• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

TROLL POLL #3: Prestigious or not? Vote on "Class" warfare!

Got class?

• I love all prestige classes whether I play them or not.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • Prestige classes play a critical role in my gamng. Can't game without them.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Great concepts, cool ideas - definitely one of the coolest aspects of the game.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • I use/like about 75% of the prestige classes I come across.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I am always looking for a way to incorporate a Prestige Class I like into a game.

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • I use/like about 50% of the prestige classes I come across.

Votes: 3 6.8%
  • Prestige Classes are fun to read but they almost never get play time.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • I use/like about 25% of the prestige classes I come across.

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Rarely do I even consider prestige classes. Most are worth neither reading nor playing.

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • Make mine "core" and leave me out of this perpetual parade of prestige plenitude!

Votes: 2 4.5%

TrubbulTheTroll

First Post
Do you use 'em? You know, prestige classes? Do you like them all? Just a few? Not a one?

Take the poll and let everyone know if the D&D designers and writers are fulfilling your prestige class dreams or if they are wasting their time and your money...

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
You really should give "other" as an option in your polls. I consider Prestige Classes on a case-by-case basis. I take into account if a particular role in my campaign world would best be served by the inclusion of a PrC, or whether a PrC's role would be better filled by a core class or judicious use of multiclassing. I think that too many times core classes and multiclassing get overlooked, when they would fit the bill quite well.

JeffB

Legend
ColonelHardisson said:
You really should give "other" as an option in your polls. I consider Prestige Classes on a case-by-case basis. I take into account if a particular role in my campaign world would best be served by the inclusion of a PrC, or whether a PrC's role would be better filled by a core class or judicious use of multiclassing. I think that too many times core classes and multiclassing get overlooked, when they would fit the bill quite well.

Exactly.

Great concept, bad execution (in general )

I voted about 25%. Most of them just don't fit my gaming style/campaign. But there are a few truffles underneath all the manure. :)

TrubbulTheTroll

First Post
Excellent points... I will definitely consider them on my follow-up Prestige Class poll that focuses on gamers who like PrC's as to how those classes are used in campaigns.

Zogg

First Post
I chose 25%. When I think about PrC's, I think

a) they are unorganized
b) they are not {anywhere close to being} balanced
c) many are ambiguous
d) many are silly
e) many aren't even "prestigious"

I would prefer to see an OFFICIAL be-all end-all prestige class supplement made by people who

a) have playtested the PrC's
b) know what they are doing

As it stands, flipping through dozens of supplements trying to find a cool PrC is not fun at all. It's a big mess, and until somebody get their head out of their ass it's never going to get any better.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I use my Prestige Classes. The ones I wrote, or modified, or the very few that I approve unchanged.

Most PrCs that I read are fuel for ideas, but they're not suitable for use IMC without serious modification.

-- Nifft

Ridley's Cohort

First Post
I voted "Rarely..."

PrCs are a mixed bag of cool and silly ideas that are mostly solutions to a problem that hardly exists -- if it exists at all. To my mind, it is using a sledgehammer to drive in a nail.

I like the concept of PrCs, but there is no coherent philosophy for building them. The result is that PrCs are all over the map in quality -- reminding me of the more annoying aspects of AD&D1.

Many PrCs could be entirely replaced by a feat chain with interesting prereqs. Many PrCs could be replaced by imaginative multiclassing and minor tweaks by the DM. Many PrCs are ridiculously overpowered relative to the core classes; a few ridiculously weak.

drnuncheon

Explorer
Hmm. I'd like to vote for several options, since you didn't exactly make them mutually excusive.

Great concepts, cool ideas - definitely one of the coolest aspects of the game.
I am always looking for a way to incorporate a Prestige Class I like into a game.
I use/like about 50% of the prestige classes I come across.

J

Remove ads