Traveller T20: Tales of the Bray Keaven [Updated 12-20-05]

Shadowdancer

First Post
Chapter XXIX

Date: 223-993 and 224-993
Location: Aboard the Bray Keaven, in jump space between Aleif and Liar's Oath

Saro and Ian confer a bit about the two dead Vargrs and the tranquilized live one, with Vargas chiming in with his thoughts. Saro feels quite confident about his ability to keep the tranquilized Vargr unconscious through normal anesthesia (as opposed to medical slow drug).

Ian and Swann strip the tranquilized Vargr of his vacc suit, bind him again, wait for Saro to set up a slow anesthetic IV drip, and then move the unconscious Vargr into the port passenger airlock so that he can be interrogated later.

Then Ian and Swann strip the two Vargr bodies and put them back into the cloned organs transport cargo container. With the concealed doors open and the environ-mental controls properly set, the entire chamber should cool to a temperature cold enough to preserve the bodies nicely.

-----​

Aidan knows that specific weapon SMG permits are not all that hard to get in Ley Sector if need can be shown. Being a registered crewmember onboard a registered merchant starship, particularly one with a positive history of interactions with the SPA, should help considerably.

“I’d be happy to file the paperwork,” Aidan tells Vasilii. “With the way things have gone lately, the better armed we are the safer I’ll feel.”

-----​

Kevon and Vargas go with Saro to the improvised sickbay to finally be treated for their new wounds. Saro quickly treats their wounds as best as he can, shaking his head sadly and muttering imprecations on general principle as he goes along.

Saro happily puts Vargas under for 26 hours with medical slow drug. The induced coma is very beneficial to Vargas as his battered body starts healing rapidly.

-----​

With that, the crew finally tries to get back to sleep.

-----​

The next day is spent relatively quietly. Martha, Swann, and Aidan all work on recovering data from the handcomp. Between the three of them, they are able to recover quite a bit of information off the main data store. Some of the data store was damaged in the pounding, but most of the information is intact.

Aidan finds a set of very interesting trojan horses and worms that appear to be optimized for breaking into standard TL9–13 ship computer systems commonly found on smaller merchant vessels. Not all of them are completely intact, but most of them are.

Aidan stores the deadly software and plans to spend his time in jump studying it. He also makes plans to prime the ship’s computer against such attacks, and set up some of the attacks so he can easily launch them against other ships when necessary.

Swann finds an interesting file with only a set of coordinates for the Liar’s Oath system. Checking with Kevon, they determine that the coordinates lie a little over 100 planetary diameters from Liar's Oath and are fairly close to where most ships plot to emerge from jump space when jumping from Aleif to Liar’s Oath.

Martha says, “It might be their rendezvous spot. Even if we can’t get anything from these little wolves, we at least can suspect they’ve got backup there. If they are desperate, we may expect some sort of attack from them before the locals can come to our aid, or before we can make it to the starport or relative safety.”

“It might be interesting to have the local Navy pay a visit to that location. A discreet little cruiser or some such. I’d love to watch,” says Aidan wolfishly.

The rest of the computer files are pretty boring: some games and some e–novel files including a surprising set of Vilani mystery novels and some books on something called “cross–stitch.”

-----​

Saro rides herd on his passel of patients, to make sure they don’t over-exert themselves. And tends to their wounds as well as he can.

After the wall between the sickbay and unused cabin is removed, he also moves his vacc suit, weapons, and personal computer to the “unused cabin” half of the newly expanded space. At night he will sleep here to better respond to Emile if necessary. Both halves of the improvised sickbay feature motorized movable bunk beds that can be independently lowered or raised to be almost flush with the ceiling. If necessary, Saro could put patients in the lower bunks of both while he sleeps in one of the upper bunks.

Between medical ministrations, Saro does some legal research, trying to determine if it is possible to go after the organ shippers on any charges: failing to correctly declare goods being shipped, endangerment to the well–being of sophonts, improper shipping of biological cargo, etc.

He figures that more than likely, the crew will be unable to go after the Vargr intruders’ bosses on charges of attempted murder (eight counts), attempted ship–jacking, attempted piracy, sabotage of life support equipment, etc., so perhaps they can go after the sophonts behind the scenes through round-about means.

Saro also looks into how culpable and vulnerable the crew would be to charges of negligence, etc., if they bring any charges themselves.

He decides that the best charge that could be applied to the crew of the Urroe (who approached Swann about accepting the container as well as loaded it) would be a charge of “attempted piracy of a merchant vessel through disguised cargo,” which carries a long prison term and a hefty fine.

Charges of failure to properly declare goods would technically apply, but would only lead to relatively minor fines. The actual organs were properly declared and packaged.

-----​

After a bit of research, Saro and Aidan both find that psionics training and use are highly illegal. Any facilities or materials that are proven to be part of a psionics institute are subject to seizure. Anyone proven to be practicing psionics is subject to incarceration (at the very least). There is still a significant prejudice — bordering on paranoia — about psionicly trained people.

“Of course, personally my dear lady I hold no such prejudices,” Aidan tells Martha. “And out here in the frontier I rather imagine that we might run into such facilities and such being protected by local governments and quasi–governments. If you feel the need to seek out such for your peace of mind it might be possible to arrange something. Say the word and I’ll see if I can find traces of such.”

-----​

Martha arranges to meet with Swann privately during the day by asking him to come back to port engineering to help her with some maintenance repairs and diagnostic work. As they begin, Martha will chat for a few minutes, then stop what she’s doing and look over at the ex-Belter.

“Swann, I don’t mean to be rude here, but I have a big favor to ask. You’ve helped a number of us out with purchasing guns and such through, um, clandestine hands, so to speak. I have to ask you about purchasing something that's a bit more — dangerous than that.

“Before I go on, do you want me to continue? Or would you rather I didn’t, and we just pretend this didn’t happen?”

Martha looks nervously at that older spacer, trying to read if he’s OK with what she’s asking, or if she’s made a big mistake in even mentioning her need for a black market purchase.

Swann chuckles and says, “After that opening, curiosity alone would make it hard to say ‘No.’ ”

He then smiles and says, “But in answer to your question: go ahead and ask your favor. If I can help you with your purchase, I will; if it’s too dangerous, I’ll tell you. Either way, I’ll keep your secret.”

Martha blushes a little, then continues. “Look, you know about the psion that ‘talked’ to me last time we were at Sentry, right? I’ve been kinda nervous about her since then. Then, when the dream came, and it was true, and all hell broke loose . . . ”

Martha chokes for a second, then clears her throat. “Look, I, I need some protection. You remember on those Third Frontier War holovids, where the spies had those psionic shield helmets or whatever? You know, the things that block the ‘bad guys’ from entering your mind and turning you into a zombie under their control? I, I want one, and I have no idea where to find it.”

Her eyes brimming with tears of frustration, she looks over at Swann. “Do you think you can help me get one?” Her body tenses as she waits for Swann’s reaction.

Swann nods at Martha with a reassuring look on his face. “I thought when you first started your request that a psi-shield might be what you were after. Yeah, I think we can get one for you. But as you said, this is a little more dangerous than trying to buy some black market weapons. So we have to be really careful. And it might take a little time.

“I’d rather wait until after we get back from Shanape. I think our chances will be better in the Cluster, just because that’s where I have some contacts. We want to make sure we don’t get ripped off, and we don’t get turned in.”

Swann pauses briefly, lost in thought. One of the thoughts he has, which he doesn’t share with Martha, is, “I only hope we don’t have to buy the damn thing from the very people she needs the protection from.”

Martha smiles, trying to hide the distressful thought that buying in the Cluster may warn those that have taken an interest in her mind as to her intentions. “If you think it best, sure.”

Swann then looks at Martha, considering. “We might need some help doing this. Do you mind if I approach one or more of the crew to get their help? I won’t if it will make you uncomfortable. And of course I will be as discrete as possible. Also, if you do allow me to approach the others, is there anyone you would prefer I not tell?”

Martha seems very nervous at the prospect. “Um, I’m not sure who you could talk to about it, without them thinking I’m, well, you know,” then dropping her voice to a whisper, “one of THEM.” She reflexively looks around, then back at Swann. “I trust your judgment, but I ask that you keep it to a minimum, if you can.”

Swann looks at Martha again, again considering. He hesitates a moment, then says, “You mentioned earlier that you had a dream and it came true. I hope I’m not being too forward in asking this — and if I am just tell me and I’ll let it drop, no offense taken — but is that the psionic ability the woman told you about back on Sentry? Has that happened to you before, where you have a dream that comes true?”

Martha frowns. “Yeah, it’s happened before. At Aleif. I just didn’t think of it like that. Some other times, too, but I just didn’t know, I never thought . . . ”

She’s quiet for a second, then cocks her head slightly. “Do you think I’m, you know, one of THEM, and I just don’t know it yet?”

Swann’s face turns thoughtful and serious. “Do I think you’re a monster, like the villains in the Third Frontier War holovids? No, you’re not a monster. But I do think you have a gift, a talent that makes you special. It all depends on how you use that talent.

“I’ve been on a quite a few starships over the years, and I can honestly say you have a special gift for working with engines and ship’s systems that goes beyond the talents of most people who have the title of Engineer. You use that talent to do good work. You could just as easily use that talent to work for a corporation or government entity or ideological cause as a saboteur or murderer. But you don’t. My uncle used to tell me ‘It’s not what you have that makes you who you are; it’s how you use what you have.’ And I believe that. You should try to remember that, too.”

Martha is silent for a moment, as Swann’s words seem to touch something within her. The moment passes, and Martha clears her throat. “I’ll try, Swann. I’ll try.”

She looks uncomfortably about her, then reaches for an errant hydrospanner, tucking it away. “Thanks. Umm, so — will you let me know what you find out as you’re looking around?”

“I’ll keep you informed. Now I better go see what ‘improvements’ Aidan is attempting to make to the computer security system.”

-----​

Finally, on the second morning in jump space, the crewmembers — including an awakened Vargas — gather in the lounge for breakfast.

Shadowdancer

First Post
For those interested: I will be taking over as ref for the ongoing, on-line game for the next adventure. Ron Vukpakdi is taking a well-deserved break after keeping the game running for close to three full years. He will be stay active in the game, however, with his Virushi character, Darishun, coming back aboard the Bray Keaven.

I will continue to update the story hour, but the updates may be more spread out, depending on the various demands on my time (I still have to actually work every now and then).

Shadowdancer

First Post
Chapter XXX

Date: 225-993

Vargas will consult with the other crew members on what they have found from the computer and cargo container. He also asks to inspect the cargo container and personal effects of the dead Vargrs and the prisoner. He plans to closely inspect the bodies for any identifying marks that may link them to some particular organization.

After consultation with the other crewmembers, Vargas starts to make a list of questions he plans to ask the prisoner. He also asks everybody else what they would like to know from this individual.

Vargas’ questions:
  • Name of the individual.
    Pack membership.
    Pack leader.
    Who hired the group?
    What cargo they were after?
    Why is this cargo important?

-----​

Ian reads through Vargas’ list of questions. “Looks like you’ve covered it pretty well. I think we also need to ask who is suppose to meet us when we come out of jump; where; and name and type of ship, just to help us to know what to expect.

“I will accompany you during the interrogation of the prisoner.”

Swann says, “I want to be there, too. To help ‘persuade’ him.”

Swann then outlines a strategy for the interrogation. Vargas will ask the questions, with help from Ian, while Swann waits in the background sharpening his blade. Vargas should tell the Vargr that he can either cooperate and answer Vargas’ questions now, or he and Ian will allow Swann to get the answers they want “any way he can.” Vargas should also hint that the Vargr’s companions didn’t cooperate, and they aren’t in very good condition right now.

Marths suggests, “You might want to use the coordinates you got out of the hand-comp if you need to, to imply greater knowledge. But, in general, I just want to know if this was intentionally aimed at us, or if we just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Then I either want to space ’im, or at least drag his head through jump space for a couple of hundred light-seconds, unless he proves to be of some use to us. Pirates deserve whatever they get! Nobody messes with the Bray Keaven.”

-----​

A smile creeps up on the lieutenant commander’s face, recalling a saying from a legend from the Earth-that-Was. “ ‘One man defending his home is stronger than 10 mercenary knights.’ The girl certainly has spunk, I’ll give her that.”

Of all the crew, Kevon has certainly taken a liking to Martha the most; as irreverent as she is sometimes, she would’ve made a great Naval engineer.

-----​

Aidan says to himself, “The lady Martha has some spark. Not that I don’t agree with her!”

Aidan then mentally wanders off dreaming of ways to inject pirate space suit comps with interesting viruses to transfer to home ships. He hopes his evil chuckles to himself don’t distract anyone.

-----​

Martha plans to monitor the interrogation from port engineering via security cameras, and recommends that everyone else wear vacc suits and tether themselves, in case she has to evacuate the air from the airlock in an emergency to shut the corsair down.

During the interrogation, Swann plans to suit up in his vacc suit and be tethered, as Martha suggested. In addition to his blade, he will have his snub pistol with traq rounds in a belt holster and his auto pistol in a shoulder holster. The auto pistol will contain a clip but no ammo. He also will have two backup clips loaded with ammo.

Ian and Vargas also plan to suit up and tether themselves inside the airlock. Doc plans to be there as well to provide needed medical assistance. Kevon will monitor from the bridge, and Vasilii and Aidan from their cabins.

