• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Triple Foul

Edmee Kobayashi

First Post
Triple Foul
Level: [Any arcane-capable class] 4
Necromancy
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 100ft + 5/level
Target: Any one target
Duration: 1 round/level
Spell Resistance: Yes
Saving Throw: Fortitude partial

Effect: Casting this spell severely disrupts the physical senses of its target. For the allotted duration, the target is blinded, deafened and silenced. A successful fortitude save allows only one of the effects to take, negating all on a natural 20.

d6

1-2 Blinded
3-4 Deafened
5-6 Silenced

Total penalties from triple foul

-2 AC
Flat-footed
1/2 speed
-4 Search, most Str and Dex checks, and initiative
Can't make vision-based, language-dependent, or hearing-based checks.
Can't use any sonic abilities or any abilities that require speaking
All the affected's attacks have 50% miss chance against them
Can't cast spells with verbal components (silence overrides this part of the deaf effect)

avr

First Post
So against a spellcaster that's a no save (well, barring a natural 20), no attack roll required crippling effect from a 4th level spell? Sounds like too much to me. With Fortitude negates it's still a very good 4th level spell.

If you want a possibility of a partial effect I'd base it off the saves of phantasmal killer; give one save to negate all effects, then another to see if you get one effect (save success) or all three (fail). As the full effect isn't quite lethal, unlike phantasmal killer, I'd make this a 3rd level spell.

That's a great idea!

Alternatively, I could upgrade it to a 5th level spell and retain the rest of the spell as written (allowing some partial casters like the hexblade and the fast-and-accurate-homemade-class-that-I-can't-seem-to-shut-up-about to use it as a 4).

In fact, this was what was suggested at GITP (the 5th level thing)

I like both the 5th and 3rd level ideas!

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads