D&D 5E Triton Monk: Making the Best of the Non-Optimal Choice

vulcan_idic

Explorer
So I realize that a Triton Monk is a non-optimal choice mechanically, but I find it a fun flavorful concept - an aquatic/semi-aquatic monk/sailor, unencumbered by armor, playing a bit of a Navy Seal/Stealth/Recon role for her ship.

So given the non-optimal choice of creating a Triton Monk as a premise, what is the community's advice on how to make the best Triton Monk possible?

I'm thinking Way of Shadow... but I know my own bias is towards Way of Shadow, so that might be my own bias rather than good decision making taking.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
The main question we have to ask here:
What is the campaign like? Are you doing something water-focused, or are you a fish out of water?

vulcan_idic

Explorer
There actually isn't a campaign specifically. I'm creating the character because... I need to create the character. I see her as a character in a seafaring shipboard campaign though.

Edit: I think one of the reasons the triton monk sounds fun is getting to use the unarmored movement in different ways as, according to my understanding, it would apply to my swim speed as well! This should make for some fun 'amphibious commando' shenanigans!

Attachments

• IMG_0132.JPG
    IMG_0132.JPG
    81.3 KB · Views: 41,635
Last edited:

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Way of the Four Elements then.

Being able to stall a ship on an iceberg out of nowhere, pull people into the water while they are clambering on the deck, and setting fire to their black powder without needing equipment of your own, sounds perfect for amphibious warfare.

vulcan_idic

Explorer
Another way I'm thinking about going is Way of the Kensai and selecting flavorful weapons - Trident and Net Maybe, or a polearm like the one in the above picture...

vulcan_idic

Explorer
Since I see her as a recon element of a national navy I think I'm going to hybridize the Sailor and Soldier backgrounds (hoping that the DM I eventually use the character with will approve. Proficiencies as a Sailor, Feature as a Soldier, Suggested Characteristics... undecided.

vulcan_idic

Explorer
OK, so creating her at 3rd level, Way of Four Elements, Water Whip as her first choice of Elemental Discipline as it seems fitting and flavorful. I'm just calling her weapon a spear. Still a work in progress, but her sheet so far is here.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I would highly recommend not totally dumping CHA. Even though you have only one spell that realistically benefits from it ( Gust of Wind ) It's still probably more useful to you than INT or maybe even STR. And it's not like you will need too much more than a positive modifier to knock over the kinds of monsters you would be targeting with the spell anyway.

Remove ads