-----​

Given the number of interested crewmembers and the relatively small confines of the port passenger airlock, the crew decides to interrogate the Vargr prisoner in the starboard cargolock.

While the rest of the crew is repositioning cargo, Vargas inspects the clothing and effects of the Vargr stowaways. The only identifying mark is a common patch found on their vacc suits, visible now that the camouflage systems are deactivated, and some clothing. The patch is of some dancing red–, orange–, and black–striped lizard on a purple diamond field.

-----​

After a couple of hours temporarily redistributing the cargo stored in the starboard cargolock elsewhere in the ship, the crewmembers move the Vargr prisoner to the cargolock, end his IV drip, position themselves, and then wait for the prisoner to come out of unconsciousness.

Shadowdancer

First Post
Chapter XXXI

After everything is ready, Saro ends the anesthetic IV drip and injects the Vargr with a syringe of drug designed to counteract the anesthetic and bring a patient to consciousness a bit more quickly. The Vargr awakens relatively quickly and alter-nates between looking confused, defiant, and a little frightened.

A light is rigged to shine into the Vargr’s eyes and he is bound firmly to a chair with Vargas standing over him. Vargas stares at the bound captive for a moment to heighten the feeling of helplessness of the captive. He then dims the lights and leaves the light over the prisoner lit. Vargas maintains a posture over the seated prisoner, looking directly down at him. He addresses the Vargr in Irilitok.

“Well, as you can tell from the bandages on my shoulder, we are all having a very bad hair day. Now, let us look at the facts. First, you and your comrades stowed away on this ship in a clearly marked medical container. This violates the very sanctity of the entire medical profession. This certainly does not sit well with our ship’s medical staff.

“Then you attempted to murder us in our sleep by decompressing the ship. This crew finds that very irritating.

“You then attack us and proceed to shoot two of us, and that is what aggravates me the most. You put a hole in my vacc suit!

“Now, let us take a look at your situation. You are securely bound to a chair that is not bound to the deck, and that door leads to the vacuum of jump space. We, on the other hand, are in vacc suits and are securely tethered to the ship. In short, you are in no position to bargain and you must convince us as to why we should not open the hatch and watch you blow outside. Do I make my assessment of the situation perfectly clear?

“Now here is how it is going down. We will ask you questions and you will give us all the information we ask. If any of us feel that you are not being completely truthful or you start to balk at answering, there are two options. The first is a one–way chair ride into jump space; the other is to allow my associate to vent some of his anger on you with that blade he is sharpening. Your leader is far, far away and we are near. Remember that we will control your fate and you have much more to fear from us then your distant pack leader.

“Now, your companions were less than cooperative and they — well, shall we say they are in less than perfect condition? However, they gave us some information that I will cross check with your answers. As you can tell, I am proficient in your language and will be happy to clarify anything you do not fully understand.”

For the questioning, Vargas changes to Galanglic.

“First, let me introduce myself. I am Emile Vargas, adopted son of Gvourrdon and Racksha. I am Vargr in all but blood. I am a member of the Bray Keaven pack and associated with the Jarvis Nuuis pack.”

-----​

“Drek,” mutters Vasilii, “I thought we were running this mission to end that association, not publicize it.” Then he takes a breath. “Oh well, maybe he has a plan.”

-----​

“Who are you and what pack do you belong to?”

When the Vargr does not answer immediately, Vargas looks over to Swann and simply says, “We can do this with a velvet glove or iron fist. Do you still want to refrain from answering?”

-----​

At the appropriate times throughout the interrogation, Swann tries to look psychotically menacing and threatening, smiling at the Vargr, kissing the blade, talking to it softly, telling it to “be patient — you’ll drink his blood soon enough.”

At one point, Swann walks over to the Vargr and “tests” the blade by shaving some hair off the back of one of the sophont’s ears.

-----​

Watching Swann through the interrogation, Ian thinks to himself, “Man, he’s having too much fun,” as a half smile creeps across his face.

-----​

Martha monitors the situation from port engineering, a little concerned about Swann’s radical shift in behavior.

-----​

Vasilii, monitoring from his stateroom, flips through the Vilani mystery novels quickly. One seems to be a bit of poorly written trash about a Solomani plot to blow up starports while the other three appear to be quite good "whodunit" crime mysteries.

Remembering the Scout from the Brown Bess and his re–activation, Vasilii has a second read over the first one just to make sure he hasn’t happened on an actual Solomani plot. Looking over the novel again, Vasilii feels that, while it is possible that he could read parallels between the novel and various bits of information or evidence that he has seen, doing so will require truly Herculean efforts of conspiracy theory thinking. Not that he hasn’t done so in the not–too–distant past, but trying to transpose the events of the novel to the old Brown Bess Scout getting activated seems a bit much.

Not that there couldn’t be some sort of Solomani plot, though. Just not one that parallels the poorly written novel.

-----​

Kevon listens to the interrogation via the comms, his mind plotting strategies for early exit from jump space and other egress maneuvers to avoid conflict with whoever or whatever is waiting.

-----​

Saro does his best to compile the information and evidence that will be needed to file a complete report with the authorities when the Bray Keaven exits jump space. He wants to be fully prepared to file the report when they turn the Vargr captive and his companions’ bodies over to the (hopefully Imperial) officials.

During the “interview” Saro remains tense and becomes increasingly upset as things proceed. He remains silent while the others alternately question and threaten the Vargr. He decides he will only intercede if the threats are about to become real.

-----​

Between the language used, the visible threat of Swann sharpening his knife, and the fact that everyone but him is vacc–suited and tethered, the Vargr eventually settles into a state of sullen, if slightly defiant, cooperation.

“My name is Thulon, you carrion feeders! I run with the Oeskhoets pack, and the Urroe alone could take your ship without more than a scratch.”

“You claim to be a member of the Oeskhoets pack. Who is the current pack leader?”

“You don’t know that Dzuekskini is pack leader! Hah! You will before the pack rips the flesh off your bones.”

-----​

“Oh great. A zealot,” Swann thinks. “But at least he’s passionate enough to want to talk, to show his ‘superiority.’ ”

-----​

“Does your pack regularly engage in murder and piracy, or is this a special job aimed at this ship and crew?” Vargas asks. “Who hired your group or gave the orders to attack this ship and what cargo did you expect to find? What is so important about this particular cargo?”

“No one hired us! Stealing a prize from Jarvis alone would have been worth the sfik. Stealing one of his associate’s ships and the bay weapon is just the gravy off the steak. Your rust bucket will make an adequate addition to the fleet, and the bay weapon will sharpen Dzuekskini’s fangs considerably.”

-----​

Swann’s attention is immediately peaked by the mention of a bay weapon.

-----​

“Hah! You didn’t know what you were carrying, did you?” Thulon laughs in spite of the situation and then snorts. “Fools. I’ll offer you a simple deal. If you rendezvous with the Urroe and offload me and the bay weapon, we’ll let you go. Kill me, and the pack will hunt you down like the carrion feeders you are.”

-----​

Swann’s mind is racing. “I wonder what sort of bay weapon? And I wonder if we could install it in the time remaining? If his friends are waiting for us when we exit jump, a bay weapon could swing the fight in our favor. And they’d probably never expect it.

“No, it probably wouldn’t work. It’s probably too big to assemble in our cargo bay. And we probably don’t have the power. Unless Martha can make some temporary modifications, ‘borrowing’ power from other, unneeded systems. Hmmmm. I have to talk to Martha about this as soon as we get our of here.”

-----​

Vargas, Swann, and Ian feel that the Vargr is generally telling the truth, though possibly exaggerating at times. Saro isn’t so sure. Martha, monitoring from port engineering, can’t tell if the Vargr is telling the truth or not.

-----​

Vargas keys his comm link and requests any information on the Urroe.

-----​

“Got it Vargas, looking up Urroe.” Aidan dives in looking for Urroe as related to this sector. Aidan also checks some Navy sources on bay weapons small enough to fit into the cargo hold.

-----​

Martha pings Vargas on private comms. “Emile, ask him how he knew we were carrying this bay weapon thing. We didn’t advertise, and no ships came out of jump right after us. We’d only been there less than a day before they were approaching us. How’d they know?”

As Martha speaks, she also begins comparing the cargo’s displacement to known bay weapon configurations in her engineering journals, trying to determine if it truly could be a bay weapon, and if so, what sort it might be.

-----​

Vargas turns back to Thulon. “I remind you that your very continuation of life is totally dependent on your answers. I have a set of jump coordinates — your former associates indicated that this was rather important.”

-----​

Internally Swann winces. “He just let slip that the Vargr’s comrades are dead,” he thinks.

-----​

“Now they informed us that these were rendezvous points and that certain ships were there,” Vargas continues. “I need to know what the exact nature of those ships are and what their call sign is?”

Thulon does not answer. Vargas decides to try a different tack.

“So, you talk of sfik? Do you realize that you and your comrades stand to loose all of your sfik? What will your pack say when they learn that you and your companions were unable to take a ship from a sleeping crew? First, attacking a sleeping enemy is considered dishonorable in many societies, both Vargr and human. Then to be captured by a basically unarmed crew says little of your fighting ability.

“Now, you may ask how anybody will know about what happened on this ship since dead men do not talk? Unfortunately for you, we happen to be alive and I can assure you that the story will be broadcast upon emerging from jump space. So much for sfik.

“You now attempt to save your miserable hide by offering something that you cannot and probably will not produce. What in the name of sweet reason makes you think that we would trust you in any circumstance, let alone emerging from jump space into a nest of your pirate friends?”

In order to emphasize the next statement, Vargas requests that Martha lower the pressure in the cargolock enough to be uncomfortable, then return it to normal. After she does, Vargas then assumes a position of dominance over the captive and continues.

“Thulon, we need to discuss your immediate future. One of the crew would like to just space you. I, on the other hand, would like to put you in a vacc suit with a couple of hours of air and then dump you into jump space. I have been told that that would be uncivilized. Now, you need to give us some reason to keep you alive.

“You seem to place great store by the Urroe. Has it occurred to you that we would fight to the death in the defense of this ship including ramming the Urroe and destroying both vessels? That act would probably kill a lot of sophants and result in some probable reprisals against your kin.

“Now, maybe we can come to some reasonable solution to a fight upon our exit from jump space and our safe passage into the system. I suggest that you change your attitude very quickly or Swann may have to change it for you. Remember — your friends would not cooperate.”

Thulon listens to Vargas’ tirade and his brown eyes frequently dart towards Swann. He valiantly tries to keep his ears forward and a snarl on his face, but his ears keep on pointing back, flat against his skull. Eventually he snarls, “I’ve given enough reason for you to keep me alive. Your own miserable lives and the safety of your ship just for giving up a cargo that isn’t yours anyway. If you’re going to space me, space me. You probably have killed my packmates anyway, and I don’t see you letting me live. So, if you’re going to do something, do it and live with my packmates sucking the marrow from your bones. If not, agree to hand over the cargo and me, and you’ll live.”

“Ok Thulon, you do not appear to respond to reason, and I can see where you have the same trust in us as we have in you. I guess we will have to resort to Swann’s method of acquiring information. If you really want to be spaced, then so be.”

Vargas starts to turn from the captive, then stops. A wicked expression forms on his face. “Wait a minute. No, you will not be spaced. I just thought of the sfik that we will acquire with Jarvis if we deliver both his cargo and YOU into his hands. Swann, time to go to work. I still need the passwords and the details of a possible ambush.”

Vargas then turns away from Thulon and says, “He had such a nice fur coat.”

Swann’s smile becomes beatific as he brings his blade up close to his face. He then licks the flat of the blade. “It’s time, precious,” he whispers.

Thulon’s eye bulge a little as he becomes more fixated on the obviously psychotic Swann. “You mangy idiot! There are no frellin’ passwords and no ambush because you’re supposed to be dead. You’d know that if you talked to Leilfrsic and Vuhras! I’m a frellin’ gunner, you motherless, hairless cur! You killed the wrong Vargr!”

“Well, Thulon, you can be reasonable,” Vargas says. “I may actually believe you. As you can guess, Leilfrsic and Vuhras were not very cooperative. Now answer this question: How is it you know what we carry and who we are carrying it for?”

-----​

“Hmm, I’d say this lot have a spy in Jarvis’ camp,” thinks Vasilii.

-----​

Vargas has been watching Thulon’s body language closely throughout the interview to determine the Vargr's veracity. He can see the look of fear in the captive. He thinks to himself, “I remember an old oriental proverb from ancient Terra that sometimes a strong enemy may become a stronger friend. Only the future can tell.”

Vargas keys his comm and asks, “Any more questions before we put our little furry captive back into lala land, and can we get any information on those two names he gave us?”

Swann pretends to be disappointed that he doesn’t get to cut on the Vargr.

-----​

“Anything you can get on what’s waiting when we come out of jump,” Vasilii suggests. “Is there a welcoming committee or were the hijackers meant to fly the ship in? If there is someone waiting, what their procedure would be, and what sort of ship are they in?”

“A bay weapon,” he thinks. “We are so screwed.”

-----​

Vargas keys his comm and says, “Good thinking, Vasilii.” He then directs his attention to the captive Vargr. “Thulon, what exactly was your plan? Were you to have a group board upon emergence or was your group to fly the ship to a predetermined point, and what are your procedures if you are to do the flying?”

Vargas continues to ask his questions, and Swann does his best to look disappointed at not being able to have fun. After a few moments, Thulon’s eyes narrow sharply, and his ears prick forward. Suddenly, the captured Vargr laughs. “Hah! You don’t bloody know a thing! You witless mongrels killed Leilfrsic and Vuhras, probably in the fight, and you don’t even have a scrap to gnaw upon!

“Go ahead. If you want to play the cowardly cur who is only strong enough to cut a bound wolf, go ahead. But, I think not. You’ll do nothing now.

“If you want to live after we arrive at Liar’s Oath, you’ll surrender to me. We’ll just take the bay weapon and leave your raggedy rust bucket.”

-----​

In port engineering, Martha checks what little she has on bay weapons in her files. It looks like there could be a number of bay weapons that would fit in the cargo hold. Bay weapons normally come in 50 dTon and 100 dTon displacements, so a 50 dTon bay weapon would fit in among the cargo. There may be some loss of volume efficiency, so perhaps a dismantled 50 dTon bay weapon would take up more that 50dTons if in shipping containers.

Martha does know that the Bray Keaven certainly couldn’t mount a 50dTon bay weapon, at least without major structural reinforcement. Even then, the Bray Keaven’s power plant would strain to just begin to warm up any sort of energy bay weapon, much less have enough power to fire the thing — about an order of magnitude more power would be required.

-----​

While monitoring from his stateroom, Aidan checks for information on the Urroe. He doesn’t come up with anything in the ship’s files, but that’s not too surprising since the ship doesn’t have anything like a listing of registered starships in the sector. Aidan also doesn’t have access to any criminal records.

However, given his previous experience with the family business, Aidan does know a bit about bay weapons. He knows that there are a number of 50 dTon sized bay weapons that would fit into the cargo hold: missile, particle accelerator, repulsor, plasma, fusion, and even the top-secret meson gun bay weapons.

Aidan also knows that bay weapons normally prohibited for installation on private or corporate vessels. Local governments may have them, but individuals, corporations, and even most StarMerc units are not allowed to possess them. The Imperial Navy doesn’t want internal competition.

-----​

Vargas listens to Thulon’s new–found courage and simply says, “At least you were partially right in that we did not know much. However, we now know a great deal thanks to you.”

Vargas then turns to Swann and says, “Swann, I am sorry to disappoint you but I don’t think our little captive will have much more to say. Besides, I want him in good shape when we turn him over to Jarvis’ pack.”

He then turns to Saro. “He is all yours, Doctor.”

-----​

Saro sedates the Vargr again, starts an IV drip, and moves him into the improvised sickbay. Ian helps Saro move the prisoner and makes sure he is secure.

Ian and Swann then restore the cargo that was in the port cargolock. “Damn, move it out, move it in, put it here, put it there. You’d think we was in the Marines or something!” Ian says with a chuckle.

-----​

Early in the afternoon, Kevon, Vasilii, Aidan, and Martha inspect what they can of the cargo. Most of the cargo is packed tightly enough that the containers are effectively inaccessible without moving other containers — and there is no room for that. However, at least part of the containers adjacent to the three cargolocks can be inspected.

Most of the containers that can be at least partly inspected don’t really yield any clues. The contents do appear to be non-mechanical in nature (like feed tubes and such), so the general opinion is that the bay weapon probably isn’t a missile bay, but then again all of the containers that were inspected just might happen to contain non-mechanical systems.

One container is of particular interest to Kevon and Martha. This container appears to contain generators for part of a magnetic bottle, but they can’t be sure.

Unfortunately, there isn’t a container that appears to be labeled “Bay Weapon Assembly Instructions, ACME Corporation.”

Morte

Explorer
Shadowdancer said:
Chapter XXXI

Remembering the Scout from the Brown Bess and his re–activation, Vasilii has a second read over the first one just to make sure he hasn’t happened on an actual Solomani plot. Looking over the novel again, Vasilii feels that, while it is possible that he could read parallels between the novel and various bits of information or evidence that he has seen, doing so will require truly Herculean efforts of conspiracy theory thinking. Not that he hasn’t done so in the not–too–distant past, but trying to transpose the events of the novel to the old Brown Bess Scout getting activated seems a bit much.

Not that there couldn’t be some sort of Solomani plot, though. Just not one that parallels the poorly written novel.

Of course, Ron house ruled in critical failures on ability/skill checks for this PBEM. And Vasilii rolled a 1 there...

* Ominous, spooky music *

Shadowdancer

First Post
Chapter XXXII

At the first crew meal following the interrogation and cargo search, Swann says to the others. “Well, we had our prisoner going there for awhile, until he caught onto our plan. But I think he did give us some useful information.”

“But do we admit to knowing it?” Vasilii asks.

“If we knowingly carry a bay weapon, and deliver it to a non-starport rendezvous on Shanape, then I really don’t think ‘But we had papers from the starport director at Kerin’s Tyr’ is a cast iron get-out.

“I can’t say I really want to hand a military weapon to the sort of sophs that thug Jarvis associates with, either. I mean, imagine Commander Holland’s old friends, or Mr. Silver’s sister, in some 400-dTon patrol cruiser with turrets, when they run into a 50 dTon bay weapon. Imagine all the other merchants who might get robbed with this thing — it could end up in the Raidermarch, or the Szylin Republic!”

He turns reflective for a moment. “Mind you, we did agree to a verbal contract. I hate to break that.”

“If no one is waiting for us when we emerge from jump, I say we run to Liar’s Oath at full speed,” Swann says. “We have to refuel there anyway.”

“Yes, indeed,” Vasilii says. “I think the first question is do we broadcast a request for an official escort on the way in, saying we’ve had an attack by pirates, if it looks like a warship might be available?”

“I really expect to find a ‘welcoming committee’ once we emerge from jump,” Ian says.

“Yeah, we should plan for the worst,” Swann says. “That’s how our luck’s been running.”

Swann pauses briefly, to steel himself for what he is going to suggest next. “Liar’s Oath is run by the local military, if I remember correctly. I say we turn our prisoner over to them, along with the spoiled organs and the info we have on the Urroe, Dzuekskini, and the Oeskhoets pack.”

Vasilii pulls a face. “That Vargr can tell them we know we’ve got a bay weapon.”

Glancing at Saro, Ian says, “I know it rubs a few of us the wrong way, but as Martha pointed out a few days ago, we are well within our rights to do anything to the hijackers we see fit. What’s the old Terran saying: ‘Dead men don’t talk.’

“If we feel our butts are gonna get in a sling from that mangy SOB's loose talk, then I would rather see him silenced.”

“That would be my first choice,” Swann says. “I just wasn’t sure how the idea would be received.”

He pauses again, parts of him still at war with each other over even suggesting cooperating with the authorities. “Then we see about hiring an armed escort back out to the jump point, and bill Shanape Bulk Freighting for it when we deliver Jarvis’ ‘starship equipment’ to Urriav.”

