Total eclipse 2024 plans?

Kaodi

Hero
I have never looked directly at any solar eclipse before, let alone a total solar eclipse. Got glasses from the library this morning - hopefully I do not go blind, lol. I expect that the park outside this same library will have quite a few people.

Years ago in my astronomy class our prof told us a total solar eclipse was comparable in beauty to an aurora.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Here in Boston, if it isn't cloudy, we are apt to get something like 90% totality, which is good enough for me. Might make a quick pinhole projector for it.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Some of my friends are planning on making a road trip to a 100% zone. I'm going with them, having bought enough of those special eclipse glasses (purchased almost a year ago now, since I was sure they'd sell out fast once the date neared) for everyone.

R_J_K75

Legend
100% totality here in Buffalo if I'm not mistaken. They are expecting an influx of up to a million tourists into the WNY area, which will no doubt be interesting. I'm just going to stock up on beer, liquor, sit in my driveway and fire up the grill...if the weather's good.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
I have never looked directly at any solar eclipse before, let alone a total solar eclipse. Got glasses from the library this morning - hopefully I do not go blind, lol. I expect that the park outside this same library will have quite a few people.

Years ago in my astronomy class our prof told us a total solar eclipse was comparable in beauty to an aurora.
Yeah, be careful looking at the sun before and after totality. Even when the sun is mostly covered, it can still can hurt your eyes if you stare at it.
One thing I also like to do is look at the shadows of leaves under trees. You can see thousands of wavering images of the crescent sun cast onto the ground in the minutes before and after the total eclipse. (It's the same principle as the pinhole camera that Umbran mentioned.)

But during totality - when the sun is completely covered - it's perfectly safe to look at. Like your prof said, that's the best part, because you can see the faint wispy corona around the sun that is normally too dim against the normal sunlight. It is ghostly and beautiful.

R_J_K75

Legend
I have never looked directly at any solar eclipse before, let alone a total solar eclipse.
I have a friend who told me this story when we were kids. His father and his buddy in the 1960s decided it be a good idea to ignore warnings and looked directly at an eclipse without any protection, thinking "eh what's the worse that can happen?". He still see's spots to this day.

Scribe

Legend
GIF by Skratch Labs

Except its work.

Remove ads