• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

True Strike while grappled?

LokiDR

First Post
kreynolds said:

I'd say no, since they aren't real arms. The only thing they can do is aid in a grapple, and real arms can do far more than that. :)

Does the same provision for grappling appear on Girrialian's Blessing, I wonder. Incidently, fuse arms doesn't specify magic or non-magic arms. Near as I can tell, it works with Fearsome Grapple, Girralian's Blessing, and Alter Self. Rather than change the spell, I just don't use Savage Species. Is there any errata or FAQ on that book yet?

kreynolds

First Post
LokiDR said:
Does the same provision for grappling appear on Girrialian's Blessing, I wonder.

Not in regards to grappling, but the arms are still limited.

"The additional arms do not allow additional attacks or several simultaneous physical attacks. They do not increase the subject's reach. However, they do allow the subject to use items designed for creatures with more than two arms, or to use a two-handed weapon and another piece of equipment. For instance, a subject could wield a greatsword while using a shield."

That's limited enough to still not qualify as "real" arms in my book.

LokiDR said:
Incidently, fuse arms doesn't specify magic or non-magic arms. Near as I can tell, it works with Fearsome Grapple, Girralian's Blessing, and Alter Self.

True, but I don't think an arm can be an arm if you can't use it as an arm.

LokiDR said:
Rather than change the spell, I just don't use Savage Species.

Perhaps, but I don't think I'm changing the spell. Seems like a logical and sensible limitation of the spell, and I think its the intent as well.

LokiDR said:
Is there any errata or FAQ on that book yet?

Not that I know of, unfortunately.

LokiDR

First Post
kreynolds said:
True, but I don't think an arm can be an arm if you can't use it as an arm.

But it is an arm. Simply because you are limited in its use doesn't make it not an arm. It is a crippled arm, if you like.

kreynolds said:
Perhaps, but I don't think I'm changing the spell. Seems like a logical and sensible limitation of the spell, and I think its the intent as well.

I don't think it is the intent. Fuse Arms appears just above Girriallian's Blessing in two different spell lists. I can't believe the designers didn't think of this at all if they thought about it at all. I am sure they believed Fuse Arms would work with polymorph.

Fuse arms lists no limitation to "real" arms, so I see a limit in that way to be a change in the spell. The spell is only limited in so far as the spell states it is limited. Would you allow Alter Self arms to be Fused?

kreynolds said:
Not that I know of, unfortunately.

I really want to see them cover some holes like this. I suppose they are busy on 3.5.

kreynolds

First Post
LokiDR said:
But it is an arm. Simply because you are limited in its use doesn't make it not an arm. It is a crippled arm, if you like.

That's certainly a valid viewpoint, but no more valid than my own. You have arms. A spell can give you another "arm". It is an "arm" because it is not functionial as an arm. The intended use for an arm has not been fulfilled by the "arm", thus I don't qualify the "arm" as an arm.

LokiDR said:
I don't think it is the intent. Fuse Arms appears just above Girriallian's Blessing in two different spell lists. I can't believe the designers didn't think of this at all if they thought about it at all. I am sure they believed Fuse Arms would work with polymorph.

I don't think the order of the spells being listed has anything to do with the intent of the spell in question.

LokiDR said:
Fuse arms lists no limitation to "real" arms, so I see a limit in that way to be a change in the spell. The spell is only limited in so far as the spell states it is limited.

It mentions arms, but "arms" granted by Girallon's Blessing or Fearsome Grapple are not arms. If they were, they would not be so limited.

LokiDR said:
Would you allow Alter Self arms to be Fused?

Nope. From the spell description...

Your attack rolls, natural armor bonus, and saves do not change. The spell does not confer special abilities, attack forms, defenses, ability scores, or mannerisms of the chosen form.

LokiDR said:
I really want to see them cover some holes like this.

It would be nice. :cool:

Would True Strike be effective in this situation?

Fighter casts True Strike (from Ioun stone), he then moves in to attack a creature. The creature has reach and hits the fighter and starts a grapple since it has Improved Grab. Can the fighter use his +20 bonus on his grapple check?

True Strike says it affects the roll "during the character's next attack". It does not say when the character takes an "ATTACK ACTION".
Grapple says " you can use the Attack action to make a special melee attack".
Avoiding becoming Grappled requires succeeding in a "Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check"
Grapple is an attack roll. True Strike affects an attack roll.
Defending against a Grapple is Check. True Strike does not affect a check.
Seems pretty straightforward.

Staffan

Legend
True Strike says it affects the roll "during the character's next attack". It does not say when the character takes an "ATTACK ACTION".
Grapple says " you can use the Attack action to make a special melee attack".
Avoiding becoming Grappled requires succeeding in a "Strength (Athletics) or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check"
Grapple is an attack roll. True Strike affects an attack roll.
Defending against a Grapple is Check. True Strike does not affect a check.
Seems pretty straightforward.
You're right when it comes to 5e, but this thread is from 2003 which means it's based on the 3.0 rules (and for some reason has the Pathfinder & Starfinder tag). Grappling rules in 3e were quite different.

You're right when it comes to 5e, but this thread is from 2003 which means it's based on the 3.0 rules (and for some reason has the Pathfinder & Starfinder tag). Grappling rules in 3e were quite different.
That's hilarious. I was googling an reading 5e material and ended up here.

Remove ads