• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Total Monster Ecology Chaos!

Erebus Red

First Post
It strikes me as unlikely that humans would have such a predominant stronghold in worlds as full of diverse and powerful monsters as say the Realms for example.

Any speculation as to what man's place in things would really be and which creatures would be running the show?

kengar

First Post
Erebus Red said:
It strikes me as unlikely that humans would have such a predominant stronghold in worlds as full of diverse and powerful monsters as say the Realms for example.

Any speculation as to what man's place in things would really be and which creatures would be running the show?

Brunch. :D

Dragons most likely (off the cuff, don't have MM with me).

Arken

Explorer
In theory it should be pretty easy for Devils to take over a world.

I'd go with them I think they have the rank and file that dragons don't plus they're organised...

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Yeah, but if Devils get involved, you know Demons are going to challenge them, and Celestials are going to want to get rid of 'em both, and I bet even some of the neutrals would jump in on the side of the Celestials, since your average world should be 'neutral' in the grand scheme.

I'd say that the major advantage would lie with a humanoid species, because humanoids have something most other monsters don't -- class levels. No matter how mighty a dragon is, they can't learn to cast WISH. Or, at the very least, a human spellcaster will get there a LOT sooner than the said dragon (who has to devote time and nebulous experience to learning how to be a dragon first).

Let's face it, anything with class levels has a definate edge in versatility and ability that no purely 'monster' creature has.

Erebus Red

First Post
but that is a bit unrealistic in a way - surely many intelligent creatures could 'level up' and increase in power. I;m kind of throwing the rule book out on this one and just looking at the species interaction.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
The ability for a species to become dominant over the long haul is tied to it's rate of procreation and ability to adapt, if I am not mistaken. I think most D&D settings (and the books) take this into account (either consciously or otherwise) and that leaves Humans in the driver's seat.

Remove ads