• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Toys to be used with our Games?

Rel

Liquid Awesome
If you haven't seen me hawk it in one of the dozen other threads I've done it already, check out the Descent: Journeys in the Dark boardgame. It's got eighty (80) miniatures in a wide variety of adventurer and creature types, a wicked cool snap together dungeon that is infinitely configurable, a TON of counters that you can use to denote terrain, effects and conditions. It is the best thing I've ever bought for RPG gaming that wasn't an RPG game.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
If you haven't seen me hawk it in one of the dozen other threads I've done it already, check out the Descent: Journeys in the Dark boardgame. It's got eighty (80) miniatures in a wide variety of adventurer and creature types, a wicked cool snap together dungeon that is infinitely configurable, a TON of counters that you can use to denote terrain, effects and conditions. It is the best thing I've ever bought for RPG gaming that wasn't an RPG game.

I'm assuming the figs weren't prepainted, but painted by the people who posted the pics? It's hard to tell what scale they are but they seem to be comparable to 25-30mm.

Even not painted, however, those are just absolutely awesome for the price. Those sculpts are amazing. Especially the Kobolds, Ogres, Hellhounds, and Giant Bats. The character figures are outstanding also. D&D miniatures could learn a thing or two from these sets.

Thanks for posting a link to these. I know what just went to the top of my purchase list for 2009.:D

Pepster

First Post
I admit one of my new favorite hobbies is scanning the clearance isle of the local Wal-Mart for Legos and other toys on clearance. Someday I plan to finally put together my Legotopia campaign using the Savage Worlds rules, using all those Legos, Megabloks and Playmobil sets I've been hoarding through my adult years. :cool:

I have bought some toy dragons, figures from Schleich and Papo, the "Toobs" mentioned by earlier posters, plastic animals, aquarium plants, and flat-bottomed snowmen ornaments.

Sometimes you just have to make your own miniatures. I found you can breathe life into most any inanimate object just by gluing two wiggle eyes on it. :lol:

Pepster

Rel

Liquid Awesome
I'm assuming the figs weren't prepainted, but painted by the people who posted the pics? It's hard to tell what scale they are but they seem to be comparable to 25-30mm.

I'm far from an expert on figures but I think these are 25mm scale. I know that the figs for the characters are slightly smaller than D&D minis tend to be. The bases are all sized to fit on a 1" grid (obviously some of them take up more than 1 such square). The figures do not come pre-painted though I've seen some incredible paint jobs done on them.

My favorite thing about them is the variety. They cover so many iconic monster roles from Beastman, Skeleton, Hellhound, Giant Spider, Ogre, Giant, Dragon, Demon, Manticore, Naga, Sorcerer, "Razorwing" (those are the ones that look like giant bats). It's like a D&D starter set complete with snap-together dungeon right out of the box! The game itself is fun too, though it takes a LONG time to play each of the scenarios.

I'm probably a fan in part because I got the game at a big discount but even at retail price (around $80) I think it's a great value for what you get.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I just came from Michaels tonight, and picked up a "Giant Hoot Owl" from their regular collection (and I'm looking for their snapping turtle, tres formidables compared to 25-28mm minis). I also got 3 dragons from Safari's new Mythical Realms line. The line also includes a Griffin and Pheonix as well as certain humanoid figures, but I thought they were too big.

Example 1: Safari Green Dragon Toy
Example 2:
Compare Safari Red Dragon Figure Prices - Shop for Toys at mySimon
Example 3:
Safari Sea Dragon (801229) Buy options at PriceSpider.com
Example 4:
Safari Childrens Educational Toys & Replicas Dragon Replicas

(Note: I don't have those first 3 on that last link yet, one of which is from Sleich, BTW.)

In addition, I second the comment about Christmas accessories- walls, etc.- and would like to further expand that to suggest that you look in regular hobby stores. There, you'll find a LOT of stuff related to diorama building and railroad hobbies...trees, walls, and all kinds of terrain and buildings.

pawsplay

Hero
The ultimate toys for gaming are, of course, those little plastic dinsoaurs and kaiju toys that inspired the umber hulk, rust monster, and bulette. Man, I wish I still had those. It was so confusing to me as a kid to get a rust monster in a set of "dinosaurs" and at the time I mistook the chain of cause and effect. Does anyone remember the name of those toys?

frankthedm

First Post
The ultimate toys for gaming are, of course, those little plastic dinsoaurs and kaiju toys that inspired the umber hulk, rust monster, and bulette. Man, I wish I still had those. It was so confusing to me as a kid to get a rust monster in a set of "dinosaurs" and at the time I mistook the chain of cause and effect. Does anyone remember the name of those toys?
They did not seem to designate a specific company last time i saw them. Also which one was supposed to be the umber hulk? None of the ones I see look even close.

pawsplay

Hero
They did not seem to designate a specific company last time i saw them. Also which one was supposed to be the umber hulk? None of the ones I see look even close.

The umber hulk looked like a little gray Michelin man with pincers on his face. Honestly, what you just wrote, combined with the fact that they came mixed with dinosaurs, gives me the notion that the original molds may have been sold and reused.

jinnetics

Explorer
Many dollar stores have inexpensive small scale animals and dinosaurs, as well as cheap buildings, like those used for train sets and holiday displays.

Dollar stores ARE a great place for these -but it should be noted that if there are children in the place where you play, care should be taken. Many of the toys that end up in dollar stores are there for a reason, and China has recently been responsible for many substandard products that endanger our children.

Remove ads