• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

True 20 Wild West Designer Q&A

Vigilance

Explorer
Hi folks, Chuck here.

My True 20 Wild West supplement has been released at the Green Ronin storefront.

If anyone has any questions about the book, I'd be glad to answer them.

Chuck

Greg K

Legend
Darn you Vig.
One of the main reasons that I didn't switch to True20 has been the d20M stuff from RPGObjects (especially stuff like B&F) and here you go writing for True20. :p

jezter6

Explorer
Me too. I really hope it lives up to previous Wild West gaming.

I'm just bummed this was given no warning, and no "It's out" press other than this post, a similar post on True20 boards, and a little blurb on another True20 thread about the companion.

I hope they plan to market this thing a little better. I'm wondering now what might just start coming out randomly without ever being told.

I'll pick this up tomorrow and give it a look.

Vigilance

Explorer
Lol... sometimes babies just show up in the mail or with the stork. ;)

But now that it's out, I am all over marketing it and I'm sure Green Ronin will be talking it up as well in the days to come :)

Chuck

Vigilance

Explorer
Relique du Madde said:
Well here's one question, what was the reasoning behind choosing to mentioning the famous gunslingers that you mentioned and not others?

I mostly picked NPCs concentrated around the locations in the book, Deadwood, Dodge City and Tombstone (which is mostly covered through Wyatt).

For example Deadwood brings Red Cloud, Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse into the mix (through the nearby Black Hills War), and it also brings in Wild Bill and Seth Bullock (who I especially wanted to include since I thought a lot of folks might not realize he's a historical figure). Wyatt Earp was also in Deadwood for a time, so he serves double duty.

Then for Tombstone you obviously have Wyatt and Doc.

For Dodge City you have Wyatt (again! man he got around), Doc, Charlie Siringo, Dirty Dave Rudabuagh and Squirrel Tooth Alice.

So all the NPCs in the book can be met at one or more of the three iconic locations I cover in the book, with Wyatt having been at all three at various points in his life. This lets the locations and the NPCs compliment each other, giving the game master some good material to get a campaign off the ground.

They have people to meet, places to go and things to do, since there's a few adventure hooks for the NPCs as well as some for the locations.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Wyatt Earp was in Deadwood?!?! Wow.. I didn't know that. I only thought that he visited Tombstone and Dodge before returning to California before moving out towards Alaska.

At least that explains why someone like Billy the Kid did not make the cut. Of course, from what I read about Calamity Jane I can understand why she placed in the book, after all, she was somewhat of a pathological liar so its hard to tell exactly what she did.

Last edited:

Vigilance

Explorer
Relique du Madde said:
Wyatt Earp was in Deadwood?!?! Wow.. I didn't know that. I only thought that he visited Tombstone and Dodge before returning to California before moving out towards Alaska.

At least that explains why someone like Billy the Kid did not make the cut. Of course, from what I read about Calamity Jane I can understand why she placed in the book, after all, she was somewhat of a pathological liar so its hard to tell exactly what she did.

Well, Calamity Jane was someone on my short list but ultimately I decided Id covered her enough in Wild Bill's entry.

And yes, according to my research Wyatt Earp was in Deadwood about the time Seth Bullock was named Sheriff. Many in the camp were concerned that Earp would try to become Sheriff and influence local politics like he had in Dodge City. So Bullock's first task as Sheriff was to confront Earp and let him know his services weren't required.

Committed Hero

Adventurer
Was this released under Ronin Arts' license or RPGObjects' - or through Green Ronin itself?

Just curious as to how the publishing rights were allocated.

Remove ads