Treasure liquidity

WilliamCQ

Explorer
If a spellcasting service or a spell itself require gold and one only have a treasure, like a tiara, can it be used to pay for the service? Is it as liquid as currency?

AriochQ

Adventurer
Most treasure is tracked by converting it into gold pieces. You can keep track of gems and jewelry for flavor, but normally it is all converted to gold pieces at the end of an adventure to make it divisible.

RealAlHazred

Frumious Flumph (Your Grace/Your Eminence)
For the purposes of Adventurers League, it still counts as "gold pieces" for the purposes of paying for things. My characters have had diamond bracelets made for 350gp each, that contain the 300gp worth of "diamond dust" needed for the revivify spell. If one of my characters needed the money, they could "spend" one for 350gp worth of whatever.

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
For the purposes of Adventurers League, it still counts as "gold pieces" for the purposes of paying for things. My characters have had diamond bracelets made for 350gp each, that contain the 300gp worth of "diamond dust" needed for the revivify spell. If one of my characters needed the money, they could "spend" one for 350gp worth of whatever.

Note that this is a 'house rule', not an AL rule -- though the ability to 'keep' objects as treasure without converting them to gold at the end of an adventure is a long-standing tradition in AL (and the final adventure in Season Four actually uses this as a mechanic in the adventure), there is nothing expressly authorizing this in the current ALDMG. More to the point, there is no specific rule on whether an item originally awarded as treasure keeps its value if it is not converted to treasure at the end of an adventure.

As such, a DM could rule that objects taken as treasure and not converted to a gold piece value do not have inherent value after that point and thus cannot be used as material components in spells that require an expenditure of gold. A DM could also allow this, and my guess is that many will, but it is not a published rule in Adventurers League, so do not expect that this tradition will always be honored.

--
Pauper

Srahcir

First Post
In the players handbook it says on page 143 under the coinage section that "When merchants discuss deals that involve goods or services worth hundreds or thousands of gold pieces, the transactions don't usually involve the exchange of individual coins." Instead actual exchanges involve things like gold bars, letters of credit or Valuable goods.

Thinking that your large transactions actually use lots of gold pieces is actually the exception, NOT the norm, as written in the Phb!!

Personally I would think that a tiara would count as a valuable good, and if a player logs it I believe that should be OK - just please don't make me have my characters or NPCs start rolling appraise or persuasion to negotiate value.

jasper

Rotten DM
I just ask at the beginning of session does anyone need to buy supplies. Paying 300 gp for 300 gp for diamond dust is buying supplies. If they deep in the jungle the META Market opens for business and disappears before the next scene.

Remove ads