• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

True20 is the ONLY 20 for me!

baileyrecords

First Post
Kesh said:
True20 is much more of a toolbox (in the vein of GURPS) than standard d20. Out of the box, it can be made into anything you want. By default, it doesn't really have much outside the example settings given. So, yes, if you really want to get into the fine details of making, say, a Battlestar Galactica game, you're going to get mired in working out specific stats and such.

However, for a more generic "space adventure" game, it's a lot more open to play right away.

I totally agree with this... which is what, in my first post starting the thread, is the appeal I found to it. If I want to play Star Wars - I'll use either my WEG books for d6 or my WoTC books for d20 or all the fantastic stuff for free on SWRPGNetwork.com. Same arguements for Eberron, D&D proper, etc.

But to translate my own homebrew into a viable RPG - True20 is the best set of mechanics for it... with the only difficulty being making a superhero chracter from the Adept class... and that was really just due to my lack of best understanding the mechanics as a whole.

- Stratos

iwatt

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
If someone wanted to have a cleric in a True20 game of mine, I'd probably use the Benefit feat to represent 'holy orders' and the social benefits that accrue from that. I certainly wouldn't go any further than that (but that is probably because I dislike the divine/arcane magic divide in D&D, and I'm hoping it turns into holy mooburger in future editions!)

If someone really wanted to differentiate, then they could subdivide the powers into an arcane and a divine list (with some overlap) and either then use the Adept but force them to choose, or use the Adept and give them a different 'core ability' called something like 'divine magic', so that there is a once-off differentiator.

what I'd do is say that Clerics are adepts with wisdom as their spell ability, wizards Int, and Sorcs have Cha. Then I'd go through the power list and add a descriptor to each showing wether it's useable by Wis and/or Int and/or Cha.

That ought to work pretty well.

Or you could try to really capture the spirit of 3e and make a True20 cleric class that has full BAB, all good saves and full access to all powers at all time

Clerics should have about a 1/1 ratio of adept/warrior IMO. The only sticking point with True20 multiclassing in my book is that the power check is based in adept levels and not on total character levels.

Odhanan

Adventurer
Thanks Turanil and Plane Sailing. The comparison with OD&D is indeed very enlightening. I didn't think of it for some reason, and it makes sense. :)

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Add me to the growing list of True20 converts.

One thing I really appreciate about True20: It takes a lot less time to stat up NPCs than it does in d20/d20 Modern.

Turanil

First Post
jaerdaph said:
One thing I really appreciate about True20: It takes a lot less time to stat up NPCs than it does in d20/d20 Modern.
Also, Ronin Arts did a useful PDF: Fantasy Paths, that emulates 10 archetypal classes (assassin, barbarian, cleric, knight, wizard, etc.) using the True20 system. Then, each class get an archetypal NPC stat block from 1st to 20th level.

Otherwise, I don't understand why people are so adverse to the idea of a couple more base classes for use in True20... :\

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
Turanil said:
Also, Ronin Arts did a useful PDF: Fantasy Paths, that emulates 10 archetypal classes (assassin, barbarian, cleric, knight, wizard, etc.) using the True20 system. Then, each class get an archetypal NPC stat block from 1st to 20th level.

I liked that too. For the first time in years, it's tempted me to return to fantasy RPGing. I wish they had included the monk and the druid though.

Nomad4life

First Post
Couple more points which led me to adopt True20 as my primary system of choice:

1. Prep time for adventures is a mere fraction of what it would be for most other RPG games. Really, you just think of something you want the system to do and *poof.* Also, you can convert material and mechanics from just about any other D20 product out there if you suddenly want it mid-game. This may not mean much to you youngun’s, but it is a BIG MAJOR DEAL when you’re old, working, married, and have enough trouble pulling "the gang" together as it is. Trust me.

2. I’m a crossover freak. I love the idea that my True20 Jedi character might someday cross paths with my True20 occult investigator or futuristic mecha pilot, all under the same rule set!

Just though I'd throw those out there.

Quickleaf

Legend
I have to say, I've been reading through HeroQuest recently, and would really like to see some of the HQ ideas like player-defined abilities/skills/feats, culture/religion/occupation templates, contests and varying levels of success incorporated into True20.

Turanil said:
Otherwise, I don't understand why people are so adverse to the idea of a couple more base classes for use in True20... :\
I think the concern is balance of power and niche. Many True20 players don't want to recreate the power-gaming aspect of class (e.g. Bards are weak and Druids rule). Also there's the concern that a new class would have to be some conglomerate of the existing classes. Personally, I think the first argument is important to consider, but True20 makes it easy to balance (The Shadow posted excellent rules for point-based role creation on the True20 boards).

Remove ads