• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Trying to build an Assassin/Champion multiclass

Minsc

Explorer
The character will be a Half Orc to optimize critical hits.

Point buy:

I plan on starting as a Rogue, and getting Fighter at level 2 (so I can use Shields ASAP). Rogue first for more skills.

Stats:
STR 10
DEX 14
CON 14
INT 14
WIS 10
CHA 14

No great stats, but all pretty good.

Pump DEX on the first three chances to get to 20.

What level order would you recommend? Is this a decent build? What level split would make the most effective character?

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
Personally I find assassin/fighters work better with ranged weapons than melee weapons. That +2 bonus and the feats are just better than most melee options.

Speaking of which, what weapon are you using? Half-orcs can't crit-boost ranged weapons.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
A 3/17 split where you alternate up to rogue 3 then ride fighter for the rest of it is good for more crits. And a 9/11 split is good for big crits.

krunchyfrogg

Explorer
Good advice, Leatherhead.

I really like to look at # of attacks, and feat/stat bumps, which is why the Fighter is the best.

For this build, a 12 Fighter/8 Rogue still gets 6 feats, and 3 attacks per round. Pretty sweet if you ask me.

And while this is off-topic, I agree with Leatherhead again. An archer would make this build better. I do like your Half Orc critical hits theme, but archery is better.

Choose any race you want and just go with it. You'll get your choice of a Long Bow or Heavy Crossbow at Fighter 1, and you'll never miss not having Heavy Armor proficiency with a high DEX.

Remove ads