[Trailer] Torchwood: Miracle Day

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Just finished watching and I loved it. I missed Gwen so much. What a great mom she makes, putting earmuffs on her infant daughter before she starts shooting.

Oh, and the STARZ original I don't take as being "Torchwood is an original idea," as it is "These are original episodes produced by STARZ" (between this and Camelot, the bastards are going to make me keep paying for STARZ after my free time ends...)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Oh, and the STARZ original I don't take as being "Torchwood is an original idea," as it is "These are original episodes produced by STARZ"

That's my point. You took it as being - your words - "produced by STARZ". But it's being produced by BBC Wales. BBC Wales staff and crew and equipment. BBC writers and producers and editors and.... everything. STARZ bought the US distribution rights (and yes, that was a big chunk of the budget). But they didn't produce it and they've given you the impression that they did.

Interestingly, the advertising over here makes no mention of STARZ.

Last edited:

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
That's my point. You took it as being - your words - "produced by STARZ". But it's being produced by BBC Wales. BBC Wales staff and crew and equipment. BBC writers and producers and editors and.... everything. STARZ bought the US distribution rights (and yes, that was a big chunk of the budget). But they didn't produce it and they've given you the impression that they did.

I suppose that is probably the case for most of the STARZ originals. They put up the cash, they take the credit over here.

I suppose the correct way of taking it is, "An original show you will only find on STARZ in the US because we put up cash for it to be produced." Which I suppose is different than Dr. Who when it aired on SciFi (or SyFy) in the US. They had nothing to do with production at all, it happened without them and then they came along and bought the US distribution rights.

In the end I'm just glad I have new Torchwood to watch (although my wife really misses Ianto).

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I liked it. :D

Now, on to the topic of this new coke classic original. I think they are using the term as in "not a knock off." But I bet if we asked the network, six months later a lawyer would give us a 5000+ words on it's meaning.

Looking about...it looks like the term MAY be a BRAND/Logo: "Original Starz" which is a production company arm of Starz Liberty Group...damn, the Wienstiens control 25%! (see Wiki and follow the links).

Last edited:

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
Looking about...it looks like the term MAY be a BRAND/Logo: "Original Starz" which is a production company arm of Starz Liberty Group...damn, the Wienstiens control 25%! (see Wiki and follow the links).
If it is then that is some super slick doubletalk.

Sort of like if someone had a brand called Authentic Platinum, and then started selling watches.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
If it is then that is some super slick doubletalk.

Sort of like if someone had a brand called Authentic Platinum, and then started selling watches.

It's called Starz Original, notice the capital "O" and the comma, created in 2000. In their wording they print it like this; Starz Original, "Torchwood: Miracle Day" or as Starz Original series.

:cool: Who is Number One? You are, Number Nine! :cool:

Villano

First Post

Well, if they are putting money into it, they are helping to produce it. I mean, I think the moneymen on TV shows and movies end up with a "Producer" credit in the final product, don't they?

If that's the case, I have no problem with STARZ taking a credit since they actually had something to do with it. As opposed the the SyFy Channel, which slaps "SyFy Channel Original Movie" on everything it shows.

The funny thing is, I just rewatched something that was taped on the SyFy (then Sci-Fi) Channel back in the 90s and there was a commercial for their original movies. I had totally forgotten that they used to make new, monthly, actually made for the Sci-Fi Channel TV movies.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well, if they are putting money into it, they are helping to produce it. I mean, I think the moneymen on TV shows and movies end up with a "Producer" credit in the final product, don't they?

I don't really want to get into a lengthy debate about it, but the impression the US ads gave to me was that this was made by STARZ. One can argue the sematic meaning of industry terms all day, but I find it unlikely that wasn't the intention.

Fast Learner

First Post
FWIW, despite it not really relating to Torchwood, no, not generally. Most of the time Executive Producers = money, Producer = coordinator of all of the major pieces, putting everything together, from selecting a director and having ultimate casting approval to presenting the budgets and project status to the executive producers, and not uncommonly, finding the executive producers in the first place.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
As an aside, one problem I have with Torchwood (and this ismore me than it) is that the whole time I'm always hoping in the back of my mind that the TARDIS will suddenly materialise. Even though I know perfectly well that it won't.

Remove ads