[Trailer] The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

frankthedm

First Post
Also, I'm surprised by how prominent Legolas is in the trailer. He wasn't even in the bloody book!
Explaining Legolas' role in "The Hobbit", Peter Jackson says, "He's [elven king] Thranduil's son, and Thranduil is one of the characters in The Hobbit, and because elves are immortal it makes sense Legolas would be part of the sequence in the Woodland Realm."
Also, you can't trust trailers. They might have shown the majority of Legolas's role in the movie, just to reel in Bloom's fans.

jbear

First Post
I have to laugh when I hear criticism of the first part of the Hobbit and complaints that it has been made into 3 movies, or turned into an action film.

Actually I don't laugh at all. I am baffled, especially when it comes from RPG fans. So you are getting even more of a fantasy story done incredibly well ... ? Yet you complain... I guess you are right ... it's not as good as that other fantasy movie ... Oh wait, other than LotR (which doesn't count as it is part of the same story) there has been no really awesome fantasy movie. Ever.

I personally really enjoyed the first part and I can't wait to go and see the second part.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
The problem is it's diverting a really good story into something else - a different story. Maybe you like it better, maybe you don't. But it is different. A combat action barrel-riding sequence? I'm not exactly thrilled.

jbear

First Post
Feels like the same story to me. You are entitled to your opinion, as I am mine. That's a given.

But allow me to simply not get all the nay sayers, especially RPG fans.

Rune

Once A Fool
Oh wait, other than LotR (which doesn't count as it is part of the same story) there has been no really awesome fantasy movie. Ever.

Huh. I loved LotR movies and enjoyed the Hobbit movie, but I wouldn't say they were the only really awesome fantasy movies, ever. I wouldn't even call them the most awesome fantasy movies, ever. But maybe you and I have different definitions of "awesome."

jbear

First Post
Okay, D&Desque style fantasy movies i.e not The Last Unicorn/animated movies.

I can think of a few older ones: Willow, Labyrinth, Princess Bride, The Never Ending Story (These are more Fairy Tale fantasy movies but okay ... I misused the word EVER).

But fantasy as in with orcs, dwarves, elves and goblins, warriors, wizards and dragons ... Name another good movie (I'd love to see it ... as I love fantasy, hence why I even frequent these boards (and hence my own bafflement at the criticism)).

Rune

Once A Fool
I'd have to throw the Dark Crystal in there, too, although you might consider that more fairy-tale. And we could probably throw in Haryhousen's works. They're dated, but they're still awesome.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
The LotR and Hobbit movies are adaptations of already popular works among the fanboys and fangirls. These fans have their own conceptions of how the stories look and feel. That's a lot to compete with, for any adaptation. Just look at X-Men fan reactions to the third movie's attempt to cover the Dark Phoenix saga.

jbear

First Post
I didn't like Dark Crystal much (It didn't make my list but I have seen it). And anyone who prefers Harry Hausen's movies to the Hobbit ... well ... not much to say about that.

As for adaptations ... The Last Airbender is a good example of a bad adaptation. The animated series is full of humour which really makes the entire story. In the movie the characters completely lose this dimension. The acting is weak. The movie falls flat long before you look at whether or not the bending looks cool or not.

When I think about the X-men ... I am also a fan of x-men comics and have read more than a few in my time ... and when I think about the movies, again where I feel the movies don't cut it is with the characters. Compare those characters to Iron Man or any of the characters involved in the Avengers. They work because the portrayal of the characters is cool.

The main characters in the Hobbit ... Bilbo: Fantastic ... The Dwarves: Fantastic ... Gollum: Fantastic ...

I am a fan of LotR and the Hobbit and the fantasy genre in general, as I assume are most people here at ENWorld. The character portrayal in the Hobbit so far has been great (from where I am standing), the movie was entertaining and enjoyable ... what is to complain about? I say nothing.

As those who disliked the movie are so vocal, I have decided to be equally vocal in my disagreement.

Last edited:

Remove ads