Berlin both remind me happily of when my wife and I were dating. And "Freak Me" by Silk will always remind me of my Senior year prom that we went to together, because the teacher who allowed it to be played was a cool guy, who got in a little bit of trouble for that. (He was a little too cool to be a teacher, sometimes, I think - and had a relationship with a former student that means any of us who had him as a teacher will remember him whenever we hear "Don't Stand So Close To Me" by The Police. ;) )

And then, in general, with that I have moved 30 times in as many years, all over the country, sometimes within months, sometimes after a few years, I always remember where I was when I first heard a particular song and remember.

(P.S. If you specifically meant for gaming, the games I hold dearest in my memory are the old Infocom text adventures like Zork and Enchanter, and the original Tetris (all the text was in Russian). All of which had no sound at all. I usually had the radio on while playing, and occasionally something from 86-89 will make me think back to those times, but no particular song I can nail down.)

Last edited:

Henry

Autoexreginated
Torm said:
I don't listen to either version on purpose, because I WILL be crying by the end.

*scribbles note to self* :D

More seriously, the songs that take me back take me back very specifically to between 1987 and 1993, shortly after my mom passed away and shortly before my wife and I got married, the period when I both first dated, and when I met up and "hung with" the group of guys from High School and College who became my first serious gaming group and ultimately group of close friends. As a result, the songs that make me most nostalgic are from Guns 'n Roses, Poison, Metallica, and other rock & metal bands of the time.

"Civil War" takes me specifically to a game room we used to play in (owned by an affluent friend of ours, where we had a pool table, ping pong table AND video games to play if we weren't wargaming or playing AD&D).

"Back in Black" reminds me of a rather fanatic U.S. Military buff who loved fast SUV's, semi-automatic weapons, and playing D&D. In retrospect, he'd have probably been put on a high school threat list nowadays. :)

"Talk Dirty to me" reminds me specifically of a group of female friends I made while working on a high school play, and the fun times we had screaming down rural dirt roads in the bed of a pickup truck at some rather unsafe speeds. :)

A world away, but good times nonetheless. :)

3 genres do it for me. 80s heavy metal, early 90s Alternative and punk, and mid 90s jam bands.

80s heavy metal. Not hair metal so much, but british and thrash metal. I was a huge Megadeth, Anthrax, and Slayer fan back in the day. Iron Maiden was always in the car with me.

In the 90s, I really got into the whole alternative scene as it was just starting to emerge. Caught many of the soon to be huge bands on early club tours, and really got into the hardcore industrial scene.

After college, I got tired of the industrial and alternative scenes, and somehow ended up going to show after show seeing bands like Phish, Grateful Dead, Widespread Panic, and the like. Tranced out to a long jam going who knows where for 20 minutes while I danced was where I wanted to be.

Remove ads