• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

True D&D style movies, comics and anime!

Jamdin

Explorer
Villano said:

I have no idea what you're thinking because David Caradine was never in Sword and the Sorcerer. You're thinking of Lee Horsley. :)

David Caradine did do a fantasy pic that had a three-breasted woman, though. Can't think of its title for the life of me, and I even have it on tape somewhere...

Hopefully, you were just mixing up the actors and can tell the difference between breasts and swords. If you can't, let me in on one of your games because I bet they're alot of fun! "Suddenly, she whips out her double D's and attacks! You take 1d12 bludgeoning damage!" :)

I do believe the David Carradine's fantasy movie was The Warrior and the Sorceress (1984) and she had four breasts.

Villano

First Post
Jamdin said:

I do believe the David Carradine's fantasy movie was The Warrior and the Sorceress (1984) and she had four breasts.

Hmmm...Do you think they were maybe trying to cash in on The Sword And The Sorcerer with that title?

And, after I wrote my original post, it occurred to me that it might have been 4 instead of 3, but I couldn't be sure.

And you think buying regular chainmail bikinis is hard. :)

Last edited:

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
Scorpian King - D&D all the way!
Circle of Iron - Kung fu fantasy

What was the name of the movie with the guy that had a sword with three blades?

Dagger75

Epic Commoner
What was the name of the movie with the guy that had a sword with three blades?

That would be Sword and the Sorcerer. Remeber the blades also shot out of the sword and flew towrds there targets. That movie also had on one of the guys that was on that Murphry Brown TV show.

It may be a kinda kiddy cartoon but i find Dave the barbarian to be rather D&D styled. It was rather good for a kids show. Had a magic user, a barbarian (though he was very unbarbarian like), a dark lord (Dark lord Chuckles the silly piggy), an evil princess, lots of random stuff happening, a dragon familiar, a magic talking sword.

Another one that just occurred to me is Mystic Knights of Tir Na Nog. it's kinda like D&D meets power rangers.
I just threw up a little.

Movies that have the D&D feel (party of characters, epic fantasy, weird humor):
Hawk the Slayer
Willow

Krull (no demi-humans, and horrible music, but still)
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Mulan (yes the Disney version. Okay it may be based on a Chinese myth, but the way they handled the writing, someone was playing D&D during the scripting)
Dungeons & Dragons (the Saturday morning cartoon series) - trite yes, but used actual items, monsters and memes from the game - mostly because EGG was in California at the time as a technical adviser.
Slayers - while I don't actually enjoy this series, every episode was based on their running D&D campaign. Evidently some of the dialog was word for word from character encounters.
D&D : Wrath of the Dragon God - No academy awards but at least it was better and truer to the source material than the first one.
Conan the Destroyer - Not as good a movie as the first, but much closer to D&D. (The AD&D module was fairly faithful to the movie too).
Legend - okay so the faeries were almost as tall as Tom Cruise. But Tim Curry as the evil demon - pure freaking magic. Besides, there were different races, magic and a party rescuing the princess (and a unicorn) - sounds like D&D to me.
The Dark Crystal - very much on the fringe but I had nightmares about the skeckies for weeks after I saw that movie.
The Neverending Story - The first one was awesome, I even named one of my early character's Atreyu (the rest don't qualify)

Movies mentioned here that DON'T fit :
D&D the movie - utter crap with a thin veneer of marketing - no that's too good a review
The Dragonlance cartoon - Part cartoon, part live action all garbage. And I thought the novels were bad. *rolleyes*
Beastmaster - Both the movie and the TV series. While I liked both, they never felt like D&D to me (maybe more like GURPs).

Laith Amekir

First Post
Some D&D movies and Anime:

Anime:

Record of Lodoss War
Rune Soldier:
Final Fantasy Unlimited (Not all that great but hey)
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
Magic Knight Rayearth (Not all that great but it has some good elements)
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles
Peacemaker Kurogane
Tower of Druaga
X
Samurai 7
Rurouni Kenshin
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Slayers

Movies:
Willow
Legend
Krull
Star Wars
and many more

TV
Angel
Buffy
Game of Thrones
Supernatural
Merlin

Argyle King

Legend
Dragon Age - Not so much the tone or feel of the story, but the first game (IMO) captured the feel of playing a D&D character well with the specializations at certain levels being similar to paragon paths. The second game's exaggerated and over the top hacky slashy style would fit pretty well into D&D.

Dragon Ball Z - with the teleporting around, crazy wire-fu fighting, and the powers the PCs can unleash, I can see a of the current D&D ideals.

I would agree with Thunderfoot on Beastmaster. Though, I would also say that I believe the world of Conan would fit better into a different system. While Conan himself is larger than life, and has somewhat unbelievable abilities, I don't feel that the tone and feel of the world around him matches the current D&D mechanics very well.

RainOfSteel

Explorer
What can add to the list?
Pirates of the Caribbean (pirates/high seas-type D&D)

Howl's Moving Castle

Eragon

Beowulf

Couching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Oriental Adventures)

Storm Riders (Oriental Adventures)

Red Sonja (not the greatest movie, but it fits)

Tales from Earthsea

Battlechasers

Erik the Viking (more than a few campaigns go like this)

Remove ads