• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

True seeing Disadvantage

Physiker

First Post
Is True seeing a disadvantage against enemies which either wildshape or polymorph ?
Or the ask the other way round, do you see both forms (similar to illusions you saved against) of the polymorphed wizard or only the wizard ?

Because I could imagine that True seeing (above all as su) leads to a lot of Attack of Opportunities if let's say a Erinyes (5feet reach) has to fight a wildshaped druid and can't realise the danger.

frankthedm

First Post
I'm quite confident the True Seeing effect is not intended to render the false form invisible.

"and sees the true form of polymorphed, changed, or transmuted things. "

True Seeing
Divination
Level: Clr 5, Drd 7, Knowledge 5, Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: 1 min./level
Saving Throw: Will negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

You confer on the subject the ability to see all things as they actually are. The subject sees through normal and magical darkness, notices secret doors hidden by magic, sees the exact locations of creatures or objects under blur or displacement effects, sees invisible creatures or objects normally, sees through illusions, and sees the true form of polymorphed, changed, or transmuted things. Further, the subject can focus its vision to see into the Ethereal Plane (but not into extradimensional spaces). The range of true seeing conferred is 120 feet.

True seeing, however, does not penetrate solid objects. It in no way confers X-ray vision or its equivalent. It does not negate concealment, including that caused by fog and the like. True seeing does not help the viewer see through mundane disguises, spot creatures who are simply hiding, or notice secret doors hidden by mundane means. In addition, the spell effects cannot be further enhanced with known magic, so one cannot use true seeing through a crystal ball or in conjunction with clairaudience/clairvoyance.
Material Component

An ointment for the eyes that costs 250 gp and is made from mushroom powder, saffron, and fat.
Of course True Seeing can still be a disadvantage, some critters you don't want to see the true form of, such as Medusae and Unspeakable Horrors.

From Beyond by H. P. Lovecraft

Starbuck_II

First Post
Is True seeing a disadvantage against enemies which either wildshape or polymorph ?
Or the ask the other way round, do you see both forms (similar to illusions you saved against) of the polymorphed wizard or only the wizard ?

Because I could imagine that True seeing (above all as su) leads to a lot of Attack of Opportunities if let's say a Erinyes (5feet reach) has to fight a wildshaped druid and can't realise the danger.

True form only. Which makes it real fun with Invisible Metamagic.
Invisible Fog Cloud only blocks sight of those with True seeing.

green slime

First Post
True form only. Which makes it real fun with Invisible Metamagic.
Invisible Fog Cloud only blocks sight of those with True seeing.

I'd strongly disagree with that statement. There is nothing about the spell description which states you are unaware of the illusions, transmutations, polymorphed shapes or what ever else that the spell penetrates. In fact,doing so makes it almost worthless.

Starbuck_II

First Post
I'd strongly disagree with that statement. There is nothing about the spell description which states you are unaware of the illusions, transmutations, polymorphed shapes or what ever else that the spell penetrates. In fact,doing so makes it almost worthless.
True seeing sees the truth form: the true form of an invisible Metamagic is not invisible. Sorry, you now see the see effect.

True Seeing doesn't let you choose. You just do.

green slime

First Post
True seeing sees the truth form: the true form of an invisible Metamagic is not invisible. Sorry, you now see the see effect.

True Seeing doesn't let you choose. You just do.

I disagree. Just as true seeing allows you to see into the ethereal, as well as through magical darkness, does not imply that you are unaware of the existance of the magical darkness, nor that you are incapable of seeing things on your present plane of existance. The same would apply to your invisible metamagic. It would appear translucent.

Your reasoning assumes that the true form of an invisible magical Fog Cloud is the Fog cloud. I suggest this is incorrect: True seeing penetrates the magical: The true form of the invisible Fog Cloud, is nothing at all. No magical cloud can hinder the sight of the true seeing.

Last edited:

guiziliu

Banned
Banned
If only nerdrage could be harnessed, the world would have all the renewable energy it would ever need
clear.gif

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads