• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Town and Village Generator

towngen

First Post
Well, I'm logging on here for the first time in over a year. And it seems that someone still remembered my little project.

I'm completely flattered. :)

I'm somewhat embarrased by the fact that I'm the biggest procrastinator on earth. I have a pile of excuses about my job, personal life, etc... but you probably don't want to hear about that stuff, you want to hear about the program I'm writing.

The short answer is that I haven't worked on it in a year, but I plan to begin working on it again soon.

However, my previous plans of selling the program are off. Having just spent the last year working my butt off getting a product to market, the last thing I want to do is feel the pressure of putting out another product.

So my current plans are to simply give the program away free.

That way, I don't have to feel the slightest bit guilty about any bugs or procrastination on my part.

I'm including a zip file of the EXE as it exists today. Bear in mind, nothing has changed in an entire year, so if you downloaded this before, it's probably the same as it was. I have not tested this distribution on other targets, so hopefully it doesn't need any support files to run. If it fails to run, please note the error message and tell me.

If you have comments or suggestions, please feel free to email me at walter@[no_spam_please]appinnov.com.

Walter

Attachments

• TownGen.zip
    173.8 KB · Views: 247

annadobritt

First Post
towngen said:
Well, I'm logging on here for the first time in over a year. And it seems that someone still remembered my little project.

I'm completely flattered. :)

I'm somewhat embarrased by the fact that I'm the biggest procrastinator on earth. I have a pile of excuses about my job, personal life, etc... but you probably don't want to hear about that stuff, you want to hear about the program I'm writing.

The short answer is that I haven't worked on it in a year, but I plan to begin working on it again soon.

However, my previous plans of selling the program are off. Having just spent the last year working my butt off getting a product to market, the last thing I want to do is feel the pressure of putting out another product.

So my current plans are to simply give the program away free.

That way, I don't have to feel the slightest bit guilty about any bugs or procrastination on my part.

I'm including a zip file of the EXE as it exists today. Bear in mind, nothing has changed in an entire year, so if you downloaded this before, it's probably the same as it was. I have not tested this distribution on other targets, so hopefully it doesn't need any support files to run. If it fails to run, please note the error message and tell me.

If you have comments or suggestions, please feel free to email me at walter@[no_spam_please]appinnov.com.

Walter

There's a few of us who still remember your program. Looking forward to the new version. :D

Davin

First Post
towngen said:
FYI -- giving away your software does not seem to give one of much relief from procrastination guilt. [Spoken from first-hand experience. (sigh)]

towngen

First Post
Davin said:
FYI -- giving away your software does not seem to give one of much relief from procrastination guilt. [Spoken from first-hand experience. (sigh)]

Dang it. In that case I'll charge $1000 a copy!

Actually, starting a project and not finishing it is worse than the procrastination to me. Anyway, I'll be happy if I can provide something worthwhile that people like.

morpheous1777

First Post
Here is one I created, It uses the rules from the DMG and the rules from the Epic level handbook (if you choose), It doesnt create buildings.

Requires the .NET Framework (Here )

Attachments

• MikesHelpers.zip
    55.8 KB · Views: 122

towngen

First Post
Haradim said:
Run-time error '53':

File not found

Ah yes, I totally forgot the program loads a file with the information on deities in it. It's attached, put it in the same directory as the exe.

Sorry. I haven't even looked at my code in a year ...

Attachments

• Diety Info.txt
    4.9 KB · Views: 170

GregoryTechSoft

First Post
Six and a half years late, I am compelled to add a response. Most of those links mentioned are not functional anymore, so I don't know what others are wanting. Perhaps like the rest of you, I've looked at a number of other generators, but I came to the conclusion that sooner or later I'd have to just roll my own (pun intended).

Walter's little applet is interesting, if you can get past the crashes. I myself have been looking at the source code; as an independant developer, I've been attempting to code my own (I'm almost there, too, but in Java so as to be cross-platform). I am doing things little more complicated, however, as you may understand later.

Sometime after Y2k, say the next year or so, I happened upon another guy doing his own town generator, by the name of John J Kroetch whose applet was in an archive oh Lord I don't remember where it was. I actually emailed him after using it a couple months to ask a bit more about it, and his response was that the source code to that program was destroyed, so he couldn't work on it anymore; perhaps he just didn't have the time to do anything with it.

These two applets have some major differences. John's program was purely a building-generator and list manager, id-est, what buildings exist in the town, seemingly only including the business owner's name, race, gender, etc as an afterthought. Whereas, Walter's focuses on generating hierarchies of people and organizations found in the town (in this context I wouldn't say "town generator", but "community generator"), and there's no way to save the data to edit within the app later. My interest is in incorporating aspects of both into a full application that can allow you to generate, save, load, and edit the information.

I'm concerned with handling these aspects, the buildings and the people, because they are intrinsically linked. I wouldn't say so much that it'll feature a character generator, except that to generate businesses I want to generate the business owners, and the workers, and the other townsmen who are the patrons.

More info as I develop it (or, PM me, if you're so inclined to discuss).

Remove ads