• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(Trying Not To Start A Rant) The Other Side of the Christian/DnD Thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darrin Drader

Explorer
Yep, it's me, the kiss of death to any thread that has anything to do with Christianity because of my heathen ways. Actually, while I am not a Christian, many of the really good gamers I've ever had in my game were Christians. They also showed a great degree of tolerance for my disbelieving ways. I believe that the Jack Chick inspired hysteria is a thing of the past and D&D is pretty mainstream now.

Last edited:

Kai Lord said:
Of greater note is the phrase "LDS Christian," an oxymoron since the Book of Mormon is not a book of the Bible. I'm not saying anyone can't believe whatever they choose to believe, but I don't think something should be called Christianity when it simply isn't.

(sigh) And it was such a nice civilized discussion ... This type of comment is the reason we don't discuss religion on the boards. Some people just can't help being offensive. I'm LDS too, and that is an _extremely_ offensive statement. I don't see any point in debating it here, but it makes me see the wisdom in the policy.

(returning to topic ...)

I've played since I was 10, and while I was advised to be cautious with RPGs when I was very young, I've never had a bad experience with anyone of any religious persuasion when they found out I play.

Last edited:

Kai Lord

Hero
Hardhead said:
Kai, that's a whole nother issue that's been bandied about a zillion times on a zillion message boards. I believe, if we have any hope of keeping this thread open, that you need to edit that last post. I'll compromise with you and edit the part of mine that you pointed out. Deal?
I edited my post to reflect the change you made and to take the burden off of you if you're concerned about that. But my post still addresses a term Sir Elton used and my response was not uncivil.

Dark Jezter

First Post
Mishihari Lord II said:
(sigh) And it was such a nice civilized discussion ... This type of comment is the reason we don't discuss religion on the boards. Some people just can't help being offensive. I'm LDS too, and that is an _extremely_ offensive statement. I don't see any point in debating it here, but it makes me see the wisdom in the policy.

(returning to topic ...)

I've played since I was 10, and while I was advised to be cautious with RPGs when I was very young, I've never had a bad experience with anyone of any religious persuasion when they found out I play.
I'm LDS myself, and I also had to suppress the urge to respond to Kai Lord's rather offensive statement. It's not hard to see why religious debates aren't allowed here on ENWorld.

Kai Lord

Hero
Dark Jezter said:
I'm LDS myself, and I also had to suppress the urge to respond to Kai Lord's rather offensive statement.
DJ, if you've confessed your sins to Jesus and accepted him as your savior then you're saved and going to heaven. Far be it from me to say you're not. But the book of Mormon is not a part of "Christian" doctrine, that is the inspired Word of God as recorded in the Scriptures from Genesis to Revelation. That was my point.

Kai Lord said:
DJ, if you've confessed your sins to Jesus and accepted him as your savior then you're saved and going to heaven. Far be it from me to say you're not. But the book of Mormon is not a part of "Christian" doctrine, that is the inspired Word of God as recorded in the Scriptures from Genesis to Revelation. That was my point.

I will not be drawn into a debate in this forum. Suffice it to say that your logic stems from assumptions with which I do not agree. This thread has been very positive and interesting up to this point; let's not get it closed down.

(edit)

On second reading, this post was far nicer than I originally thought. Yes in some ways it is a semantic issue.

Last edited:

Etan Moonstar

First Post
And there it goes....oh well, thanks to those of you who managed to reach five pages on a religious thread with thoughtful, respectful posts, anyway. =P

Kai Lord

Hero
Mishihari Lord II said:
On second reading, this post was far nicer than I originally thought. Yes in some ways it is a semantic issue.
You know this is a very difficult issue to discuss without "discussing" it...these are matters that are very close to people's hearts, that manifest very strong convictions. I believe it takes real wisdom to realize when its the right time to speak and keep silent.

We all know the Board rules, but we also know that a lot slips through the moderators, and its up to each person's own beliefs, convictions, and wisdom to decide when and what to speak on. I believe there is one Truth and a lot of deception. I also believe in "speaking the truth in love", because God knows the truth won't do any good if you beat someone over the head with it.

I'm sure I'm being frowned upon, but the simple fact is that its a tough situation due to the nature of the topic, and there's also the realization that there are things more important than "Board Rules." The mods know it, and I think do a great job of taking things on a case by case basis. I'll either be ignored, reprimanded, or even banned. I don't know, but believe me I'm not trying to make your or anyone's stay here unwelcome.

I quite often enjoy interacting with Dark Jezter from time to time, and don't want to set him or you up as my enemy. Due to my faith there are just some things I have to speak on, and I hope to God I chose wisely on this one.

Last edited:

Dark Jezter

First Post
Anyhoo, I think we should get back to the main subject of this thread. I don't want to see it closed either. Debates about the fundamentals of various religions are for other forums.

Kai Lord said:
I quite often enjoy interacting with Dark Jezter from time to time, and don't want to set him or you up as my enemy. Due to my faith there are just some things I have to speak on, and I hope to God I chose wisely on this one.

No worries, man. It's cool. :)

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads