• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Trolls and OT

TeaBee

First Post
Can there be an area just for trolls?

I really hate trolls. Even worse are threads that announce that they're trolls when they're really just a waste of space.

If trolls were "slid" into a troll area, maybe the whole stupid phenomenon would just go away.

I'd like to see an off topic area too.

Couldn't General RPG Discussion just be general RPG discussion or is that asking too much?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Sorry, but no. Morrus has no interest in running a strictly OT board, or a "troll" board. And c'mon... do you really think that an actual troll would post on the troll board? Optimist! :)

Incidentally, did something in particular inspire this post? There are very few OT and troll threads in General Discussion at the moment.

Last edited:

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Piratecat said:
... And c'mon... do you really think that an actual troll would post on the troll board? Optimist! :)
He said "slid" into a troll area, so I think he means we should move them there...

trentonjoe

Explorer
I agree with TeaBee. I think the trolls are a giant waste of space and probably slow down the system.

I think since speed is currently an issue, maybe someone could politely ASK to stop doing it for the next month or so.

I would like to see trolls moved elsewhere but that seems like a pretty subjective decision.

Wicht

Hero
Just out of curiousity, what trolls are bothering you at the moment - there does not seem to be a lot of them - or maybe I just can't see them for all the polls.

Many trolls are actually pretty funny and one of the main things I look forward to reading over in general - of course some of them are rather lame too - but you gotta sift for the gold :)

And then too trolls are subjective creatures - some might consider threads like this trolling and others think it legitimate. Some might consider foresters lectures to be trolls, some might not. Some trolls you don't even know they are trolls until 50 posts into a thread.

reapersaurus

Explorer
I believe I'm entitled to my opinion, so here it is:

I REALLY wish Eric hadn't been so enamored of trolls originally, or it never would have gotten this far on a moderated forum.

I wish they would be obliterated from existence, for one MAJOR reason:
They get in the WAY of communication.
These boards are all ABOUT communication.

And just because there aren't a number of trolls right NOW, that does NOT mean that we should not be vigilant about there return, and perhaps nail things down in preparation.
I, for one, applaud this thread, though i hold NO faith that anything will be done about this vermin.

The Powers That Be are too much fans of the concept of trolling to realize its destructive impacts, apparently. :(

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
And perhaps the detractors of trolling are a bit too quick to vehemence? Remember what happens whenever one seeks a greater level of control. Think about the consequences of policing trolls....

In order to determine if something is really a troll, you need to read the author's mind. Everything else is guesswork. That means any number of legitimate inquiries and opinions can get squashed in the pursuit of a troll-free board. Then there's the extra work this would mean for the moderators. Not only would they have to keep an extra eye out, but they'd then have to field the complaints as well.

Are acrimony and burned-out moderators worth it?

MythandLore

First Post
Umbran said:
And perhaps the detractors of trolling are a bit too quick to vehemence? Remember what happens whenever one seeks a greater level of control. Think about the consequences of policing trolls....

In order to determine if something is really a troll, you need to read the author's mind. Everything else is guesswork. That means any number of legitimate inquiries and opinions can get squashed in the pursuit of a troll-free board. Then there's the extra work this would mean for the moderators. Not only would they have to keep an extra eye out, but they'd then have to field the complaints as well.

Are acrimony and burned-out moderators worth it?

But then you have people that post crap like:
(Troll) This is a Troll
and
The Greatest Troll of All

Remove ads