• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Touch Attacks and Cover AC Bonus

Marauder

First Post
Hi all,

With respect to touch attacks, the PHB states that only Size, Dex and Deflection AC bonuses apply to a targets AC.

However, Mage Armour (force spell) also contributes towards AC vs touch attack. Looks like that got omitted.

Is this a similar case for Cover AC bonuses? Ie, does the extra AC provided by a Shield spell (or a wall, for that matter) contribute towards a target's AC versus a Touch Attack?

My initial inclination is yes (as Rays are generalyy ranged touch attacks, and to me that's not too disimaler to shooting someone with a bow, for example) but my reasoning may well be flawed. Can anyone shed some light onto this area for me please?

Many thanks!

gfunk

First Post
An important point is that force effects like Mage Armor are only effective against incorporeal touch attacks. Against, normal touch attacks they are as useless as any other Armor bonus.

Cover is a tricky issue that needs to be dealt with on a case by case basis. The PHB says that a Tower Shield does not provide cover against touch attacks, either normal or ranged. The reason for this is that even if someone touches the shield, you are still damaged as the shield is a part of your gear.

The case is tricker with the spell Shield, which provides a force effect that is not directly attached to you. IMC, we allow Shield spells to guard against touch attacks.

Cover that is not attached to you, like walls and such would work against touch attacks IMO.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Marauder said:
Hi all,

With respect to touch attacks, the PHB states that only Size, Dex and Deflection AC bonuses apply to a targets AC.

However, Mage Armour (force spell) also contributes towards AC vs touch attack. Looks like that got omitted.

It was omitted because it does not contribute to your Touch AC.

Mage armor is an armor bonus, and touch attacks bypass any armor or natural armor bonus. If it's not an armor or natural armor bonus, it still applies to your touch AC.

Is this a similar case for Cover AC bonuses? Ie, does the extra AC provided by a Shield spell (or a wall, for that matter) contribute towards a target's AC versus a Touch Attack?

Since it doesn't provide an Armor or Natural Armor bonus, touch attacks cannot ignore it.

Marauder

First Post
Great, thanks for your help!

I guess it was more of a common-sense question but it is nice to be sure about the answer now.

The Mage Armour thing - okay, incorporeal touch attacks only! I'll keep that in mind!

gfunk - interesting point with the Tower Shield and cover - luckily nobody in my group uses one but it's good to remember!

Caliban - by rephrasing it to say that touch attacks ignore normal and natural armour bonuses makes it a lot easier for adjudicating other possible eventualities - thanks!

Darklone

Marauder said:
Great, thanks for your help!

I guess it was more of a common-sense question but it is nice to be sure about the answer now.

The Mage Armour thing - okay, incorporeal touch attacks only! I'll keep that in mind!

That confused a lot of people... Actually Mage armour helps as force effect against incorporeal beings... and those beings use touch attacks... this should have been stated more explicitely it seems :(

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads