• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Traveller?

I used Mongoose Traveller to run a homebrew SF game for a couple years, and it was great. Some of the most streamlined, competent SF rules around, especially if you mostly avoid ship combat and stick to a few adjacent tech levels.

Edit: I forgot, I also used a very weird ancient Rome supplement for Classic Traveller to generate a super old NPC. Took some tweaking here and there but it was really useful, and a good example of how easy it is to integrate basically any Traveller material into any other version.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
I ran a ten-year-long (at least) campaign of Traveller Hero. It was fantastic, lots of cool things that happened, most of them due to the shenanigans of the players. I posted about it on the Citizens of the Imperium forums here: General - Secrets of the Ancients Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is a Classic Traveller campaign, in which I've used a large number of CT scenarios. [snip]

A recurring foe in the campaign has been a villain named Adam Black. He's shown up under a number of assumed names and identities, generally in cloned bodies. They have come to realize that he is far from a simple crimelord, and that his machinations and conspiracies seem to have some unknown goal. They originally suspected him of being a Zhodani plant, but after a number of encounters have dismissed that possibility.

The AB clones seem to all have a minor psionic ability to communicate mentally with each other when in orbit. AB apparently has minions who also make extensive use of clones; one of them is a usually-cybernetically-enhanced woman with excellent combat abilities, while another is a guy who seems to have cyberpathic abilities (the ability to read and control the "thoughts" of computers). [snip]

I've used the following CT elements in my campaign:
  • Adventure 1-The Kinunir, by Marc Miller (1979)
  • Adventure 2-Research Station Gamma, by Marc Miller (1980)
  • Adventure 3-Twilight's Peak, by Marc Miller (1980)
  • Adventure 6-Expedition to Zhodane, by Marc Miller (1981)
  • Adventure 11-Murder on Arcturus Station, by J. Andrew Keith (1983)
  • Boxed Adventure-Tarsus, by Marc W Miller and Loren K. Wiseman (1983)
  • Double Adventure 1-Shadows, by GDW (1980)
  • Double Adventure 1-Annic Nova, by GDW (1980)
  • Double Adventure 2-Mission on Mithril, by Marc Miller (1980)
  • Double Adventure 2-Across the Bright Face, by Marc Miller (1980)
  • The Traveller Adventure Patron Encounter-Moving Day
  • The Traveller Adventure Exotic Encounter-Charter to Cratersea (highly variant)
  • The Traveller Book-Exit Visa (half of my campaign opener)
  • 76 Patrons 2-6 Players-6 Noble (the other half of my campaign opener)
  • 76 Patrons 2-6 Players-13 Courier
  • 76 Patrons 5-12 Players-19 Clerk (with four-armed screaming poo-flinging man-sized howler monkeys - it was glorious!)
  • 76 Patrons 5-12 Players-20 Peasant, Clerk
  • 76 Patrons 5-12 Players-34 Noble
  • 76 Patrons 9 or more Players-43 Smuggler, Speculator
  • JTAS #01 Amber Zone-Rescue On Ruie
  • JTAS #05 Amber Zone-Foodrunner
  • JTAS #13 Amber Zone-Lockbox
  • White Dwarf #57-Skyrig
  • Traveller's Digest #09 Grand Tour-Shoot-Out at Shudusham, by Gary L. Thomas
  • FASA A2 Action Aboard-Adventures on the King Richard

EDIT: And more information here on RPG.net: [Traveller] Secret Of The Ancients vs Secrets Of The Ancients

When I ran the Secret of the Ancients in my Traveller Hero game, I decided it made more sense to use Frederick Pohl's basic idea in the Gateway novel series. The progenitor species in that series, the Heechee, have fled the normal universe into the event horizon of black holes -- they have some UltraTech device which lets them "crack open" the event horizon from either side to go in or come out. But they're hiding in the black holes because of the Assassins -- even more primordial progenitor aliens.

Basically, the physics model Pohl was familiar with at the time said that the constants of the universe (the speed of light, etc.) weren't fixed until a few moments after the Big Bang. In the Gateway setting, in the initial infinitesimal fractions of an instant "after" the Big Bang, energy beings came into existence, beings that live incredibly faster than any lifeform based on matter. When the universal constants, er, "solidified," they were unhappy to discover the universe was going to be a matter-heavy universe; they find matter painful, and would have preferred an energy-heavy universe. So, they have been monkeying with physics and the laws of the Universe since the beginning of Time to accelerate the "Big Crunch," and set things up so that the next universe will be energy-only. If any matter-beings show enough development to become a threat to the plans of the Assassins, they go and eliminate the matter-beings with extreme prejudice before they become that advanced. The Heechee figured this out, realized that they were hopelessly outclassed and might have already attracted attention, and retreated to the black holes to regroup and develop some solution to the Assassins.

In my game, I replaced the Heechee with the Ancients, and Grandfather then had a much better reason to rein in his Children -- if their technological experimentation became too "noisy" it would attract the attention of the Assassins. This is why he retreated to a pinched-off universe-bubble, and had to make sure all of the high-tech Grandchildren were either eliminated, or fell in line with his isolationism policy. I also decided that Grandfather "invented" jump space, using an enormous amount of energy to "expand" a dimension near enough to be of use, to facilitate travel to interesting phenomena he wanted to study. The "expansion" is expanding at a non-instantaneous speed in all directions; in-game the idea was that this "fiddling with the universe" is DEFINITELY the kind of thing that gets the Assassins all worked up. So, whether or not the players do anything at all, in some finite amount of time, energy beings billions of years old, ridiculously more advanced than us, and of cold reason and no emotion, will show up to see who caused jump space and probably sterilize all of the planets they find with life.

Last edited:

There are two things I'd like to do with traveller.

1. Run out with the battelords rules. They're a perfect match for traveller IMO.

2. Transhuman traveller. Keep the traveller rules on travel and communication but postulate terran humanity fragmented as factions chafed under some rules and separated into factions that explored human possibilities like genetics, cybernetics, digitized intellects, etc. Some use nanotechnology, some go total transhuman but generally maintain a live and let live attitude as wars are hqrd to fight when factions use MAD type policies and orbital battlestations can Mount more powerful and longer ranged weapons than any jump ship.

MGibster

Legend
Anyone here into any version of Traveller? Sing out if you are.
I've got the latest edition of Traveller from Mongoose...well, not the latest, latest edition, but their boxed starter set from a few years ago. I bought it in 2020 with the intention of running a campaign in a post- COVID world. I'm only now getting around to running a campaign (Cyberpunk) and my Traveller dreams are unfulfilled so far.

Remove ads