• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Town Generator Source Code Comming

towngen

First Post
I recently had an inquiry about the Town Generator that I was working on several years ago. Unfortunately, I'm sad to say that the past tense in the previous sentence is not a typo. I guess I have to finally accept that I'm probably not going to get back to it. Rather than let the project drop and the work I've done be lost, I've decided I'd rather share it with everyone. I don't have the latest source code with me here at work, but once I get home this evening, I'll zip up the whole thing and post the source code here. It is done it VB6 and will be about a 200 kB zip file (hopefully, posting a file that size isn't against the rules). As the original author and copyright holder to this code I will simply assign the entire thing to the public domain as a gift to the community. Hopefully, someone will be able to use some of it, be inspired by it to do their own thing, or maybe even finish it (I'm not holding my breath on this last one). I feel like a putz having to admit that once again I'm not finishing something that I started, but I'd rather share it, than let it all be lost. I'll include my email address in the readme file inside the zip file, so if you have a question about the code you can email me. Thank you for your understanding.

Walter

towngen

First Post
Towngen Source

As the copyright holder to the attached software, I assign the ownership of the copyright to the public domain. Enjoy!

Walter

Attachments

• TownGenPublicRelease.zip
    201.7 KB · Views: 155

towngen

First Post
Exe

I realized I might need to add an EXE version just in case you can't compile it. I downloaded to my office what I uploaded this morning and compiled it. It ran fine.

You'll probably notice that the export to TXT file on the last page doesn't really do anything yet. And not everything is fleshed out in the summary screen (the real guts of the program are filling out this summary screen). I haven't even looked at the code in 2 years, but I actually finished more than I remember. :) Maybe it is possible for someone to finish this. Who knows?

Anyway, I hope someone finds this useful. If nothing else it demonstrates the use of class objects to VB programmers who are used to writing completely free form code.

Enjoy!

Walter

PS: If you have questions related to porting the code to VB .NET, ask someone else. I know exactly ZERO about .NET. I assume you can run this using a newer version of VB than version 6, but I've never tried and don't care to. If you try this, good luck, I wish you all the best! If .NET works, you might post any lessons learned here for others to learn from.

Attachments

• TownGenExecutable.zip
    187.7 KB · Views: 132

Altefcat

First Post
Thank you so much for releasing your source code, that is very kind of you, and will be of great use in my devs. And actually in any independant dev of the open source community (like the ones wandering on rec.games.roguelike.development).

I plan to implement a part of your generator in a future release of my game to produce 2D graphical cities. Once again thank you, you enlightened my week-end ! :cool:

annadobritt

First Post
towngen said:
I recently had an inquiry about the Town Generator that I was working on several years ago. Unfortunately, I'm sad to say that the past tense in the previous sentence is not a typo. I guess I have to finally accept that I'm probably not going to get back to it. Rather than let the project drop and the work I've done be lost, I've decided I'd rather share it with everyone. I don't have the latest source code with me here at work, but once I get home this evening, I'll zip up the whole thing and post the source code here. It is done it VB6 and will be about a 200 kB zip file (hopefully, posting a file that size isn't against the rules). As the original author and copyright holder to this code I will simply assign the entire thing to the public domain as a gift to the community. Hopefully, someone will be able to use some of it, be inspired by it to do their own thing, or maybe even finish it (I'm not holding my breath on this last one). I feel like a putz having to admit that once again I'm not finishing something that I started, but I'd rather share it, than let it all be lost. I'll include my email address in the readme file inside the zip file, so if you have a question about the code you can email me. Thank you for your understanding.

Walter

Cool. Now I can see what the files look like. Still wish you could have completed the program, it would have been really excellent.

Thank you for releasing the code. :)

Remove ads