True20 questions about the system

tecnowraith

First Post
I was wondering can someone here give good explanations on how the powers system works in True20? I have been reading conflicting info from different sources.

Last edited:

ValhallaGH

Explorer
I'll give it a shot.

Step 1) Gain a level in the Adept role. There's one (or more, depending upon house rules) way(s) around this step but that seems too nit-picky for your needs.

Step 2) Spend one of your feat selections upon a desired power. Ensure you meet all prerequisites.

Step 3) Use your power. Generally this will require one to three die rolls from the caster and one or two from the target.

3 a) Roll a Power Bonus check; not all powers require this but it is a common way to determine the effects of a given power. 1d20 + Power rank (Adept level + 3 + any bonuses from feats) + Key ability. (Yes, True20 Adepts get to choose their key ability, unless house rules interfere.)

3 b) Roll an attack roll against the target; this is a normal attack roll. This is fairly rare but when it comes up it comes before the next step, so I'll mention it here.

3 c) Roll a Fatigue Save; unless specified otherwise in the power, this will be a Will Save against a difficulty of 10 + (1/2 adept level rounded up) + 1 per previous fatiguing power use in the last hour. Failure grants a level of fatigue (Winded, Fatigued, Exhausted, Unconscious). Not all powers are fatiguing but most of the powerful ones are.

Step 4) Target saves. Targets of powers usually get one or more saving throws against a power's effects. This will take the form of a Fortitude, Reflex, Will, or Toughness save. The results of success are usually the ability to ignore the power; the results of failure vary widely from power to power.

And that's the basics of it. I hope this was helpful and will be happy to clarify if you need it.

tecnowraith

First Post
Ok I understand about the dice rules but is it like feat = 1 power or Feat = group of powers? Afre the Powers written and done like standard d20 feat (feat rules and description) or are they done like standard d20 magic/psionics (feat rules and description)?

Karl Green

First Post
tecnowraith said:
Ok I understand about the dice rules but is it like feat = 1 power or Feat = group of powers? Afre the Powers written and done like standard d20 feat (feat rules and description) or are they done like standard d20 magic/psionics (feat rules and description)?

1 feat is 1 power (or spell). Now that Power or Spell might do different things. Say Body Control (doing this from memory now) lets to make a Power Check to see if you can "Ignore Injury" or "Cure yourself of a Disease" or something similar. Each is a DC check. The powers are NOT standard Spells from 3.5. Say you take the Cold power. This lets you lower the temp in an area and can hurt people if you focus it on one person. But say you want to fire 'killer snow balls' at people, you also need to take Elemental Attack (prereq: One of the Elemental powers) and now you can also do an attack power.

Hope that was not to muddled

tecnowraith

First Post
Sigh... that is what I thought. This is a system I do not like. I like a power/magic system it's own system yet still simple and part of the main mechanic. Guess I will be look a different system to run.

Thanks for the answers and replies though. Needed to find out before I bye and could not find a copy in the stores near me.

Last edited:

Karl Green

First Post
Hmm could be... but True20 is pretty simple and straight forward with Powers. What are you looking for it (or other system) to do?

Aus_Snow

First Post
So, what exactly were you hoping that True20 would do, and - more to the point, perhaps - what would you like the kind of system you're looking for to do?

ValhallaGH

Explorer
tecnowraith said:
I am more use the the way D&D 3.5, d20, WOD and other rpg systems like these that deals with the powers/magic.
If you're familiar with a WOD style power use then True20 powers will be very familiar. Each power has a defined group of abilities it allows but they are vague enough that clever players, and open-minded Narrators, can do some very unexpected things with them.

Remove ads