Treasure for a 2nd level party

ceratitis

First Post
well most has already been said but...
how about MW thieftools for the rogue? not everything has to be combat you know?
i definitly like adding fluff to the discription. i'd also give the ring to the monk as he is in much more need of it then the wizard.
consider handing over more consumable items then permanent ones.it makes it easier on you as a tough encounter will most likely simply use up some of them to save the party and permanent items are harder to get rid of. also consider adding some cool flavour items that have no real game value like beard rings for the dwarf, music instruments with fluff text for the bard ect... you mayfind your players prefer a mundaine item with a cool story/history over magical items.
Z

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
Sej: Hehe, that is a cool description for the Greatsword, I think I will use it.:)

Hopeless: Hmmm, okay I will throw in a nice dagger for the Rogue. The Monk already has one of the highest ACs in the group(18 without anything), so the ring will still probably go to the Wizard, who has an AC of 13. They will recive the bow from a commoner who is taking potshots at the rbelling guards, they will notice him and try to kill him. If the PCs save him he will give them the bow, which he tells them was handed down from his great grandfater who used to be an excellent woodsmen. The guards have of their own free will rebeled, so the remaining loyal guards will tell them they can have whatever they find on them as a reward. I suppose I can give the Wizard a couple of more scrolls, maybe a scroll of scorching ray, the shield scroll, and one of some other 1st level spell. The scrolls have been stolen from the town Wizard, who the PCs will find holed up somewhere. The Sorcerer and his Clerical minion are just pawns for a greater power that I will reveal later on in the campaign. The Sorcerer is taking over the town as a starting point for taking over the entire Lower Lands, but this is at the behest of another entity.

The reason the guards rebeled was because of low wages, long hours, and poor working conditions. There are also a lot of them who are simply corrupt. But I am going to have many of the good ones who were just swayed by the Sorcerers words surrender when they are beaten by the PCs. Normally this wouldnt be any cause for taking up arms against the town, but the Sorcerer and the Cleric are great at persuading people to follow them, and so they incited the rebellion.

Grimnar and his Orc minions are a well-known group of raiders in the area, the Sorcerer has recruited him in taking over the town. The Sorcerer has promised him a pick of the nicest place in town to call his own when the rebellion is complete.

Thanks a lot man for helping me so much.:)

Ceratitis: Yeah, I will prolly give the Rogue some tools, as he kind of needs them. :)

Last edited:

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Galeros said:
The Greatsword is for the Paladin, the Mace is indeed for the Cleric, the bow is for the Bard, the Breatplate is for the Paladin as well, as he is their only main frontline Fighter really so he needs good armor. The ring and scroll are indeed for the Wizard. :)
I'm guessing that your players are new to D&D, based on the theory that the Paladin is the only frontline fighter type.

Keep this in mind:
* The Rogue makes a wicked tag-team partner with any frontline fighter thanks to their sneak attacks. If the Rogue has a decent AC, encourgae him to get up there and slog it out.
* The Wizard should get magic spells. But I'm from the new-school way of thinking when it comes to Wizards and AC... if they never get in frontline combat, why stock them up with defensive items? The Wiz will have the Bard and the Rogue to help defend the rear if needs be.
* The Bard must have blown his feat on the comp. longbow... does he have a high (or any) STR bonus? If not, a light crossbow will do him much better, he wouldn't have had to blow a feat, and he could use that feat for something more fun.
* The Monk is a mean frontline fighter. High Wis + High Dex + Mid Strength and he's just as good as any ol' Fighter... plus he's size Small, so even better. He might better benefit from the Ring of Protection than the Wizard if he goes this route. He and the Rogue would also make a good tag-team.
* The Paladin can and should be the Tank. Don't forget he gets Lay on Hands. ;)
* The Cleric should also be a frontline fighter. Despite his shorter size, he's considered Medium, so he can use any and all weapons a Med-sized character can. With a feat (or the War domain and a decent deity), he could also use the Greatsword. He can wear any armour and use any shield, plus he's a Dwarf (making him a humanoid-buster), so Tank him up and let him get whacked.

All that aside...
Looks like a decent pile of change. I'd say leave it as is.

hopeless

Adventurer
Reg: 2nd level Party

What churches or shrines are present in this settlement?
Is the Sorceror's clerical minion a member of the main faith or part of a minority group the sorceror's coerced into helping take over the settlement in return for replacing the current town's patron deity for theirs?
If they are rivals whats happening with these faiths whilst the uprising is occurring?
Who does the dwarven cleric follow?
If they're all of the same faith and its a struggle inside the faith as the clerical minion is trying to replace the current head of the faith will that make things harder as they use his/her contacts to restrict access to healing or try to make them stay strictly neutral during the conflict?
Also what is the reaction of those guards when that well known group of raiders trot into town, will some of them change sides when they realise just what they've got themselves into or will they use their current position to act as spies in the enemy camp and try to help the Pcs when things start looking grim when the sorceror is forced to act directly against them?
And given how remarkable that greatsword sounds could it actually belong to someone important enough that they'll send others to retrieve it like for example a heirloom to the ruling family whose presence grants the wielder the clout to allow them to confront the current ruler of the town which the sorceror needs to "prove" their right to become the new ruler?
And whats the alignment of the Sorceror and his clerical minions?
If they are at least 5th (and 6th in case of the Sorceror) do they have access to Animate Dead and are they using it?
What feats do the lead bad guys possess?
Is extend spell one of them and what campaign world are you using or is it homebrewed?
More importantly does the town's past have anything to do with this mysterious Mr Big whose behind the Sorceror and his conquest?

Whats the recommended wealth level for 3rd level characters? If the breast plate is an upgrade to the paladin, what kind of sorry armor is he wearing? A chain shirt? Leather? It seems that a 3rd level front line fighter should be sporting more than a 15 ac... Toss the paladin some plate. An ogre (cr 3) has a +8 attack bonus for 2d8+7 damage... he's going to need an ac above 20 pretty fast in order to do any front line fighting without a cleric casting cure light wounds every round.

As far as the jeweled dagger for the gnome... does he actually wield daggers? Are you using the 3.5 weapon size rule? Because a d3 mundane weapon isnt much to drool over. It will get written on the sheet and never used, or sold off. I'd make it whatever weapon he uses, and masterwork.

Check out the DMG for equipping NPC's with class levels. They tend to be decently equipped. A 4th level NPC cleric is going to be sporting better than a breastplate.

I'm always a fan of fluffing out treasure lists with consumables, since they are more strategically used. Perhaps instead of that scroll of shield give the sorcerer a mostly used up wand of mage armor or something (12 charges remaining). Give the cleric 3 scrolls of cure light wounds, etc. It doesnt buff the cleric, it just helps avoid the "D&D day" of stopping adventuring once you are out of heals.

You said you were planning on breaks between fights... that doesnt really help unless the party has access to more spells. A potion or 2 can help a lot.

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
hopeless said:
What churches or shrines are present in this settlement?
Is the Sorceror's clerical minion a member of the main faith or part of a minority group the sorceror's coerced into helping take over the settlement in return for replacing the current town's patron deity for theirs?
If they are rivals whats happening with these faiths whilst the uprising is occurring?
Who does the dwarven cleric follow?
If they're all of the same faith and its a struggle inside the faith as the clerical minion is trying to replace the current head of the faith will that make things harder as they use his/her contacts to restrict access to healing or try to make them stay strictly neutral during the conflict?
Also what is the reaction of those guards when that well known group of raiders trot into town, will some of them change sides when they realise just what they've got themselves into or will they use their current position to act as spies in the enemy camp and try to help the Pcs when things start looking grim when the sorceror is forced to act directly against them?
And given how remarkable that greatsword sounds could it actually belong to someone important enough that they'll send others to retrieve it like for example a heirloom to the ruling family whose presence grants the wielder the clout to allow them to confront the current ruler of the town which the sorceror needs to "prove" their right to become the new ruler?
And whats the alignment of the Sorceror and his clerical minions?
If they are at least 5th (and 6th in case of the Sorceror) do they have access to Animate Dead and are they using it?
What feats do the lead bad guys possess?
Is extend spell one of them and what campaign world are you using or is it homebrewed?
More importantly does the town's past have anything to do with this mysterious Mr Big whose behind the Sorceror and his conquest?

The Cleric is a Cleric of Hextor who was pretending to be a Cleric of Hierneous. There was a temple to Hierroneous in town, but tha has been taken over and has been desecrated in the name of Hextor. The sword is simply a nice sword that the Cpatian of the Guard had crafted for himself by the town smith, who is now dead. The Sorcerer is NE and the Cleric is LE. The Sorcerer doesnt really much care for the Cleric and is just using him. The PCs could use this to their advantage if they can find out about it. I will probably throw in some undead in the new temple of Hextor. Yes, extend spell is one of their feats, both of them have Combat Casting, The Cleric also has Iron Will. The SOrcerere has two exta spell feats too, I let him take a feat in place of a Familiar, He has these so I can give him the spells I wanted to.

The guy behind the Sorcerer has nothing to do with the towns past, the big guy behind everything is a man called "Emperor" Thrandus who lives in the Sunken Palace of the Gods at the Center of the World. He uses the power of the palace itself to contact those on the outside. While inside the palace he is immortal age wise and even can not be harmed at all. THe only way to kill him is to destroy the palace as he is linked to it, but the palace is also the source of all magic in the world. The PCs wont run into him for a loooong time though, and he is manipulating many others throughout the world.

EDIT: Got my game in less than an hour. I will let you all know how it went. :)

Last edited:

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
Well, it went well. The players actually decided to be sneaky and they snuck into the other side as merchants, and despite some mishaps with their gear, they managed to get it back and they incited the commoners in the town to counter-rebel. They have killed the Cleric and the captain of the guard. They are going to fight Melegost and Grimnar and his bear companion at the beginning of next session.

EDIT: I managed to give one of my players the chills, so I think that is a good sign. :)

Last edited:

Remove ads