• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Trading in Heavy armor

Kazuel

First Post
Is there any guidlines for trading the Heavy Armor profiecency of a paladin and if so what benifit woulds said palidan gain? Keep in mind my DM is fairly open to customizing classes and I want to give up heavy armor for my paladin completely. what, if anything, could I gain?

Terraism

Explorer
Not necessarily. Pre-selected feats are rarely worth as much as feats of your choice. Moreover, he already stated he wouldn't use that feat, so giving it up costs him nothing. I'd say it's probably worth about half a feat - meaning, one of the weaker feats that fits his style.

Crothian

First Post
I wouldn't allow it. What's next, giving up the use of a halbard for a feat since the martial weapon feat only grants ytou a single weapon, then each of those weapons in Knows all Martial weapons must be worth a feat on their own.

Lord Pendragon

First Post
Crothian said:
I wouldn't allow it. What's next, giving up the use of a halbard for a feat since the martial weapon feat only grants ytou a single weapon, then each of those weapons in Knows all Martial weapons must be worth a feat on their own.
I wouldn't allow it either, for the reasons Crothian has mentioned. You don't get to pick a class, then strip away everything you figure you won't use to get free bennies.

And on a side note, though I don't know if this is what you're thinking, I rule that you need Heavy Armor Proficiency to wear mithril full plate.

Victim

First Post
I'd give you Nothing in exchange. Heavy Armor doesn't really increase the AC a character have; it just removes much of the dependence on Dex for getting AC.

Goolpsy

First Post
I'd allow it. I would want a Fair statement on why he dont want it... etc. he wanna be ranger alike without armor... and then let him trade it for something small, only working under the described conditions etc.

Prism

Explorer
By way of comparison the thug varient fighter in unearthed arcana trades in heavy and medium armour proficiency and a feat to get 4 class skills and 2 skill points per level. I would say that heavy armour proficiency is worth very little on its own. Maybe a couple of extra class skills

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
I allow a couple of variant fighters in my campaign that swap out heavy armor and shield proficiency for either Two-Weapon Fighting or Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Guns.

But that's in the realm of house rules.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads