Trying to make 5e more oldish and want some people's opinions

Sadras

Legend
1. Short rest 8 hours of rest – Long rest 1 week of normal rest or 3 days with healer
- Must have someone with healing proficiency or healing pollutes or similar

This is by far the most sensitive ruling you have on your list and I'd be weary about changing this without real experience in the base game already like many upthread have said. That said, I do think Rests and Magic are the two major considerations for DMs.

4. Critical hits and failures in combat cause a roll on a table for extra effects, a critical can instra kill anyone if the roll is right

Many (and personally I) consider this a terrible idea.
You'd have to explain why a higher level fighter with a greater number of attacks has a greater chance of fumbling than a lower level fighter.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter

9. Wizard spells -- failure of understanding. Wizards don't automatically know any spell. They get 2 per level just like in 2e. Everything else they have to find the soell and take the time and money to learn it.

I think the OP was concerned that the wizard CAN choose ANY spell as they level up, so technically they could "know any spell".

I.e. nothing restricting them from choosing any one particular spell.

1. Short rest 8 hours of rest – Long rest 1 week of normal rest or 3 days with healer
This should be basically fine, and it's one of the suggested optional rules, but keep in mind that the classes are balanced around the concept of six encounters between long rests, with two short rests at equal intervals (two fights, then a short rest, two fights, then a short rest, two fights, then a long rest). If you change the length of the rests, then warlocks are probably going to end up either over-powered or under-powered. You may want to consider banning warlocks outright, as a preventive measure.
2. Being proficient with martial weapons lets you choose 5 weapons from the martial weapon list to be proficient with and have +1 to attacks in all other weapons
-being proficient with simple weapons lets you choose 8 weapons from the simple weapon list to be proficient in and +1 to all others
This is fine, if you want a little bit more realism. The only reason they changed it in the first place was to make bookkeeping easier. It shouldn't actually affect anything in the game, unless you happen to find a magic weapon that the fighter can't use.
7. Reading and writing will be an intelligence skill and can be chosen by any class or race instead of one being given
That should be fine, as long as the NPCs act accordingly.
I will also be changing the magic system to be more like 2e with the spheres as to me it doesn't make sense that a cleric of life would be able to raise any undead.
I will probably also do something to wizards as being able to pick any spell and just know it without any training or even know of the spells existence seems OP and doesn't make sense to me.
Please tell me what you think of the rules above and if you can think of any more. Thnaks
I'm not sure if you really need to codify the domain sphere thing. You don't need to say that the Life cleric can't raise undead, as long as you never try to raise undead when you play a Life cleric.

For wizards, the spells in the PHB are supposed to be the most common spells that everyone would have heard about. There's no expectation that every wizard could automatically choose to learn some secret spells, or spells from any other book. As the DM, you decide whether any new spell is common or rare. You can also decide that some spells in the PHB are rare, if that's important to your setting (Teleport is the most common case).

Wizards having to rest for a week to recover spells doesn't sound much like 2nd edition to me!

I don't recall insta-kill critical hits in 2nd edition either.

As for the weapon and language restrictions, sure, if you like lots of fiddly extra book-keeping that has minimal effect on gameplay, why not?!

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
In short, I'd recommend you play without changes before making any. Lost Mines of Phandelver is a great intro adventure and very well written. Try it with the core rules and find out what works for you and doesn't rather than assuming.

That said, I would really recommend playing the regular system for a while before changing around the fiddly bits, like weapon speed and critical hits and rules for wizards and spheres; try to enjoy the new before changing it to the familiar. :)

This is advice that I reccomend heeding.

Dessert Nomad

Adventurer
Casters having to wait a week to recover spells isn't like any edition of AD&D that I've experienced; 'sleep to get back your spells' is extremely traditional. If you want to use that to make adventures progress slower it's a standard variant rule, and will result in a slower game based around an adventuring week instead of an adventuring day, which may work for you. But it's not going to make anyone think "oh, casters needing a week of rest to recover spells, that harkens back to classic versions of the game!"

The proficiencies with a really limited number of weapons is a weird gamey thing that has never made a lick of sense. The idea that a warrior who spends his time training to use weapons would be adept at using a footman's mace but clueless using a slightly smaller horseman's version of the same weapon, or that he'd be good at using a full size spear but befuddled by a javelin. I urge you not to have things include like this in your game: "Oh, I see you're able to use a long sword and a broad sword, but you're completely befuddled by the slightly smaller short sword and scimitar, or by a dagger. You'll need to spend months training to learn to use them" or "Oh, you're good at using this long pole with an axe blade on the end, however what you've found is a long pole with an axe blade on the end AND a spike on the opposite side of the axe blade, it will take months to learn how this weapon works".

The idea that someone with a dagger will have an initiative advantage over someone with a sword is another hilariously unrealistic artifact from old D&D. If you want to see this in action, make a couple of mock weapons out of dowel rod, pipe insulation, and electrical tape, then get someone to go outside and spar with you. The guy wielding a sword-length weapon is going to have a much easier time scoring hits than the guy with a dagger-length weapon, he clearly has the initiative both in terms of striking first and controlling the fight. If neither person is exceptionally more skilled or athletic than the other, then the dagger guy is just going to lose over and over again. Again, I urge you not to preserve unrealistic oddities from old game systems for the sake of preserving them.

Critical failures implemented as 'if you roll a 1, bad stuff happens' are also weird gamey things that aren't part of traditional D&D. They bias the game towards casters over melee unless you also include critical spell failures, and have the really weird effect that better melee combatants, who get multiple attacks, end up hurting themselves with their weapons much more often.

Oofta

Legend
I agree with most of what's posted by others. Well, except when [MENTION=6799753]lowkey13[/MENTION] says he's "a (sometimes) grumpy grognard". He's selling himself short, he's pretty much always a grumpy grognard and should own his truth! :p

Just to reiterate:
  • Play straight 5E a game or so and see how it goes.
  • Consider starting with the basic rules.
  • I use the alternate rules where a short rest is overnight and a long rest is several days, it's one of the few major tweaks to "vanilla" D&D that I use.
  • Critical successes and failures are a pain. Critical failures in particularly penalize fighters far, far more than any other class. Either modify the rule (I played around with a saving throw based on class and level) or just don't use it which is what I ultimately did.

In any case, I find that once you get over the initial change of rules the games feel a lot the same. Good luck!

Satyrn

First Post
Making literacy take a whole skill "slot" seems excessive to me. I recommend making it a language proficiency. Perhaps even making it one lang- no; making it one alphabet per proficiency.

So, like having literacy (dwarven alphabet) means you can read and write whatever languages you fan speak that use that alphabet.

Remove ads