• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Trivial houserule: "Help Up" action

ravenheart

Explorer
could it be a minor action? You could then move adjacent to them and help them up.

I think that would screw with the economy of actions, and make the prone condition practically obsolete.

If it's a move action for your ally to stand up, it should be a move action for you to help him up. It tecnically translates into you giving away your move action to said ally. This still leaves room for a standard action attack and a minor action (drop prone!). But maybe it could be a minor action if it imposed some form of penalty, such as attracting opportunity attacks or you granting combat advantage to enemies etc.

The real problem lies in prone being a condition. What do you do when faced with prone (save ends)? Or a double condition, like prone and dazed (save ends)? And how about aftereffects?

keterys

First Post
You're best off assuming that prone (save ends) does not exist in the system and anywhere it appears the (save ends) should be moved onto another word.

Ie, prone and immobilized (save ends) is just prone (instantaneous) and immobilized (save ends).

Anyhow, I suspect this would nerf prone a bit to make it a move action, but I'm all for some option to help others. I'd probably want to play around with it a little I guess.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
It occurred to me there could be a parallell of the heal action which grants a save to end a condition.. this is kind of like an athletic action which grants a save to end prone...under some conditions it might end slowed or similar as well.

Last edited:

keterys

First Post
Yep, but that Heal action is a standard action.

Obviously picking an ally up as a standard action is fine and balanced, but as a move is a lot more questionable.

Minor is right out.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yep, but that Heal action is a standard action.

Obviously picking an ally up as a standard action is fine and balanced, but as a move is a lot more questionable.

Minor is right out.

right... so what feat would give the "combat medic" style you can do this as a minor action ;-), its just way less versatile. I am picturing some fantasy martial artist acrobatic capability (like certain characters from the chronicals of thomas covenant)

I was thinking that having it require a skill roll then a saving throw help up was being fairly limited... or making it only require the skill roll if you dont do it as a standard action (if you want to do it as a move)

keterys

First Post
Oh, yeah, a feat should totally let you stand as a minor action (isn't there already one?) - I still don't think a feat let you stand someone else as a minor action, but maybe it would work thematically for certain characters.

Like a shadow source character that fights with lots of tendrils of shadow, or a wizard for mage hand...

It should definitely provoke opportunity attacks. Standing up from prone does, and it preserves that aspect of game balance. More importantly, however, it just makes sense. You can't effectively guard yourself if you're pulling your buddy off his ass.

I also think you should specify that, if the ally has been subjected to a lasting prone condition (such as one which is caused by the unconscious condition or one which lasts until the victim saves) you can't pick him up, because he'll fall right back down again. But most prone effects just knock you down and let you stand back up again at your first opportunity.

But I like this. It's not always a great tactic, but sometimes it'll save your life. Prone can be surprisingly nasty.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads