• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Totemist has ruined me, or "Why Natural Attacks seem cooler than Weapon Attacks"

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
So I'm more a skill monkey or caster kinda guy. The idea of Being Batman appeals to me.

And so when I decided to turn my attention to building a damage dealer, I looked at the Totemist, bercause it seemed different. And it is!

Girallon Arms grant 4 natural attacks. Lamia Belt adds 2 more. Mix in any number of ways to get a bite attack. Strength Mod. applies to all.

Multiattack feat grants only a -2 penalty on 6 out of those 7 attacks. Improved Multiattack makes the penalties go away.

There are a number of ways to get a full attack after a move.

...So, when comparing these juicy combat skills to the multiple attacks one can get using standard BAB and weapons with the attack score decending by 5 points, I can't think of any reason to consider playing another class as a damage dealer.

Compare the following to a classic melee build:

Level 5 Totemist-

BAB 3

Having Girallon Arms bound to your Totem Chakra grants you 4 claw attacks. Take the Multiattack and Improved Multiattack feats and you're doing all 4 attacks at full BAB. It only gets better from here.

I think Totemist is my new favorite melee class. Can anyone else educate me as to why I might try to play a more classic build compared to this?

Last edited:

Drowbane

First Post
Medium BAB sucks. Aside from that, Totemists can be pretty badass. I once had a Warforged Totemist (tee-hee). Two slams (warforged feat for second) + four claws + bite (warforged feat) with Adamantine Body. Good times.

"His" name was Nanite.

WHW4

First Post
The only "reason" I can think of to not play it is it doesn't sound very fun or flavorful. At least to me.

I can wrap my mind around the image of a warrior swinging a sword or a faerie casting spells or what-have-you. The totemist just lacks a coolness factor. With all those attacks I instantly think of the Tasmanian devil and the whole dust cloud with arms and legs flailing out at random times. Just seems silly.

I guess it just boils down to what looks cool in your head while you're playing. If you like it, play it!

xigbar

Explorer
They're really fun in gestalt games. Pair them with Swordsage of Warblade on the other side for tiger claw maneuvers. Or a Race with multiple appendages. Insectile Arrow Demon is something i'd like to try. Based on what you've just stated, it would have 14 natural attacks. Or, actually, be a were-giant squid on the other side.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
I've built a Totemist Based off a Longtooth Shifter, took 5 levels of Weretouched Master and went the Tiger route, and capped the build off with 4 levels of Warshaper for kicks.

Medium BAB sucks. Aside from that, Totemists can be pretty badass. I once had a Warforged Totemist (tee-hee). Two slams (warforged feat for second) + four claws + bite (warforged feat) with Adamantine Body. Good times.

"His" name was Nanite.
Nanite sounds awesome.

While I agree that Medium BAB is poo compared to Full in most cases, a Totemist 20 with 7 natural attacks gets those attacks at 15/10/10/10/10/10/10. Toss in Multiattack feat someplace and it's 7 attacks at 15/13/13/13/13/13/13, use Improved Multiattack at it's 15 across the board.
A Barbarian level 20 gets 4 attacks at 20/15/10/5. I haven't playtested Totemist at level 20 yet but the math looks better.

This is what's selling me on Totemist. More attacks at an overall higher accuracy.

The only "reason" I can think of to not play it is it doesn't sound very fun or flavorful. At least to me.

I can wrap my mind around the image of a warrior swinging a sword or a faerie casting spells or what-have-you. The totemist just lacks a coolness factor. With all those attacks I instantly think of the Tasmanian devil and the whole dust cloud with arms and legs flailing out at random times. Just seems silly.

I guess it just boils down to what looks cool in your head while you're playing. If you like it, play it!
Tazmanian Devil, yeah, I like that idea. I was picturing more of a pounce, grab and slash outwards in all directions, but that's fun too.

Dandu

First Post
16-WOLVERINE-65.jpg

WHW4

First Post
Hm. Granted this is D&D Legacy forum so this may be blasphemous.... but have you looked much at M&M 2e? Specifically the Warriors and Warlocks source book?

You could model whatever concept you wanted. There are some cool ways to simulate multiple attacks with descriptors and whatnot. Just a random thought that popped into my head when I saw the nice pic of Wolvie.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Hm. Granted this is D&D Legacy forum so this may be blasphemous.... but have you looked much at M&M 2e? Specifically the Warriors and Warlocks source book?

You could model whatever concept you wanted. There are some cool ways to simulate multiple attacks with descriptors and whatnot. Just a random thought that popped into my head when I saw the nice pic of Wolvie.
I possess oodles of 3.x books, I've got nothing in 2nd edition.

Remove ads