Vasilii emits a bitter snort/laugh. “Oh, I think this deal will carry an implicit ‘taking care of contingencies as they occur’ clause. Well, on the top of the hundred thousand or so it’s going to cost us to do this run and disentangle ourselves from Jarvis, a bit more won’t hurt.”

He shrugs like it hurts already, and rubs his chin. “I think they do run a fair amount of starmerc business here, it props their wretched command economy up, but it’s more Army than Navy. I don’t know if one could hire something on the SDB scale.”

“As a duly authorized, uniformed Imperial representative, I think I’m in my rights to have broken the inspection seal. Especially considering the circumstances,” Kevon finally says.

“I think that might fly, if we can say ‘there was a pirate attack in jump space, we were checking for more in the rest of the cargo,’ ” Vasilii says.

“We take this information and cargo to the local authorities, with the weight of Imperial law on our side,” Kevon says. “The only other alternative is to space the Vargr and the bay weapon, and let Mr. Vargas explain the loss to his pack leader.”

Ian’s jaws clench up a moment. “Dammit! The whole point of this trip is to get ourselves untangled from Jarvis, not make it worse! I don’t know about the rest of the crew, but I have no delusions that the cargo we are carrying is nice and legal. Unfortunately, now we know for certain it is not. I just want to deliver this load and regain a bit of freedom so we can hopefully choose our own destinations in the future.

“Vasilii, is it possible to fix the seals on those containers to appear unopened? I would prefer to try and control my own destiny, rather than throw it out to some ‘local authority’ of a backwater planet.”

“Hmm, I believe it’s not the easiest thing.” Vasilii raises an eyebrow at Swann, and then another at Aidan.

-----​

Swann easily (perhaps too easily, by Kevon’s opinion), can provide the opinion that with appropriate equipment (specialized printer and, more importantly, foil impregnated “papers”), it would not be too hard to do. With the equipment onboard, it would be extremely hard since they don’t have the right equipment and source materials. After all, the seals are Imperial SPA Customs seals.

-----​

“Well, how about this then. Maybe,” Ian pauses for dramatic effect, “when we got done ‘dealing’ with the pirates, we found the containers already opened. Could be that the pirates wanted to verify the cargo before proceeding with their plan? Sounds plausible to me.”

“Well, I’ve heard worse,” Vasilii says. “Normally from used air/raft dealers, mind you.

“It would hinge on the inability of one mangy Vargr not spilling his guts, though.” Vasilii ends with a frown and a look of feigned thought.

“Didn’t you mention that the law gives merchant crews considerable, leeway, in dealing with pirates, Miss Smythe? Is anybody up to speed on that?” He looks around the table, and wracks his own brains.

-----​

Both Saro and Aidan know that, while merchant crews do have a wide degree of latitude to defend themselves against pirates, merchant crews do not have the authority to summarily punish any pirates they capture. Captured pirates are expected to be turned over to the nearest authorities (Imperial or local) for trial and punishment. Any merchant claiming that pirates attacked him is also required to turn over evidence to support the claim. In some regions, the percentage of pirates who end up being killed in the attempt of piracy instead of being captured is quite high (only partly due to the fact punishments for piracy are severe).

-----​

When others suggest spacing the Vargr, Saro objects strenuously. He notes that in his unconscious state the Vargr is not a high threat and that while actions taken in defense or during grave threats are of one nature, spacing, torturing, etc., a helpless sophont is quite another — murder, actually.

Saro advances the opinion that given how often the crew has escaped from legal infractions in the past using duplicitous means, the odds are rapidly piling up against them at further successes in ‘smokescreening’ their way out of tight situations. So, perhaps in this case, when going to the authorities (Imperial, preferably) with their captive, they should be as honest and forthcoming as possible about their current situation and status.

-----​

“Doctor Talbek, we either ‘lose’ these hijackers somehow, or we go tell the authorities about them and hope we’re lucky enough not to get our hold inspected,” Vasilii says. “If our hold’s inspected, I think we’re pretty much dead, either courtesy of the Imperium for smuggling weapons or a Vargr crimelord for telling the authorities about it.

“Myself, I’d rather take my chances running for the hills, on or off the Bray Keaven, with or without the rest of you.

“So, I think we need either a way to avoid close questioning or a way to ‘lose’ the three hijackers that you can stomach. Nothing else will do.

“Tell me, how do you feel about sedating him, sticking him in the smuggling hold, putting him in a low berth after we leave Liar’s Oath, and releasing him with a memory wipe on the edge of some backwoods village down the line? Preferably on Aleif, or better still Miip?

“Can you do that? Will you do that? I’ve no doubt it’s contrary to your ethics, but then so is killing him. And if you insist on us going to the authorities, then I feel that’s pretty much tantamount to killing the rest of us.

“That’s unless somebody can come up with a better way to approach the authorities than we have at the moment? Something beyond ‘turn up and hope everyone — official and criminal — smiles and lets us off.’ ”

-----​

Saro has read that a memory wipe and implantation, while often the stuff of bad holovids, is only theoretically possible. He has heard rumors of Imperial research stations that have done such procedures as well as certain unscrupulous psionics institutes have done the procedures for a fee. Of course, everyone knows the Zhodani do such things regularly.

-----​

“Isn’t there a Terran expression about the devil and the deep blue sea that fits here?” Vasilii says. “Something about being trapped between one and the other?” He looks around the table for confirmation.

With a wry grin, Ian says, “Yes, I believe there is.”

Vasilii says, “We go along to whichever authorities are available, and say ‘Excuse us, but we seem to be carrying a bay weapon to a bunch of dubious sophs but, um, yes it’s a mistake, honest.’ And they either arrest us or pat us on the back, accord-ing to luck and finesse. And then we have friend Jarvis put a price on our heads, or he just send his minions to do the job. Time to run for the border, in a J2 ship that can’t scoop fuel.”

“Can’t say I care for that scenario,” Ian says.

“Are there any Imperial Navy at Liar’s Oath anyhow, or is it all local forces?” Vasilii asks, but doesn’t wait for an answer. “Or we deal with this Vargr. And then we deal with any more pirates at Liar’s Oath, or even Shanape. And we make our delivery, and we’re disentangled from Jarvis. And we hope none of it attracts official attention, or if it does they don’t look at our cargo. And if they do look, and ask why we broke the seals, it was because we detected another bomb in the cargo bay and we ‘put it out the airlock in jump space again. But we’ve no idea what the cargo is, oh no not at all.’ ”

“That’s the one that gets my vote,” Ian says, smiling.

Vasilii gazes at the ceiling for a moment. “Lovely choice.”

Vasilii then looks at Kevon across the table. “I don’t suppose you have any friends in Imperial Naval Intelligence who’d like to persuade us to deliver a bugged and booby-trapped bay weapon to Shanape? Then maybe give us all biosculpting and a change of identities? Maybe I’ll open a little corner shop in the Galian Federation and sell model starships.”

He sighs, leans back. “Well, the last time something like this happened, I must say our lives would have been a lot simpler if we’d just announced the contents of our fuel purifiers to the Navy at the first opportunity.”

Ian, as if quietly speaking his thoughts, says, “Ain’t that the truth.” And shakes his head.

-----​

Vargas listens via the ship’s comm to the conversation through the haze of residual pain and the effects of Saro’s treatment. “As has been stated, we are between the rock and the hammer. Now, let’s evaluate our situation. As I see it these are the facts:

“Kevon’s inspection neither confirmed nor denied the presence of a bay weapon. However, he did break the seals. With those broken seals, our paperwork from the starport is worthless. I suspect that some glory hungry junior administrator will be happy to nail another ship full of smugglers. That individual gets credit, we get a long term in prison.

“If we double cross Jarvis, well I for one will be in a great deal of trouble and he probably will be greatly displeased with the others. I am not sure how far his influence extends, but I really don’t want to find out. It has already been pointed out that he may put quite a price on our heads.

“We have already killed a pair of the pirates and I am sure that pack will not be happy with us. In addition, we have one of their members alive and they will probably want him back.

“Now, let’s evaluate what would be in the best interest of this ship and crew. The most important treasure we have is our good reputation. We are known as a crew that gets the job done regardless of the cost. If we dump this cargo or turn it over to the local authorities, we have violated our contract with a major conglomerate. The incident of the cubes was a fairly black mark on our record; do we want to add another? If we continue to fail in our obligations, we will soon have no shipper using our services.

“We do have to be concerned with the effects of our actions with the local authorities. We cannot burn the candle at both ends and not eventually get burned.

“As far as dealing with a group that sends a crew aboard to kill us in our sleep, their word is worthless. I think that dealing with them is the same as signing our own death warrants.

“I put these thoughts out for the consideration of the crew; it is really up to the crew to make a choice. Whatever path we take is certainly going to be fraught with danger, but I believe that we go where fools fear to tread.

“I wish to state that I am absolutely against spacing either the cargo or our prisoner. I will not be a party to the cold–blooded murder of another sophont even if that sophont tried to kill me. I can see no reason to lower myself to the level of a pirate. I also vote that we carry out our contracted agreement with Jarvis. We accepted the shipment, now we are bound to deliver it. I do not want another cube incident on our record.”

“Actually, Mr. Vargas, I have the weight of Imperial authority behind my statements,” the lieutenant commander says. “Given my position, I have the right, and the responsibility, to break a seal and inspect cargo if I feel that the material inside poses a danger to the ship and crew.”

Kevon pauses, reminded of his failure with Holly. “However, you are correct that we should, at least, honor the agreement with your pack master,” he adds, pausing again slightly. “But I’m sure as hell not going through this again.

“Since I’ve come aboard, we’ve had everyone run off on their own ideas seemingly at every occasion, six different directions at times,” he continues. “It’s nearly gotten us all killed at least once – Vargas two or three times. There’s no central authority to keep the different tangents in check.

“I know that I’m just the hired help, and you all are part owners – but I think that fact hurts us as a crew. We lack a central authority that prevents individual inter-ests from compromising the safety and security of the ship, and our luck, such as it is, will only hold out for so long.”

The young officer lets the words sink in briefly. “I have served 12 years in the Imperial Navy, and achieved the rank of lieutenant commander. I have spent four years as a department head and third-in-command of a strike cruiser, and have been decorated in combat. My command ability is well–documented.

“You brought me aboard to replace my cousin, Marcus Argent. But it feels like I’m only the commander of the bridge, and only when it’s urgent,” Kevon intones. “What this ship needs is a captain with the authority to make binding decisions. And, by authority, I mean true authority that can not be overrode for issues of safety and security of the ship. We can draw up a charter to define the captain’s role, but something needs to be done to curb the chaos that’s enveloped the for-tunes of this ship and crew.”

Vasilii ponders this for a while. He shoots Kevon a “Why the hell did you raise this now?” look, then speaks.

“You are of course ‘Captain’ of this ship in the Merchant Law sense of the term, since you are legally responsible for its actions in the first instance. I know I used to hurtle off into the wild blue yonder, but nowadays in an emergency I treat you as ‘Master and Commander’ — to use the Navy term — and simply follow your orders. The rest of the time, this is a commercial merchant ship and its policies are under the direction of the owners. The Captain does not control it himself, any more than the ‘Captain’ of a warship overrides broad orders set by admirals and general staff.

“I agree that we should make sure the owners and crew do what the Master and Commander says in future emergencies. But right now I would very much rather we settle the matter of the prisoner, and the cargo, and what we do at Kerin’s Tyr. Frankly, nobody has any enforceable authority in this. We’re not going to stick people in the brig for disagreeing, here. It’s simply in our urgent interest to agree on a viable course of action and stick to it.”

“Captain, you have a valid point concerning the different tangents causing danger to this ship,” Vargas says. “However, there are several points that must be made.

“The first of these points is that this is a civilian merchant ship, not a ship of the line. While you have experience in commanding military, what is your civilian experience, and do you have your ship's master’s papers?

“The second point is that this ship operates for profit and we cannot expect the citizens of the Imperium to bail us out with tax dollars if we get into financial trouble. Are you prepared to make choices involving the cargo and destinations that will yield maximum profit?

“You have mentioned several times that you are a uniformed representative of the Imperium. If and when our travels happen to run against the best interests of the Imperium, where will your loyalties lie?

“Lastly, I want to know if you are going to place the safety of this ship or your own personal glory first. I ask this because in our last scrape, after being reminded of your duty, you left the bridge of your ship taking several key crewmen when there were possible hostile ships nearby.

“Captain, I will be the first to give you the absolute authority that you request, but I want your assurances that you are going to place this ship, and not your personal goals, first.”

“I may not have it at the moment, Mr. Vargas, but my record stands for itself; I certainly qualify for a civilian master’s license by the virtue of my naval experience and skill,” Kevon counters, his voice gaining a slight crispness to it. “I’m a more–than–qualified bridge officer, recruiter and administrator — you’re more than welcome to view my personnel record again, if you like.

“So, a captain of a merchant vessel must know everything about profit and loss, as well as his bridge duties? Should he be a fully qualified engineer, and also the cargo master and sole negotiator? Or, like any good leader, should he trust in the skill and knowledge of the specialists of his crew, using the information he gets from them to make the decision that is in the best interest of the ship and crew?” the lieutenant commander continues. “If you insist on the former, you’ll be searching for a captain for the rest of your life.

“I can’t be sure I’d want to remain with a crew that intentionally places itself against the Empire,” Kevon says. “If we unintentionally end up on the pointy end of an Imperial spear, then I hope my status as a current naval officer will be a benefit to our crew. I shouldn’t be forced to choose between loyalties.”

The young officer pauses briefly before continuing. “So, you think my actions were more egregious than, say, an open challenge of honor, in a fight that you knew you couldn’t win, and eventually placing us in the situation we now find ourselves in? For what, the chance that you might have wounded Jarvis enough to make it easier for Mr. McConnell to defeat him?

“And for your information, Mister Vargas, you may ‘think’ you were ‘reminding me of my duty,’ ” Kevon challenges, “but I had already weighed several options by the time you spoke. I am the better pilot, and I knew that our best chance of getting the Donovan off the collision course was with me there.

“And if you think I was off ‘chasing glory,’ then you know nothing of me, Mister Vargas.”

-----​

Swann listens to the other discussion and suggestions for quite some time, biting back several comments and retorts. But as Vargas and Kevon get into an ethics argument, he can restrain himself no longer. He suddenly rises to his feet and says in a loud, firm voice. “OK, that’s enough from both of you. You can compare halo sizes later. Right now we have to decide what to do about this problem that puts all of us in very real danger of losing our lives, or being in prison for a very long time.

“Some of us have a problem with just killing our prisoner and saying nothing. Others of us have a problem with just going to the authorities and turning everything over to them, which will do nothing to solve our problem with Jarvis. So we’re going to have to come to a compromise we can all live with. I see two choices that might fit that bill.”

Vasilii nods.

“First option: We say nothing to the authorities on Liar’s Oath. We make Thulon a popsicle so he can’t talk. We refuel and get to Shanape. We make our delivery, along with a bonus of Thulon, his two dead friends, and the information about their pack. And let Jarvis and his pack deal with it. That also will put Jarvis in our debt, which might be useful in the future, if just to get some of the pirates in the cluster to leave us alone.

“Second option: We drug Thulon so he won’t wake up for quite a while, just like we did with the surviving pirates from the Oser. We tell the authorities a modified version of the truth — we woke up, they were trying to take over the ship. We don’t say anything about any specific cargo they were after. If the authorities search the cargo hold and find the open seals, we claim ignorance. We even suggest, as Ian said, that the pirates were the ones who broke the seals in search of something. If the authorities search the boxes, we claim ignorance about the contents. We were just contracted to deliver it, the Port Authority representative at Kerin’s Tyr assured us everything was legal, yadda, yadda, yadda.

“If Thulon wakes up before we can refuel and get out of port, and he opens his yap, it’s his word against ours. He’s a pirate. We’re just honest, hard-working merchants. We’re the good guys. Hell, we’re frellin’ heroes of the Imperium. And we’ve got Capt. Dudley Frellin’ Doright of the Good Ship Lollipop,” Swann says while gesturing at Kevon, sarcasm seeping into his voice, “as our poster boy. We have the Marquis back on Sentry as a character witness. We have a good shot at getting out of this, but only if we stick together and don’t turn on one another.

“There’s another old Terran saying: ‘In for a penny, in for a pound.’ We’ve all had to do some things since coming aboard this ship that we might not be proud of. Some of it was for profit, some of it was for the ‘greater good.’ Well this isn’t for profit, and it isn’t for the greater good. It’s for us. We may have to do some things that might sully our personal sense of honor or tarnish our halos, but I feel we are obligated to do it — for ourselves, and for each other. We’ve come this far. It’s a little late to be pointing fingers and pulling out now.

“Of course, all of this will be moot if Thulon’s friends are waiting for us in force when we come out of jump space. So let’s decide our course of action, then start getting ready.”

“Swann, well put,” Ian says. “And yes, we need to stick together and not let any infighting and disagreements get in the way of ship and crew safety. I would be agreeable to either of the two courses of action you have outlined. I think we need to try and deliver our cargo as contracted.”

Vasilii says, “I could accept either of those. Personally, I’d prefer a combination. We drug Thulon and put him in the smuggling bay rather than a low berth, since the low berths are (a) currently full and (b) available for inspection. Then we offload him later. And it’s about time those smuggling bays did something for us, instead of causing us trouble. Then we report the pirate attack at Liar’s Oath, and show them two bodies, and make sure nothing — like a suspicious extra vacc suit — points to a third hijacker.

“And, as you say, we get ready for a hot welcome when we come out of jump.”

Aidan looks up from his computer (where he’s working on the necessary legal briefs in case the ship and crew runs into the Imperials). “Swann, I like your first option very much. Favors are much to be valued out here on the frontier. Yes, the government is around, but tenuously — we operate largely on our own recognizance. And also as such, I’d dislike not meeting the obligations to Jarvis. Losing his favor could be equally dangerous.

“So let's come out of jump looking for trouble. It seems to follow us. If we run into the Imperials, we’ll deal with that, they’re not likely to be firing at us anyway. And I’ll work on tying them up into legal knots.

“Speaking of legal knots. I’d like to offer my services to addend the ship’s charter with the appropriate position for the Captain, or Master, or whatever the position is to be. It should be decided, but let’s do it after we survive this.”

“Vasilii, I like your combination plan,” Ian says. “Let’s do it. Admit to only two hijackers, hide the live one in the fuel processor area. They are responsible for the broken cargo seals. Everyone agreed? Let’s do it.”

“That plan works for me,” Swann says. “I suggest Vasilii and I be the ones who talk to the authorities, at least at first. I’m guessing we’ve probably had the most experience in these sorts of situations.

“Ian, as head of security, you should probably be there as well.”

“For what it’s worth, this employee agrees that we should just conduct our business and allow the Vargr to deal with the Vargr,” Kevon answers, the edge still prominent in his voice. “I’d rather we just turn those fur balls and the illegal cargo over to the authorities, but we need to get ourselves extricated from Vargr affairs, and quickly.”

The lieutenant commander gets up and hobbles toward the door. “Man, you people don’t make things easy.”

-----​

The subject of the attempted hijackers’ weapons comes up. Swann suggests they be placed in the ship’s locker for use by whoever needs one of the snub SMGs.

“Mr. Hellinic, I really want to keep one of the weapons in my cabin or about my person,” Vasilii says. “I’ll put it in the locker or hand it to one of the military types whenever there’s an official inspection, at least until I can get a proper license.

“Hopefully Mr. Silver can help me with that. And I’ll buy another one, with one of those dot pointer things and some exploding ammunition, when it’s all regularized. Or perhaps somebody with a Class 3 permit can buy it for me.”

He looks pained, then continues. “I wish I hadn’t thrown those HEAP magazines away now.

“But with hijackers popping out of cargo crates in jump space in the middle of the night, I don’t think the locker is good enough any more. I mean, how do we know that there aren’t more of them in the cargo bay, tunneling their way through the cargo to get at us?”

His eyes look a little wild, and his blood is clearly up.

Last edited:

Remove ads