• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Trying to determine the stats and abilities of a familiar!

GunnerRecall10

First Post
Hello all, ive read the threads on how useful an improved familiar can be, so ive decided that I want to create a familiar. Im now an 11th level wizard, CG alignment. I am choosing between an Imp or a Silvanshee. I would assume since Imps are Lawful Evil, that theres no way I can get an imp anyways. So it looks like its the Silvanshee for me.

However, do I get the exact same Silvanshee thats in the book, with just more HP, HD, and better saves, as well as the abilities on the ability table? Do I use the exact STR, DEX, CON, etc thats in the beastiary? How many lay on hands would I have at this level, and how powerful would it be?

The rules on this seem a little vague, however I may be just missing something.

Glade Riven

Adventurer
It doesn't work quite like 3.5. The information on familiars is found under Wizard in the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook. According to the PDF I have, it is on page 83-84. Neither Imp or Silvanshee are listed in the core book. Imps are found in Bestiary I, and while they can be familiars according to the description, there are no player stats listed (unlike other animals that can be in Bestiary I and II). I don't see the Silvanshee is either book.

Dingo333

First Post
It doesn't work quite like 3.5. The information on familiars is found under Wizard in the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Core Rulebook. According to the PDF I have, it is on page 83-84. Neither Imp or Silvanshee are listed in the core book. Imps are found in Bestiary I, and while they can be familiars according to the description, there are no player stats listed (unlike other animals that can be in Bestiary I and II). I don't see the Silvanshee is either book.

The silvanshee is in B2, under the Agathions (page 21). Its description says it may be taken as a familiar, but only lists the feat as a prereq, but hints at others. I would assume the others are Level 7, and within 1 step in alignment (NG prefered, CG, LG, or N). This is what is used on other similar outsides

Comparing rules in front of me, it would seem it retains its physical scores, wisdom and charisma (Intelligence changes as noted) its base Nat armor increases as noted in wizards section and its lay on hands increases to be the same as a paladin equal in level to yourself (Agathion subtype in the back explains that)

It would seem this is one of the better choices for a familiar as you can have great healing with the creature's lay on hands ability (despite it not having hands)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads