Total eclipse 2024 plans?

GreyLord

Legend
I'll be meeting a friend in Tampa and then we'll start a drive to Texas in the Dallas Area to watch the eclipse. Long drive (18 hours or thereabouts) just to see this, but considering the next full eclipse in the United states is not for another 20 years...I think I'll do the drive.

Just pray we don't have any vehicular problems on the way and that the skies are clear during the eclipse.

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
eclipse_coolness.png

Alt-text: "A partial eclipse is like a cool sunset. A total eclipse is like someone broke the sky."

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
My wife and I are taking our dogs up to Syracuse, and then on the day of driving a bit further towards either Rochester or Buffalo to be closer to the center. We've never seen a total eclipse!

But 90% of the people I talk to have no idea why we're driving to see the total eclipse- "you can see it from here, why are you driving upstate for it?" And when I explain that the sky goes dark during the day they either get it, or they just won't understand.

GreyLord

Legend
So, we went, and then afterwards...Slidell happened.

It was crazier after the eclipse than prior in travel.

I got to see the totality though. Weather man predicted that we'd have thunderstorms that day rather than the next two, but we still got to see it. It was somewhat cloudy, but the totality was clear.

We stayed a day more to avoid traffic, but hit storms on the way back. Should have probably left day of rather than waiting a day.

I can at least say that I've now see a full eclipse in person.

Distracted DM

Distracted DM
Supporter
The entirety of New York was heavy cloud cover- we caught glimpses of the total eclipse which was cool, day turned to night and our dogs kind of freaked out (as did some of the wildlife). It was enough to whet our appetites, now we're looking at catching the 2026 or 2027 total eclipse elsewhere.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
I woke up 5 AM eclipse morning in DFW and saw the unfavorable local forecast, so I hopped in the car and drove to central Arkansas. Glad I did, too, because it was absolutely gorgeous in the hills there among the pines. Bonus points: My family back in DFW (who were stuck at work/school that day) got a brief respite from their clouds and managed to see it, after all.

Remove ads