Trailblazer Monster Book

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garnfellow

Explorer
I just want to reiterate how much I appreciate Trailblazer: this is a fantastically helpful product, and the analysis of the d20 system's spine alone would make it worth the price of admission.

I've seen some mention of a monster book. Is this still in the works? As a monster junkie I'd love to see what the Trailblazer team would do on this front.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
I just want to reiterate how much I appreciate Trailblazer: this is a fantastically helpful product, and the analysis of the d20 system's spine alone would make it worth the price of admission.

I am very gratified (and I am sure I speak for Chris as well) that folks are finding it useful.

I've seen some mention of a monster book. Is this still in the works? As a monster junkie I'd love to see what the Trailblazer team would do on this front.

Yes!

Chris has finished Animals and Vermin, both of which served as a testbed for our design philosophy moving forward, and now the real work begins-- applying those practices to the bulk of the monsters.

I've encouraged Chris to show some of his work here-- this seems as good a thread as any. I'm sure he'll have something up for comment soon.

GlassJaw

Hero

Thanks! We think you'll like the new revised version even better!

I've encouraged Chris to show some of his work here-- this seems as good a thread as any. I'm sure he'll have something up for comment soon.

I will indeed. As Ben said, we used the animals and vermin section as our testing ground to work out our revised statblock and do some initial design (like a new monster skill system).

I might take a few of the more complicated monsters (especially ones with a lot of spell-like abilities) and apply the new statblock to see how things look.

One thing Ben and I have talked about for inclusion in the monster book is something we have been calling "quick templates". These are changes that you can apply to monsters quickly that don't require any calculations and don't change the creature's CR.

GlassJaw

Hero
Ok, I'm back, I'm back. Very busy holiday this year but posting some monster design threads is at the top of my list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads