• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Touch of Golden Ice

mcgeedis

First Post
The feat description states that evil creatures that are touched and fail their save take initial damage of 1d6 and secondary damage of 2d6. So, other than the loss of AC and a creature losing it's ranged/finesse bonus to attack, what other consequences does a character or creature suffer from having a low Dex?

iceifur

Explorer
Though, point of note, the Dex damage from Golden Ice is actually worse than 1d6/2d6. Check the paragraphs under the Ravages and Afflictions tables. You add the evil creature's Charisma bonus to the ability damage dealt (both initial and secondary), and you then add even more ability damage if the creature is an evil undead, evil outsider, or an evil cleric of an evil deity.

Nothing like slamming a Succubus for 1d6+10 Dex every time she fails a save, let alone the additional 2d6+10 Dex if she fails another a minute later. With a Dex of only 13, the initial damage from the first failed save will (on average) take her down to 0 Dex, and therefore out of the fight.

So, yeah ... I don't really think you need any additional effects.

Thanee

First Post
iceifur said:
Though, point of note, the Dex damage from Golden Ice is actually worse than 1d6/2d6. Check the paragraphs under the Ravages and Afflictions tables. You add the evil creature's Charisma bonus to the ability damage dealt (both initial and secondary), and you then add even more ability damage if the creature is an evil undead, evil outsider, or an evil cleric of an evil deity.

Wow! :eek:

Guess I always missed that part, too. :D

Bye
Thanee

mcgeedis

First Post
All good points. The main reason why I am asking is that out of the many things that I have read, it seems that Touch of Golden Ice is one of the best feats from BoED. I want to make sure I understand it's full potential.

If you have a negative Dexterity modifier, does that count against your AC?

IanB

First Post
Depending on your own interpretation of the rules for prerequisites, feats that have dex requirements, and thus class features of prestige classes that require said feats as prerequisites could also be lost.

Not a big fan of that myself, it gets complicated.

Remove ads