• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Town Generator progress report

towngen

First Post
Any gamers out there that were hoping that one day my Town Generator would be finished have probably long since gotten disappointed and forgotten my project by now since, I've neglected to keep anyone informed on what I was doing. So here is a brief update for any of you who are still interested:

I had to take a break for several months from development due to various personal reasons, but I am working on the project once more.

The long task of completely gutting the horrible spagetti code I wrote to begin with and creating a reasonable set of code in nice object oriented classes is almost complete. A great many of the underlying data structures got changed dramatically, and the code that is running underneath looks NOTHING like it did before, but a user probably wouldn't notice a single think different on the screen.

The big difference is that now I actually have a reasonable set of class objects to work with and can start extending the creation of a town beyond what was specified in the user interface. So now I finally get to start working on the fun part of the code.

I'd really hate to even speculate on a release date for even an alpha version at this point, but I just wanted to reassure the 2 or 3 people out there that may still be interested in this project that I am still plugging away at it in my spare time (along with about 4 other hobby projects).

Cheers!

Walter

PS: If anyone is curious, the methodology I am using to generate a town is a much more rigid system than what is being discussed in the thread Jamis Buck started on generator theory. I'm using a heavily sequenced "top down" method, where the user defines an ever narrowing set of parameters to the town until a complete enough definition is created to allow the computer to "finish" the town by itself. This will introduce a lot of limitations, but it will also allow for a much higher quality output given that I can only devote a finite amount of time to the project. My generator will ONLY be for creating somewhat "average" D&D type towns.

GWolf

First Post
YES!

You have mad me a happy man! I ahve waited so long to hear of your progress. if you think there is anyway I can help instant message me at gmwolf9.

MJEggertson

First Post
Excellent. I hadn't forgotten about your project, and I was wondering what happened to it. I'm still very interested in supplying feedback, if you need it.

Note, my email address has changed.

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
sign me up for this! I have been waiting forever for it! I thought you were dead and got hit by a truck!

thank god your alive!!!

annadobritt

First Post
Three cheers! Towngen is back! If you need someone to test the program I'd be happy to!:D

I hadn't forgotten about the program you were creating.

Fast Learner

First Post
towngen said:
PS: If anyone is curious, the methodology I am using to generate a town is a much more rigid system than what is being discussed in the thread Jamis Buck started on generator theory. I'm using a heavily sequenced "top down" method, where the user defines an ever narrowing set of parameters to the town until a complete enough definition is created to allow the computer to "finish" the town by itself. This will introduce a lot of limitations, but it will also allow for a much higher quality output given that I can only devote a finite amount of time to the project.

FWIW I'm taking a similar approach to my adventure generator. It will let you create lots of cool encounters, locations, and adventures, but it will not be ultimately flexible and uses the same top-down approach. In my past software projects I've discovered that reaching for the stars results in me never finishing the thing, so instead I reach for Mars and settle for Luna. :)

To sum, and get back on topic, I think you're taking a great approach and I'm really looking forward to your town generator!

Last edited:

towngen

First Post
Updates?!? :eek:

Already?

It's only been a couple days! I've got a full time job, and I'm currently taking 10 hours of college courses in the evenings in an attempt to finish my degree before I die (yeah right). When you add in time for homework, papers, studying, commuting to work & school, sleep and eating, that doesn't leave much time for any of my projects. :( My embedded telescope controller project seems like it's getting nowhere from massive neglect, my furniture building projects are collecting dust, and all my electronics stuff is going to be found by some archaelogist a million years from now only half done.

Of all my projects, the town generator is the only one that has regularly gotten my attention recently. Part of this is due to the fact that I know some of you are waiting for it. Sorry, but all I can say is ... relax. I'm working as fast as I can. Really. :)

Once I have additional news to share, I'll post that info here. I promise. :)

Remove ads